from previous
THR: Why did you decide to build the story around a love affair?

Jolie: I'm sure people will read different things into it, but the overall theme for me was intervention and what happens to people when war breaks out and how, over the years, they are tested -- whether a couple, or a father and son or friends -- and pulled apart, how they keep trying to hold on to their humanity but it keeps getting strained. The longer it takes to intervene and the more they witness, the more they are pushed to the edge. That's why it's so important to prevent conflict and when it happens, to educate ourselves as quickly as possible. It's not just buildings that are blown up, it's the souls of people that are affected and broken over the years.

THR: The shoot for In the Land of Blood and Honey wrapped after 41 days, while it took three years to make Kung Fu Panda 2. Jen, how did you manage?

Nelson: It's a long process, and you have to know exactly what's going to happen next. You can't do coverage. Everything has to be planned ahead of time. And you have to make sure that people are still motivated and happy and creatively challenged so that it can all be stitched together. The voice acting starts after a lot of the storyboards are done. With Angie, things would change when we got into the booth and played with her lines. We would discover things in the moment and rewrite the script on the spot. She really knows the character, so when she would say, "A tiger wouldn't say that," she was absolutely right. She gives Tigress that extra level, and that's why people like the character so much. Sometimes, Angie's kids would be in the booth with me. Maddox would say, "That take was good," and I'd think, OK, he likes it, let's take that one.

PHOTOS: Hollywood's 10 Highest-Paid Actresses

THR: Is it hard to believe that you're the first woman to direct an animated studio film?

Nelson: I don't think about the gender thing very much. But when I speak at schools, I've had female students say to me afterwards, "I never envisioned myself being a director, since I've never seen women do it." But after seeing me, they can picture themselves directing, so maybe we'll see more female directors. And half of these kids in art and animation schools are girls.

Jolie: You should be very proud to have led the way.

THR: Are you nervous about awards season? Jen, Kung Fu Panda 2 leads all Annie nominations with 12 mentions. And Land of Blood and Honey seems like a shoo-in for a Golden Globe nomination for best foreign language film.

Nelson: It's a totally different side of things. When you make a movie, it's just so personal and then you put it out in front of people and it becomes something else.

Jolie: I honestly can't even think about that. I'm just hoping the movie isn't a complete disaster.

THR: Angie, what's your next role? I know you recently signed a deal to star in Ridley Scott's movie about Gertrude Bell, who played an instrumental role in the formation of the modern Middle East.

Jolie: It's been a very hard one to get financing for, because it isn't a small movie. I also want to do Maleficent at Disney, but we need a director.

THR: Do you both want to direct again?

Jolie: I don't know how confident I am yet that I can direct.

Nelson: You should do it again.

Jolie: No, you do it next. I'll jump into anything you direct.

Nelson: I'm working on something, but I can't talk about it.

THR: Is there a Kung Fu Panda 3 in the works?

Nelson: There's plenty left to tell.

Jolie: We can say we are in discussions. Tigress is my alternate personality, especially with children. I love animation because you get to do things you don't normally get to. For one, I could bring my kids and wear my pajamas, and hang out with Jen. And my character is just so badass.

Nelson: And the stunts are safe.

Jolie: Yes, eating pizza is the hardest stunt we did.

♦♦♦♦♦

FEMALE DIRECTORS AT THE WORLD BOX OFFICE

1. Kung Fu Panda 2: $663 million
DAW/Paramount (2011)

Jennifer Yuh Nelson's sequel narrowly bested the $631.7 million earned by the original Kung Fu Panda.

2. Mamma Mia!: $609.8 million
Universal (2008)

Phyllida Lloyd's film adaptation grossed an astounding $465.7 million overseas.

3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The SqueakQuel: $443.1 million
Fox (2009)

Director Betty Thomas' other credits include Doctor Dolittle and 28 Days.

4. Twilight: $392.6 million
Summit (2008)

Catherine Hardwicke's pic proved that women and girls are as fervent as fanboys.

4. What Women Want: $374.1 million
Paramount (2000)

Like Nora Ephron and Penny Marshall, director Nancy Meyers has cracked the studio system, primarily with romantic comedies. Anne Fletcher another to watch, with The Proposal earning $443.1 million.