Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressiveness toward Strangers

Aggressiveness toward Strangers

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...strangers.html

So here's a study I found a little while back, I thought I'd post it up here. Its not a study on Martial arts, but on gaming. However, I feel it applies to sparring and competitive activity in the gym.

The basic gist is that people engaging in a competitive activity are far more aggressive toward people who they don't know. Whether this competitive activity involves fighting, sparring, gaming, etc. the same basic idea stands.

Now, I'd say most of the respected posters on this board believe in sparring against people outside your school, but I feel this study reinforces that idea that simply sparring against people you know, can be detrimental to your development and skill in the martial arts, as the level of aggression between the two(or more) is significantly less.

What do you think?
    Last edited by AdrianK; 10-06-2009 at 07:45 PM.

I agree

About Seven months ago. My Girl and I along with two other friends went to play Laser Tag. I haven't done that since I was a kid. But there were some young people there too. Some of the workers about ten of them who were on break went in too. Along with a guy who was hunter. He was an middle age white man who took his daughter along with him. But it was an extreme rush. However I enjoyed Shooting everyone. My whole zone was to kill everything that moves. I occasionally shot friends, I remained low, ducked behind corners to hide my sensor vest. I ended up being ranked #1. It was an extreme rush I enjoyed killing the strangers especially the thrill of shooting others who had experience in this game was exhilirating. I would say if you get a chance you and buddy try it sometime...its the best.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

No disrespect to either you, AdrianK, or the scientists, and the testosterone effects are interesting, but to me this sounds like validation of the obvious.

I thikn of you're competing with a stranger, the urge to establish dominance is a very primitive one. With someone you know, that's been established to a major degree, and so the stress levels are less, plus you're usually reluctant to go to the point of affecting whatever relationship you may have.

I've been rereading surfing champ Kelly Slater's biography recently. He has some interesting observations about competing and beating close friends and others. He is/was supercompetitive, however, and I'm not sure his actions/reactions are anywhere near the middle of the bell curve.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Please give more insight anerlich to what you mean concerning the bell curve...

Very interesting observation. How ever your statement concerning friends and relationship is kinda of point with AdrianK.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    No disrespect to either you, AdrianK, or the scientists, and the testosterone effects are interesting, but to me this sounds like validation of the obvious.

I thikn of you're competing with a stranger, the urge to establish dominance is a very primitive one. With someone you know, that's been established to a major degree, and so the stress levels are less, plus you're usually reluctant to go to the point of affecting whatever relationship you may have.

I've been rereading surfing champ Kelly Slater's biography recently. He has some interesting observations about competing and beating close friends and others. He is/was supercompetitive, however, and I'm not sure his actions/reactions are anywhere near the middle of the bell curve.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Being near the middle of the bell curve means being nearly average.

anerlich is just saying that Kelly Slater is most likely not Mr. Average.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Being near the middle of the bell curve means being nearly average.

anerlich is just saying that Kelly Slater is most likely not Mr. Average.
    Yea I gathered that but in one instance he said "With someone you know, that's been established to a major degree, and so the stress levels are less, plus you're usually reluctant to go to the point of affecting whatever relationship you may have."

which i believe to be saying virtually the same thing as the article. Maybe I missed something. Please share if you think I did?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Yea I gathered that but in one instance he said "With someone you know, that's been established to a major degree, and so the stress levels are less, plus you're usually reluctant to go to the point of affecting whatever relationship you may have."

which i believe to be saying virtually the same thing as the article. Maybe I missed something. Please share if you think I did?
    I read it as: "You already know yuor friends/training partners. Who is better, etc. You're not necessarily striving all out to dominate each other. e.g. you won't get fighter's from the same gym competing against each other in comps.

But with someone ultra-competitive like Kelly Slater, he will strive against friend and foe alike. But such behaviour is likely not the norm".

It boils down to human nature, we are compelled to dominate.

I could give you my insights about the bell curve, but then you could do your own research for a change ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

How ever your statement concerning friends and relationship is kinda of point with AdrianK.
    No sh1t, Sherlock. And your problem with that is ... ?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

I agree Anerlich that it is a completely obvious conclusion. However, I always feel that given the unreliable nature of personal experience, that any claims or ideas I have, no matter how obvious, should always be backed up by scientific fact.

And even if the majority never will be, I appreciate studies like this that can relate to even a fraction of what I consider, logical ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    I agree Anerlich that it is a completely obvious conclusion. However, I always feel that given the unreliable nature of personal experience, that any claims or ideas I have, no matter how obvious, should always be backed up by scientific fact.

And even if the majority never will be, I appreciate studies like this that can relate to even a fraction of what I consider, logical ideas.
    Absolutely. It was still very interesting even if the conclusion matched expectations. And there's no such thing as too much validation. Thanks for posting it.

I could give you my insights about the bell curve, but then you could do your own research for a change ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

No sh1t, Sherlock. And your problem with that is ... ?
    Oh the way you worded things seem as if you were disagreeing with the study. But then you turn around agree with it? An by saying one guy is not the norm. That is still agreeing with the study? I guess I missed your point entirely?

Do you agree with the study or not?

I guess I missed your point entirely?
    So it would appear.

I don't "agree" or "disagree" with empirical results.

I don't "agree" or "disagree" with empirical results.
    Well said, Andrew.
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

The core question for martial artists, I think, is at what point do we start provoking the conflicts we "need to defend against"? What precisely is the difference between a pervasive martial presence, and a simple case of bad attitude?

As an aside, aggression is clearly not skill, as any of us can easily beat up the average "aggressive gamer"...