Thread: Luohan Quan

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post

-----------------------------

I looked through my archives and I found I have a copy of that film in Mandarin with English subtiles. That clip was indeed filmed at Shaolin itself, so it is not Emei. And, it says that the form he is doing is an 18 Luohan Shou set, 18 Luohan Hands, not Luohan Quan.
    Still, it is not one that I have ever seen. It looks like it is just a selection of random movements from Luohan style, which it might have been made just for the film to give an idea of Luohan Quan.
    But, it says the film is from 1994, not 1980s, he kinda looks about 50 years old in that clip, so today he is close to 70 years old, yes?
    Also, it does not give his name at all.

I looked through as many Shaolin clips as I could so far, but I haven't found him in any of them yet.
    Sorry I couldn't have been of more help, if I ever come across him in anything, I will let you know here in this thread.
    Cool, thanks very much for checking! I think there may be different versions of this documentary. Most of the footage of Jet Li for example is early 80's so although some versions of the Docu may have come out in 1994 they clearly used archived footage, which means dating the video is very hard. In the video it is referred to as 18 luohan quan, not as luohan 18 hands. This is another variant style. (there are 18 luohans, each with different characteristics, typically this kung fu would have 9 or 18 sets. 18 luohan fist is the long name of luohan quan, luohan shi ba shou or 18 hands is a different substyle from shaolin, incidentally no one knows the original 18 hands). He may have compiled the form for the movie, but one would only have to look at the way he walked a circle in the form (not a shaolin move), or the expression on his face and his impeccable timing to see he is a high level expert.

I don't recognise the temple in the background, and i am rather familiar with dengfengs various temples. If it were filmed near shaolin I think they would simply have used a famous shaolin master of the time, and filmed shaolins luohan quan. I think this is not filmed in the 90s style,even for china. I think this clip will be an 80's clip. I also estimate the master to be around 70 now.

I can't imagine it is ermei, it doesn't fit. There is a style of Luohan quan practiced in kaifeng which is a little close, but not the same. But If this guy was from this area my teacher would certainly know him. Thousands of famous masters have visited shaolin over the centuries, anyone could have taken this style home with him to any part of china at any time. Its tough to find.

Thanks again for your input, everyone

@ sal,

Yeah, I certainly remember the girl doing snake style in the cave...( snake in the cave, almost an inuendo)... Wushu hottie. She might as well have been naked.

Incidently I always thought of this as just a modern set, has anyone seen an extended style which only uses snake movements?