Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strikeforce: Evolutions

YEah, that was a bummer. Certainly not in tip top shape. I was really hoping, just for fun, that Cung would have tried for a submission attempt there on the ground. Seems like he will definatley have to totally commit to one career or the other after this.

As a Cung fan its hard to see him go out like that but to a guy good guy like Scott, makes it easier.

There is something offf about Strkeforce. The entrances suck, the crowd didnt seam all that into it and the annoucers are lame.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Cung hits hard, but he doesn't have KO power. That's a fact.
    I agree 100%.

Well, how do you respond to him having 6 (t)ko's prior to last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Cimaroon View Post
    Well, how do you respond to him having 6 (t)ko's prior to last night?
    Look back on his fights, they were not those out-cold-stiff-as-a-mother****ing-board-KOs. They were usually from people who just couldn't defend themselves any further, but they weren't still lying there.

Sure and so what. Lots of guys dont have that type of power. Anderson Silva hasnt excatly KTFO a pile of fighters, GSP, whoever.

Cung is capable of making you see stars and in the past, its been enough. Im sure if he had been training all along like he had in for his other fitghts, he wins last night no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Look back on his fights, they were not those out-cold-stiff-as-a-mother****ing-board-KOs. They were usually from people who just couldn't defend themselves any further, but they weren't still lying there.
    Cung Le does have KO power in his hands. What he does is stuns people and then rushes in for the finish.

Few people have the kind of KO power you describe (where the opponent looks dead or in a seizure).

Even Anderson Silva a reputed knockout artist catches people with flurries rather than knocking them out cold with one shot.

Where Cung Le falls short in MMA is with his ground and pound. He had Smith stunned with that first Spinning Back Kick but his GNP was very weak. After the Morgan fight Cung said that when he was pounding him he really felt the difference between San Shou and MMA. He said it felt like a street fight and thought to himself, "Wow! This sport is violent!".

Cung is a good finisher standing up. When he has you hurt he can usually put you away. Watch the Altman, Warren and Fryklund fights. Those fights displayed KO power.

Cung could have pulled off a decision in this fight if he had been more careful. I think he gassed and couldn't keep kicking Scott to the body. If he had just kept his distance for the last 2 minutes rather than trading shots he would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
    Cung could have pulled off a decision in this fight if he had been more careful. I think he gassed and couldn't keep kicking Scott to the body. If he had just kept his distance for the last 2 minutes rather than trading shots he would have won.
    Or, if he would have had KO power, the fight would have been over in the first or second rounds, in which he landed multiple clean shots.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Or, if he would have had KO power, the fight would have been over in the first or second rounds, in which he landed multiple clean shots.
    Scott Smith deserves credit for his chin. Remember that Cung knocked out 3 of his 6 opponents out with punches, two in the first Round and sent one to the hospital from a body kick (also broke Frank Shamrock's arm with a kick).

Those kicks definitely have power they're just hard to land flush. Smith admitted in a post fight interview that he was dazed from the first Spinning Back Kick.

Cung's kicks don't have the devastating KO power of someone like Mirko Crocop but they can hurt you.

Cung is good at finishing opponents standing. He didn't finish Smith on the ground because his ground and pound is weak.

It's his 1st loss, so I don't know why some of you are acting like he's washed up now... I will say Big John showed why he's the best ref in the business by allowing the fight to go on at the end of the 1st round -- a lot of other refs may have called it there. Tough loss for Cung after dominating early, but kudos to Smith for hanging in there.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

lol cung is a way more power and smooth kicker than cro cop

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

"Where Cung Le falls short in MMA is with his ground and pound. He had Smith stunned with that first Spinning Back Kick but his GNP was very weak. After the Morgan fight Cung said that when he was pounding him he really felt the difference between San Shou and MMA. He said it felt like a street fight and thought to himself, "Wow! This sport is violent!".

True. You could kind of see that in Cung when he was trying to pound out SCott on the ground...like " Why the **** am I doing this". Cung does seem to real or too respectfull to want to put someone out like that. Not to hard to understand.

Guys, as any fighter will tell you, on ANY GIVEN DAY, ANYONE can get his lights knocked out.
    It is just a fact of life as a fighter,period.
    No matter how well a fighter maybe doing, at any given time it can turn like THAT *snap of fingers*.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Where Cung Le falls short in MMA is with his ground and pound. He had Smith stunned with that first Spinning Back Kick but his GNP was very weak. After the Morgan fight Cung said that when he was pounding him he really felt the difference between San Shou and MMA. He said it felt like a street fight and thought to himself, "Wow! This sport is violent!".
    I gotta be honest, as someone that has fought "MMA", I am not sure where Cung got that from, if he said it.
    The GnP CAN be very brutal but for the guy on top ( as was the case with Cung's comment) you are in close to total control and the extent of damage is in you hands, literally.
    You can be as vicious or as controlled in the GnP as you want.
    You can use it to GnP a submission or to set up a more "civil" submission by cokes and/ or locks.
    Really, if Cung was insinuating that he wasn't "violent" enough to use the GnP to full benefit then he has had some pretty bad coaching.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Guys, as any fighter will tell you, on ANY GIVEN DAY, ANYONE can get his lights knocked out.
    It is just a fact of life as a fighter,period.
    No matter how well a fighter maybe doing, at any given time it can turn like THAT *snap of fingers*.
    100% truth...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.