Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Haywire starring Gina Carano

A little late but there's a shout out to Cynthia Rothrock!

Steven Soderbergh's "Haywire" and the Virtues of Getting Physical with Gina Carano

Written by Joe McCulloch

It’s probably a dereliction of my sworn duties as a dilettantish semi-pro occasional pretend critic to characterize this new Steven Soderbergh joint entirely in terms of genre slop cinema—there’s a prominent visual cite to Charles Burnett’s Killer of Sheep, for god’s sake—but I was still pretty ****ed that nobody in my sparse, 50-and-up weekend evening art movie crowd was moved to stand up and scream “she’s going haywire!!!”

well recieved in Berlin

Gina outclassed all of her opponents in Haywire. Fassbender
    Berlin 2012: Hitting a Woman in ‘Haywire’ Didn’t Faze Michael Fassbender
    3:04 AM PST 2/16/2012 by Scott Roxborough

Claudette Barius/Five Continent Imports LLC
    “It’s not me doing this, it’s my character. I’m here to serve the story,” Fassbender said at the film’s international premiere in Berlin.

BERLIN — Michael Fassbender said he had no problem beating on mixed martial arts fighter-turned-actress Gina Carano in Steven Soderbergh’s new action movie Haywire.

“It didn’t really faze me,” Fassbender said at the Haywire news conference in Berlin, where the film had its international premiere Wednesday night. “This isn’t Michael Fassbender doing this, it’s the character. I’m here to serve the story and the character. And in real life, Gina would beat the **** out of me in any circumstance. I mean, have you seen her on YouTube?”

Carano said despite the brutality onscreen, there weren’t any major injuries resulting from the Haywire shoot. “I broke my finger on Michael’s shoulder once, that’s all,” she said.

Soderbergh added that during one take, Haywire co-star Ewan McGregor kicked Carano in the head. “But she wasn’t bothered," he said. "She asked him if he was all right.”

Haywire was well received at its Berlin premiere, with the festival audience whooping and cheering the film’s kick-butt action sequences. After a week of hard-hitting political and social drama — from Angelina Jolie’s In the Land of Blood and Honey about war crimes in Bosnia to 9/11 in Stephen Daldry’s Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close to the rape of Nanking in Zhang Yimou’s The Flowers of War — Berlin audiences welcomed a chance to lean back and be entertained.

Said Soderbergh, “When I was talking to [Berlinale festival director] Dieter Kosslick, I said I would love to come to the festival with this kind of film and show it at this time — after you’ve seen a lot of heavy drama and you are really ready to relax and just have a good time.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

star power=forien $$

i was mostly kidding about haywire flopping..the reality is indie films like that have in the moment stars like michael fassbender who is the hottest ticket..sell foreign and are probably well in the black before the film is even shot. ill give you an example, john travoltas horrible ode to scientology battlefield earth, was a gigantic flop for everyone involved except the executive producer/financier, a man who own a string of dry cleaners(the real life george jefferson lol) and finances movies on the side...how does he make money? star power he sells the foreign markets individually instead of in groups(so instead of given one company say..paramount the european market, he breaks it down selling it to different distributors in different countries) this maximizes his profits. so while gina garano was a virtual no body in the film world, michael douglass, fassbender, chanun tattum and all the other stars are names that sell foreign market...not to mention soderbergh himself who has a large foreign following.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i was mostly kidding about haywire flopping..the reality is indie films like that have in the moment stars like michael fassbender who is the hottest ticket..sell foreign and are probably well in the black before the film is even shot. ill give you an example, john travoltas horrible ode to scientology battlefield earth, was a gigantic flop for everyone involved except the executive producer/financier, a man who own a string of dry cleaners(the real life george jefferson lol) and finances movies on the side...how does he make money? star power he sells the foreign markets individually instead of in groups(so instead of given one company say..paramount the european market, he breaks it down selling it to different distributors in different countries) this maximizes his profits. so while gina garano was a virtual no body in the film world, michael douglass, fassbender, chanun tattum and all the other stars are names that sell foreign market...not to mention soderbergh himself who has a large foreign following.

here is a good example, this is the foreign distributors for ghost rider: spirit of vengeance:

Audio Visual Enterprises (2012) (Greece) (theatrical)
    Columbia Pictures (2012) (USA) (theatrical)
    E Stars Films (2012) (China) (theatrical)
    Energía Entusiasta (2012) (Argentina) (theatrical)
    Entertainment One Benelux (2012) (Netherlands) (theatrical)
    Sony Pictures Releasing Canada (2012) (Canada) (theatrical)
    Warner Bros. Pictures (2012) (Australia) (theatrical)
    Warner Bros. (2012) (Singapore) (theatrical)
    Deltamac Entertainment (2012) (Hong Kong) (all media)
    Leeding Media (2012) (China) (all media)
    Noori Pictures (2012) (South Korea) (all media)
    Pinema (2011) (Turkey) (all media)
    Prorom Media-Trade (2012) (Hungary) (all media)
    Prorom Media-Trade (2012) (Romania) (all media)

with those sales theyve probably recouped the initial 75million dollar budget.

Finally seen this...

I finally got the chance to see Haywire. I liked it - it's definitely a Soderbergh though... Meaning he has a classical old-school style that younger audiences may have trouble with. Basically he holds a shot and lets it play out. I find it refreshing in comparison to the hyper kinetic post MTV generation editing that's the prevailing action style nowadays.

Let's talk about Gina - she was great. Was she a little wooden - yes, but that was her character. And the fighting - awesome! SPOILER - my favorite moment in all of the fighting scenes was when she nailed the triangle on the British agent. The camera angle switched to see her sinking it in and relaxing through breathing to get the deep choke. That realism can't be taught to an actress - that's something that's trained and ingrained. What an awesome touch.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I finally got the chance to see Haywire. I liked it - it's definitely a Soderbergh though... Meaning he has a classical old-school style that younger audiences may have trouble with. Basically he holds a shot and lets it play out. I find it refreshing in comparison to the hyper kinetic post MTV generation editing that's the prevailing action style nowadays.

Let's talk about Gina - she was great. Was she a little wooden - yes, but that was her character. And the fighting - awesome! SPOILER - my favorite moment in all of the fighting scenes was when she nailed the triangle on the British agent. The camera angle switched to see her sinking it in and relaxing through breathing to get the deep choke. That realism can't be taught to an actress - that's something that's trained and ingrained. What an awesome touch.
    thats not a old school way of filming..watch any hitch**** film, see how long he hold a take, 7-12 seconds and then switches the angle unless he is doing a moving shot....probably have to go back to the silent picture days to see that...maybe thats the old style you are referring too...soderbergh is a extremely overrated underwhelming director. you wanna see a director who hold a single take but yet still managers to make his films interesting and intriguing, watch "the hunger" or "shame" by steve mcqueen(not to be confused with the actor) then youll see the difference.

She reminds me of Jason Statham. I really think they need to make a movie together.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    the prevailing action style nowadays.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZNvK3fTlM

Casting a professional fighter is the major difference. In something like The Bourne films a lot of the fast cuts and shaky, in too close camera work was to hide the fact that Damon can't fight and looked like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    She reminds me of Jason Statham. I really think they need to make a movie together.
    I'd like to see her in more movies. I found her refreshing... meaning she was believable. I'm tired of seeing 90lb ultra-femme actresses kicking the crap out of a room full of guys. Gina's got curves and a jaw. She can handle herself and that matters. She doesn't have to act tough because she is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    thats not a old school way of filming..watch any hitch**** film, see how long he hold a take, 7-12 seconds and then switches the angle unless he is doing a moving shot.....
    Rope.

Finally saw this bad boy errr girl! Gina was smoking hot, except whoever decided to have her wear corn rows needs to be shot. Action was good, some fight scenes were excellent some not so much. I enjoyed it, not completely predictable story line...great supporting cast. Would have preferred her voice...and hope she keeps developing as an actress, she has a way to go. Would it have hurt so see her smile some? She has an amazing smile!

Me gusta ella!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

i watched this last night. i thought it was pretty good over all. i was expecting more of a climactic end but it kind of just fizzled out. but i did like the action. the fight in the hotel was pretty good.

when i saw pvt hudson i just wanted to be like 'we're all gonna die man!'

i agree with the corn rows statement. they did not fit her well at all. i can see the practicality of wearing them if your gonna beat some ass and keep your longer hair though, like in real life...but not for looks in a movie.

i'd like to see her in some more action roles. she moves right. and all the 'chubby' jokes...heh. watch the movie, shes smokin hot!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I beg to differ on corn rows

Corn rows on female MMA fighters are hot. See my Gina Carano Goes HAYWIRE review again:
    In the MMA world, there's a sure sign that a female fighter is ready for war. She puts her hair up in cornrows. This has nothing to do with the cornrow fad in the wake of Bo Derek's slow-motion jog to "Bolero" in 10 (1979). It's all about practicality. There's no better way to keep long hair in place for the impact of a fight than cornrows. For many female fighters, there's a noticeable personality change when their hair gets braided so. When Mallory braids up, MMA fans get ready for some over-the-top action that never arrives. While some critics may applaud Soderbergh for his cinematic style, action and martial arts fans will be disappointed as they are robbed of that climatic finale fight. Soderbergh joins Mamet as a director who tried to capture the glory of MMA, but missed some basic elements.
    See also Jenna Castillo on her Pro MMA Debut with STRIKEFORCE
    GC: Got your cornrows in yet? Because that's when female fighters get super scary - after the cornrows are in.

JC: Not yet. I'll get that in after weigh-ins or the morning of the fight.
    It must play out better on the small screen as in the theaters, the lack of a climactic final fight was...well, anticlimactic.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

context. in a real life mma fight thats one thing, but in the world of make believe its another, imo. its a small detail female mma fight fans would pick up on, but most people simply wont make that connection. in a movie, images are what really stick with us, and i think if you asked most men if she was hotter with or without the rows, you'd overhelmingly get without as your answer.

dont get me wrong i think shes smokin hot. i love the shape of her face. but when she puts in the corn rows its more of a ... meh...looks wise
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I actually laughed at the last scene where she comes to the house, takes out the girlfriend and then instead of walking straight out to the back and taking out Antonio...she decides to climb the roof, then jump down ten feet away from him. Like he wasn't going to be surprised anyway.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost