Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 10th World Wushu Games

It is unfortunate but there is a slightly different concept of what is and is not ethical in China.

China has a number of contradictions. For example, there are many stories of historical and literary heroes standing up for the weak, the poor, the nation as a whole, etc.. Yue Feh is one example. So, there is this ideal of one should be a hero like Yue Feh... Yet at the same time, there is the very common saying about standing up and out "The nail that stands up gets beaten down" that compared to the hero idea can make one totally bipolar.

Similarly, there is the idea that you should be honest.... and smart. Yet if you get cheated by a professional con man who cheats the best of 'em, you are talked about as being "stupid - Gan Do"

So, should we be surprised that in Chinese Competitions, they go to great lengths to have certified and qualified judges. Yet at the same time, the different colleges for wushu send judges from their school...and it is understood that if the beginner judge does not score in favor of their home team, they probably won't get the chance again.

So, we take that idea of "look the other way" and built in retribution and expand the sport out of China...and big surprise...it works the same way.

Shouldn't...but it DOES.

As for Sanshou's problem in the US started with politics. The Boxing Commission and licensing issues have been a plague since 1995 in Baltimore.... So, the possibility of building a sport that has no way of getting going unless those interested in competition obtain a license and the ones putting on an event are licensed with quite often corrupt Boxing Commissions...and then the required insurance...

Well, let's just say Custer had a better chance at the Little Big Horn than Sanshou did of taking hold.

some more coverage...

This is sort of a human interest story, not really a report.
    Crouching Tigers & Hidden Dragons: Chinese Wushu flourishes in Canada
    www.chinaview.cn 2009-10-30 07:27:09

By Huang Xiaoyun

TORONTO, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) -- Jonathan Leung had a very different childhood from others of his age. He started the wushu training at five at the Ji Hong Wushu & Taichi College in Canada's western city of Edmonton. And he had to practice certain movements every day while his peers went out to play.

The 18-years-old Leung just represented Team Canada in the non-combative Taolu discipline at the 10th World Wushu Championships (WWC) at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto, which was held from October 24 to 29. More than 600 competitors from 72 countries participated in the event held by International Wushu Federation every two years.

Wushu, the Chinese term for Martial Arts, is divided into two groups. The combative elements of Wushu are known as Sanshou and feature spectacular full contact fighting. The non-combative, ritualistic elements are known as Taolu and consist of highly artistic and precise routines.

It is the first time the event has taken place in Canada, and the second time in North America. This year Canada is represented by 20 athletes including Leung, 10 in Taolu discipline and 10 in Sanshou segment. Some of them are in the top rankings in the world and already won some international medals including Pan American Wushu Championships, Junior World Championships.

"We see it is a great opportunity to raise awareness about Wushu in Canada and in the world," Sunny Tang, President of Wushu Canada, said of the championship in a recent interview with Xinhua.

Though this sport was officially born in 1949, when the People's Republic of China melded over 300 martial arts disciplines into a single athletic pursuit, Wushu was not introduced as a sport to Canada until 18 years ago.

Before that, Canadians only knew Wushu as a traditional Chinese martial art from action movies starring Wushu masters like Jack Chan or Bruce Lee.

Tang, also president of Sunny Tang Martial Arts Center in Toronto, organized Canada's first national Wushu team for the 3rd World Wushu Championships in 1993.

"Our team was very weak," recalled Tang. "There was not a tiny chance for us to win a medal, not to mention a gold!"

Situation is totally different now. Margherita Cina, one of Tang's students, brought the first gold medal for Team Canada in Taolu Women's Jianshu (double-edged sword) on October 26. Cina, a first year student of Arts and Sciences at McMaster University joined Sunny Tang Martial Arts Centre when she was five years old.

"Canada is ranked No. 1 among the non-Asian countries in Wushu competition!" Eileen Fauster, President Wushu Ontario, said with pride.

The number of registered members of Wushu Canada has increased to more than 5,000 in five years, including 3,600 in Ontario. Since 2006, Wushu Ontario has received funding from the provincial government every year to further increase awareness of the sport.

Last year, Canadian Wushu athletes brought home 13 medals - including three gold medals in the Taolu competition - from the World Junior Wushu Championships in Indonesia. Canada finished fifth in overall medal standings at the event. This is the highest ranking for a North American country in this traditionally Asian-dominated sport.

"Students not only learn how to defend themselves, but also learn how to be self-disciplined, humble and good team players," said Fauster, also a student of the Sunny Tang Martial Arts Centre. Fauster has practiced Ving Tsun, one of the Wushu disciplines, for10 years and won the Bronze medal at the 2nd World Traditional Wushu Championships in Zhengzhou, China in 2006 at an age of 44.

Hongyuan Luo, President of Ji Hong Wushu & Taichi College, attributed the growth of Wushu in Canada to the increased international exchanges of talents and theories.

Wushu is an official sport in Asia. Many Asian countries have professional Wushu athletes, while all the athletes in Canada are amateurs. China, where Wushu is originated, has always the highest level of Wushu performance and competition.

In recent years, many professional Wushu coaches and gold medal winners from China and other Asian countries came to Canada to coach students in Wushu schools, or set up their own Wushu schools. The most up-to-date Wushu teaching practices they brought to Canada helped the country's Wushu practitioners a lot at both theoretical and technical level.

Luo's own experience is a good example. Luo and his wife Daijuan Gu were both Wushu majors at the University of Guangzhou, China and practiced Taichi since childhood. They had been instructors and lecturers at the South China Normal University in Guangzhou before they moved to Edmonton in 1988 and set up Ji HongWushu & Taichi College in Edmonton in 1989.

Now Luo's college has three branches in Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto, with a total of more than 1,000 students. Some of their students in Edmonton have been learning Taichi from them since 1989 because they found out there is always something new to learn.

"Wushu can push people to work hard and be the best," said Fauster. "I see our Wushu athletes have won scholarships and bursaries from universities. They always want to be the best."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The cake is a lie.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    It is unfortunate but there is a slightly different concept of what is and is not ethical in China.
    I forget the exact quote, but in Cantonese there is a saying that basicly goes "the clever one cheats people out of money and avoids paying his debts"

PS: san shou was doing fine without the USA WKF and the IWUF but the commissions in NY and CA killed the two promotions that were driving the sport
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Some final reports

At least Malaysia cares
    Wushu: Say Yoke and Diana bag medals in Toronto
    2009/10/30
    Ajitpal Singh

NG Say Yoke and Diana Bong added two bronze medals to Malaysia's haul in the Wushu World Championships in Toronto on Wednesday.

Say Yoke, after failing in two earlier events, produced a splendid performance to secure the bronze in the men's daoshu (sword) discipline with 9.72 points.

The Kedah-born exponent had finished fifth in the changquan (northern style barehands) and gunshu (stick) events earlier in the week.

It was Say Yoke's first world meet medal since his debut in the 2002 edition in Beijing.

Meanwhile, Diana, a 2007 Sea Games gold medallist, earned 9.64 points for third place in the women's nangun (cudgel).

The Sarawak-born exponent had earlier finished fifth in nanquan (southern style barehands) and seventh in nando (broadsword).

The bronze is her second World Championship medal after taking the silver in nanquan in the Beijing edition two years ago.

The two bronze medals boosted Malaysia's haul to two gold, one silver and five bronze after Wednesday's proceedings.

The two gold medals came from men's exponents Ho Mun Hua and Lee Yang in nanquan and taijiquan events respectively.

The silver was delivered by Loh Jack Chang in taijijian (taiji sword). The national squad newcomer also secured a bronze in taijiquan.

Fellow debutante Tai Cheau Xuen earned bronze medals in women's nanquan and nandao
    Friday October 30, 2009
    Say Yoke and Diana end stint with podium spots
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: Wushu exponents Ng Say Yoke and Diana Bong Siong Lin signed off from the world championships in style with bronze medal-winning performances in Toronto on Wednesday.

After coming out empty-handed in the changquan (northern style bare hands) and gunshu (stick) competitions, both in fifth place, Say Yoke secured a place on the podium in the men’s daoshu (sword) event with a score of 9.72.

It was the first world championship medal for the Kedah exponent since he made his debut for the national team in the last edition of the biennial series in Beijing.
    Fruitful outings: Diana Bong Siong Lin and Ng Say Yoke (inset) won bronze medals at the world wushu championships in Toronto on Wednesday.

Korat SEA Games gold medallist Diana will come home with a world championship medal for the second time.

The Sarawakian earned 9.64 for her display in the women’s nangun (cudgel) competition.

Diana, who won the silver in nanquan two years ago, had ended out of the medals in seventh place in nandao (broadsword) and fifth in nanquan (southern style bare hands).

The two bronze medals from Say Yoke and Diana brought Malaysia’s tally to 2-1-5 with one day of competition remaining.

The two gold medals were won in men’s competitions by Ho Mun Hua (nanquan) and Lee Yang (taijiquan). The silver came from Loh Jack Chang in taijijian (taiji sword) and the national squad newcomer also secured a bronze in taijiquan.

Debutant Tai Cheau Xuen earned two bronze medals in women’s nanquan and nandao.

The 2006 Doha Asian Games gold medallist, Chai Fong Ying, who finished a disappointing 11th in taijiquan on Tuesday, will be hoping to make amends in the taijijian competition, which is one of the three events contested on the final day.

The other two are the men’s and women’s dual events.
    And Iran comes in second after China, beating out HK.
    Iran comes 2nd at Wushu World Championships
    Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:05:31 GMT

The Iranians came second with five gold, six silver and one bronze medal in the event, IRNA reported on Friday.

China won the championships after earning fourteen gold and one bronze medal while Hong Kong were third with three gold, six silver and three bronze medals.

The 10th Wushu World Championships was held at Ricoh Coliseum and the Direct Energy Centre, October 24-29.

About 1000 athletes from 73 countries took part in the event organized by the International Wushu Federation every two years.

Twenty Iranian athletes, both men and women, participated in the six-day event.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sanshou

quickly glanced at what was posted online

1. WOW! China beat Ataev! WOW

2. Were there only 2 Americans this time? Max and Kasey??

3. Final results, a lot of the same power houses but a few relatively new nations in the finals, nice to see that at least

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

This Youtube poster has nicely uploaded a bunch of the competitors' performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjv1...eature=related
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 10-30-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Here are some of the San Shou matches.

10th WWC San Shou - 70kg - ITA. vs. LIB.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwAEzebSpSo

75kg - RUssia vs. Iran
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bJoQ...eature=channel

Brasil Vs. Bermuda round 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TDsS2t_5w
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Well, that's over and done...

We got an earful of reports already - nothing we can share from our position, I'm afraid. But I'll look forward to any rumors/tales any of you might have heard....
    Costly wushu oversight
    By Beth Celis
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 23:32:00 10/31/2009

Did you know that weigh-ins are also required in some wushu events?

I only found this out recently after the Filipino contingent in the recent 10th Wushu World Championship
    in Toronto, Canada, was not allowed to participate for arriving late for the weigh-in, which is required in the Sanshou event.

Only one athlete
    , Stephanie Agbay, was able to compete. Taolu, where she finished 11th, did not require a weigh-in.

It was a waste of time, money and effort but no one blamed the NSA since it was the association that shouldered all the expenses.

Insiders said the costly oversight never happened before. Tan Si Ling, who led the RP group in Toronto, is one of two new presidents elected by the federation. The other is Tai Lian.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I do have to ask a question of Gene here.

While I will 100% agree with you that the magazine should not indulge in repeating rumors, innuendo, gossip, or sour-grapes complaints...

I would differ in the idea that the magazine, as a somewhat journalistic endeavor that is not simply publishing articles written by freelance submitters...but also publishing articles of news and interest to those in the community of Chinese Martial Artists - there is an obligation to report on the news - good and bad - and do at least some level of analysis.

Granted, when you actually do the job of reporting on a competition - whether it be an IWuF international event or a US only event - you can very easily find yourself pi$$ing off the promoter or the organization doing the event if you actually report fairly on problems.

But, at the same time, if problems are brought to light, there is a much higher chance that they will be addressed.

It would seem that an interview with the folks from the Phillippines - combined with an interview or responses from the IWuF officials who made the decisions concerning them would be reasonable...and balanced reporting.

Similarly, if there were any other issues, covering both sides of the story would seem appropriate.

So, if you were to do it journalistically, Why Not?

I support Gene, he's in a unique position

I was recently offered a "political postion" that I turned down, it would require a certain positon, certain conflicts of interest, etc... I prefer to be me, willing to say anything no matter who gets pizzed off

back in the day, MANY of the us sanshou folks basicly said "you can't say and do those things!" yet they privately agreed with me and ultimately, I was right

if I hear anything more, I'll be willing to share!

I would differ in the idea that the magazine...

...hold the phone, GLW. It's me you're talking to. When have I shied away from reporting what I see at a tournament or event? Remember what we did when reporting the Wushu Tournament Beijing?

The rumors so far are your typical bellyaching so far - nothing substantial yet, nothing a journalist would act upon. Perhaps I phrased that too provocatively. I didn't mean to do so.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

what happened to my original "I support Gene" post?

Kung Fu is good for you.

There was an original "I support Gene" post?

The forum has been a little unstable today. I blame all those pesky ninjas. Anyways, thanks for the support.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips