Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Discipleship

Shaolin Temple Discipleship

Does anyone know what the process to become a modern-day Shaolin Monk would be?

How is it done in China and what is the road to discipleship if you're studying in the U.S.?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Why? Are you thinking of becoming a Shaolin Monk?

The first thing to become a desciple is you have to be castrated and vow a life of chastity. Then they bring in 7 beautiful virgins to tempt you. If you reject thier pleasures then you are accepted as a disciple.

Not sure but I think it involves sever pummeling of the groin on a regular basis, sometimes even your OWN groin !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

a university level education and a whole lot of money.

Yes, and walking around with no Pants dragging huge stone cylinders with your "Mr. Happy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqymiCQgOZw
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

In all seriousness it costs a lot of money. You have to pay by the month and live at the temple. Its like $2,500 a month for training and for room and board. If you agree to a one year contract it's a little cheaper. They also have other contracts for 2, 3 ,4 ,and even 5 year terms. Five is the longest you can sign up for at one time. You have to abide by thier rules. They can dismiss you at any time without refunding your money. No sex with anyone staying there is allowed. And If you get caught by the authorities for visiting the local brothels, thats grounds for dismisal. No refund. They accept men and women there at the temple.
    Last edited by mkriii; 07-17-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    In all seriousness it costs a lot of money. You have to pay by the month and live at the temple. Its like $2,500 a month for training and for room and board. If you agree to a one year contract it's a little cheaper. They also have other contracts for 2, 3 ,4 ,and even 5 year terms. Five is the longest you can sign up for at one time. You have to abide by thier rules. They can dismiss you at any time without refunding your money. No sex with anyone staying there is allowed. And If you get caught by the authorities for visiting the local brothels, thats grounds for dismisal. No refund. They accept men and women there at the temple.

Thank you.

I look at the guys who trained at the temple who teach in the U.S. It seems Yan Ming has started to create his own disciples; but the Buddhist part of his instruction is relegated, it seems, to one hour a week.

Buddhist temples here in the U.S. understandably focus on spiritual development but nothing at all on the physical body.

As far as I know, the Shaolin Temple is the only Buddhist Temple that emphasizes both Buddhist and martial traditions.

If there were something here in the States like that, I would pursue it.

I plan to go Shaolin in China for at least a summer to see if the monastic life is for me. National Geographic did a documentary where there were two classes of students: the students who only studied kung fu, and those who had become full monks. Both were skilled in the physical aspects of the art.

As I get older, I'm looking for more than just the fastest kick or the hardest punch.

Wish I had the money to do that. I personally think that it is a little to expensive. The food there is not what you get here in the States. Here you get lots of meat and little vegies. Over there it the opposite.....lots of veggies and little meat. When I say little meat I mean two or three pieces that are bite size. And a scoop of rice. NO ice for your drinks. You will loose about 15 to 20 pounds while there. I'm sure the Abbot of the temple get the luxeries that the monks don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Quan View Post
    Does anyone know what the process to become a modern-day Shaolin Monk would be?
    Learn contemporary wushu.

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Learn contemporary wushu.
    Or take ballet.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Or take ballet.
    Ballet is a little too rough to begin with, I would stick to WuShu and then move to ballet when you get good.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Or take ballet.
    wu shu does have its good qualities to you know. people who do wu shu have good stance, high jumps, great flexability, crisp clean punches, high kicks. on the down side it does not teach fighting skills (although I do know some awesome fighters that do wu shu) or grappling skills.

The food there is not what you get here in the States. Here you get lots of meat and little vegies. Over there it the opposite.....lots of veggies and little meat. When I say little meat I mean two or three pieces that are bite size. And a scoop of rice. NO ice for your drinks. You will loose about 15 to 20 pounds while there. I'm sure the Abbot of the temple get the luxeries that the monks don't get.

Is that how it was when you were eating there?

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Is that how it was when you were eating there?
    No. But thats how it was for 8 of my classmates that went for a month. They all came back about 15 pounds lighter. Do you not think that it was like that when you were there? This was back in 1992.
    Last edited by mkriii; 07-17-2008 at 01:47 PM.

No. But thats how it was for 8 of my classmates that went for a month.

Oh, I see. You sure made it sound as if you had been there personally.