Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New video from Chen Yong-Fa

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    That's just BMI, which was designed for sedentary people, not physically active people. I mean straight up bodyfat.
    If you are referring to BF %, even that is not accurate, I know many powerlifters that carry around 30% BF or more and they can do **** that would freak you out.
    I know this one cat who competes in those strongest man competitons and he is in the 40+% in BF but the dude can lift a freaking hummer !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you are referring to BF %, even that is not accurate, I know many powerlifters that carry around 30% BF or more and they can do **** that would freak you out.
    I know this one cat who competes in those strongest man competitons and he is in the 40+% in BF but the dude can lift a freaking hummer !
    Most powerlifters, if not all, have gargantuan necks. Makes it hard for them to have a high bodyfat reading. I've been handling these things for over 10 years now, and the neck is key. We used to have soldiers do neck exercises with their helmets on in order to increase their neck size. If you have a neck at 18" or above, it's nearly impossible to have a BF reading higher than 23-24%.

We had a weightlifter in our unit, and when we taped him for bodyfat, he came out like 14% because of his neck.

I should also clarify. We use the tape test method to test bodyfat. It consists of measuring the neck and waist (just below the navel) three times. It's very accurate, and if anything, reads lower than actual due to someone perhaps sucking in their gut.

I don't trust the electrical pulse one, because there are too many factors that can skew readings.

What test are you referring to with BF and the powerlifters?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Most powerlifters, if not all, have gargantuan necks. Makes it hard for them to have a high bodyfat reading. I've been handling these things for over 10 years now, and the neck is key. We used to have soldiers do neck exercises with their helmets on in order to increase their neck size. If you have a neck at 18" or above, it's nearly impossible to have a BF reading higher than 23-24%.

We had a weightlifter in our unit, and when we taped him for bodyfat, he came out like 14% because of his neck.

I should also clarify. We use the tape test method to test bodyfat. It consists of measuring the neck and waist (just below the navel) three times. It's very accurate, and if anything, reads lower than actual due to someone perhaps sucking in their gut.

I don't trust the electrical pulse one, because there are too many factors that can skew readings.

What test are you referring to with BF and the powerlifters?
    Good question, not sure, but I recall while at York university seeing some guys ( Tack and football) doing the hydro test, the one in the water tank and all of them had a higher BF% than they thought, though they were still quite lean.

We had some fatties who requested the water displacement test. We just said to be careful what you wish for...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

I've learned not to judge anyone fighting skill or even athletic ability by their appearence.
    I mean, look at Anderson Silva, or Penn or even Royce, Fedor, Lidell and so many more.

I've learned not to judge anyone fighting skill or even athletic ability by their appearence.
    I mean, look at Anderson Silva, or Penn or even Royce, Fedor, Lidell and so many more.
    Just googled the images. Those guys are NOT obese. That's muscle dude... lots of bone crushing, body mangling muscle...

Even sumo pros aren't fat, fyi...
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Of course, none of those people look like a beached whale, but then again one can't discount the beached whale look, case in point Butterbean and Tank abbot.

Of course, none of those people look like a beached whale, but then again one can't discount the beached whale look, case in point Butterbean and Tank abbot.
    Chunky is ok... a lot of people have trouble having a lot of muscle and not accompanying fat, because it's hard to burn off the fat and keep the stocky build that makes them so effective. I'm talking obese. More fat than muscle.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

i can't remember who it was but some popular guy said the one guy who he wouldn't fight is Sammo Hung...dude could back up his form with girth...jet and jackie and bruce were lightweights, dude said Sammo was an actual fighter...take any comers.

My great Grandpa boxed in the olympics 1928 i beleive while he was in the navy...he was 6 foot 2 inches 154 pounds...it's our genetics, I'm 6 foot 5 180 pounds...when he was old grandpa dude was like 300 pounds and not saggy...I can't wait to put on that genetic weight for proper power, i'm so happy at 60 years old I'll be 6 foot 5 260 lean muscle, which will be so good for self defense against street punks. i praise god every day for my genetics.

Going back to original topic, take a llok a this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNn_lrjw_uA

Chan Sifu seems to have a nice sense of humor.