Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10th World Wushu Games

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

ricoh only seats about 8000.
    it was sarcasm, they said they were going to have 50,000 spectators and didn't you say that was possible over 5 days?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Anyway, why didn't you send any guys up for the san shou?
    In the US, the real sanshou teams gave up on the IWUF and the USA WKF a long time ago.. it's corrupt, the people running it are clowns, it's dangerous and there is no recognition for even doing it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Two immediate observations from the limited san shou info Gene put up

1) WOW! lots of the same figures from the past still in there... which is BAD NEWS for newbies... Majorly experienced very tough guys still in there banging away

2) Only US result I saw was a LOSS by technical victory to France. Losing by TV is pretty bad to begin with, losing by TV to France is like being gang raped by parapalegics...

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

so, if the real teams gave up, why haven't they formed their own sanctioning body?

I don't understand?

The wba doesn't really care about the wbf, they do their business with or without each other and why can't that be the same.

I speculated that getting 50k passing through wouldn't be a biggie especially if they opened up the exhibit next door as free.

50k in paying people for any ma event that isn't sanctioned boxing, ufc or ufc level of competition is a rough go for anyone really I would think.

not saying it isn't possible, it is, just saying that it isn't common because people go with the flow for the most part.

this kind of stuff is niche and not mainstream at all.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

In dealing with the IWuF, you have to keep in mind you are dealing with a Chinese organization.

Connections and history - face and mutual respect have a lot to do with what happens.

So, in that light, any new organization in ANY country coming up and taking the recognized organization spot from an existing organization in a country is highly unlikely.

Now, this CAN be done...and has been attempted in at least one South American country about 10 years ago. The recognized organization there had some major ethics and legal problems from everything I had heard. However, it was not and probably would never be proved in a court.... So the IWuF took the approach that such a disagreement was an internal issue to the country and that unless that was settled legally by that country, the recognition of the governing body would not change.

Along with that decision was also an under the table implied discussion that sort of went like "We feel your pain...and for a PRICE, anything is possible..."

But then the idea of an auction with recognition going to the highest bidder comes up.

What Ross is talking about is that the IWuF recognition only really buys you something if you want to compete in the IWuF events - typically one event every 2 years. Since Wushu and Sanshou did not make the Olympics, there is not much beyond that to be gained by the outlay of cash.

Politics aside.

you may also have your own grassroot organisations.

you may adopt similar rules or modified them.

even thou you may not be "recognised".

it is your crowd and your own 'hood (town and country).

still have fun.

In Taiwan, there are more civilian/folks organisations and events than government sponsored org or events.

In China, yes most if not all org and events are government "sanctioned".

sports or any physical activites belong to the people.

It would be nice to have wushu academy, wushu at college, wushu at university, wushu at graduate school etc etc. It is a highly "controlled" system in PR China.

but again, Wushu comes from the people and belongs to the people.

---

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post

In dealing with the IWuF, you have to keep in mind you are dealing with a Chinese organization.
    and everything involved in dealing with a Chinese organization

the IWuF took the approach that such a disagreement was an internal issue to the country and that unless that was settled legally by that country, the recognition of the governing body would not change.
    I think you meant NORTH AMERICAN country, like *cough*USA*cough*anthonygoh*cough*shawnliu*cough*b s*cough

oh, the dust in here

Not much coverage today either

Here's a new found article that covers an earlier article.
    Blunder costs RP wushu team’s world meet ticket
    By Julius Manicad
    10/27/2009

Wushu, the sport which gave the country a brief moment of glory for winning the gold medal as a demonstration sport in the 2008 Beijing Olympics — came up with a humiliating, world-class blunder this time.

A strong six-man contingent is expected to be sent back home anytime soon after it was barred from seeing action in the 10th World Wushu Championships in Canada for its leaders’ failure to beat the deadline for the submission of official entries.

According to a prominent wushu insider, the team got to the meet very late, prompting organizers to bar it from joining the official weigh-in, and the entire tournament for good.

The team also went there without a “real coach.”

It will be the first time for the Filipino wushu artists return from the prestigious tourney empty-handed as they have been consistently clinching gold medals since 1993.

The source, a ranking official in the Wushu Federation of the Philippines (WFP), said the team could have been a sure winner despite the absence of Willy Wang — the gold medalist in the Beijing Games.

Wang, who retired shortly after his triumphant effort, wasn’t able to train after he was branded unsupportive to the group of erstwhile wushu boss Julian Camacho.

Olympic silver medalist Marian Mariano and bronze medalist Mary Jane Estimar led the delegation along with Edward Foloyang, Jesse Aligaga, Mark Ediva and Stephanie Agbay, who had to dig into her own pocket to finance her trip.

“They reached Canada, but because their team official is not knowledgeable in wushu, they arrived late for the weigh-in and the whole team of sanshou was disqualified,” the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“This will be the first time we won’t be able to join despite the huge expense from the federation due to (the) inefficiency and technical ignorance of the (WFP) president and Camacho,” the source said.

No government money was spent on the trip.

“It’s a good thing that the PSC (Philippine Sports Commission) did not extend financial assistance for this trip,” PSC chairman Harry Angping said, expressing disappointment over the fate of the squad tasked to deliver medals in the 25th Southeast Asian Games.
    Some Taolu results are up. Here are some U.S. results:

Alfred Hsing did take gold in Jianshu. It's his year. He was also in Deadliest Warrior on Spike earlier this year.

Colvin Wang took silver in Qiangshu. He also placed 8th in Jianshu.

Sarah Chang placed 8th in Changquan and Joanna Pei 5th in Daoshu.

Sanshou finals don't take place until 10/29.

On a final note, I'm pleased to say that if you search "world wushu games" on Google, this very thread comes up 4th, right after www.beijingwushuteam.com, wikipeida and www.iwuf.org. This thread also occupies the 7th & 8th slots on that first Google search page and the official site doesn't appear.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No...I WAS actually referring to two instances of SOUTH American countries that had issues with their recognized IWuF organization.

In both instances, the recognized groups did NOT have the support of the major Wushu competitors in the country - or their coaches. There were improprieties in the way the teams were selected - indications of collusion, bribes, and so forth.

The IWuF was informed and took the "That is an internal matter to your country." approach.

There were improprieties in the way the teams were selected - indications of collusion, bribes, and so forth.
    well, you know me, I don't hold back, that is exactly what has happened in the US where the sanshou team trials were concerned...

Max won his first fight.

He beat a Brazilian. He's up against an Iranian next.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    He beat a Brazilian. He's up against an Iranian next.
    Brazil followed by Iran, what a rough draw...
    what's after that? Russia and China

More results

Max Erhlich placed 7th in nandao.

Alex Cisne defeated Khalid Pitcher of Bermuda in Men's 80KG, but then lost to Hossein Ojaghi of Iran.

Max lost to Sajjad Abbasiamir of Iran in Men's 70KG. Not sure who the Brazilian was.

Note that I'm just scanning the results from the official site. I got word of Max's win off his FB page.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hossein Ojaghi is a very bad man.....

apparently them persians dont mess around
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    apparently them persians dont mess around
    the power houses in sanshou have always been the IRanians, CHinese, Russians and Brazilians...

in the lighter weights Vietnam and South Korea as well