Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commitment

Commitment

They say being involved vs. committed is like bacon and eggs...the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed.

Everyone gets into MA for different reasons; for some it's a hobby, for others it's a way of life. And that's fine. I was a part-timer for a good chunk of my earlier years and dabbled in many different styles before I started taking it seriously. A lot of it was just pure laziness and procrastination. Or as Castaneda would say, thinking that I was immortal.

So I'm curious, when was it that you made the decision to stop d!cking around and commit yourself to training something regularly, on a daily basis, with 100% of your heart, mind and soul?

Quote Originally Posted by foster View Post
    So I'm curious, when was it that you made the decision to stop d!cking around and commit yourself to training something regularly, on a daily basis, with 100% of your heart, mind and soul?
    At the time when I stepped up from "hobby" to "hardcore", I was using MA as a drug to try to distract myself from a very painful breakup. Been using ever since.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if I could find a woman who didn't want to make a commitment,
    I would marry her in a heartbeat.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

"Into" it during my early teens, but got hardcore in my late teens when I met my first 'real' teacher, Sifu Chan Tai-San.

It was a chore, when I was young.

Now, if I do not do it, I am "at loss".

some people pick up music, some pick up swimming, some--

I happen to pick up daily practice of CMA.

I think that the idea that there is always something more

both in physical feat, and tactics and strategy

the excitement of learning something "new" that keeps me going.

of course, if we stop practicing, the skills will leave us every soon.

--

I have a very time-consuming, satifying, and well-paying career preventing my 100% committment.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I have a very time-consuming, satifying, and well-paying career preventing my 100% committment.
    what work are you in? just noticed you are in Co. Springs; my buddy from high-school own Ritz Grill; if you stop in, ask for Luke, tell him Chris J sent you (and if you don't get thrown out, that means he and I are ok about the whole "thing" )

as far as commitment, I am committed to not having my fingers / wrist or any other body-part necessary for robust practice of my profession broke or otherwise out-of-commission, so at present, I dabble;

takes the mind off of a nasy break up and i want to compete in the mma world so me day soon so thats another factor for training hard

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    what work are you in? just noticed you are in Co. Springs; my buddy from high-school own Ritz Grill; if you stop in, ask for Luke, tell him Chris J sent you (and if you don't get thrown out, that means he and I are ok about the whole "thing" )

as far as commitment, I am committed to not having my fingers / wrist or any other body-part necessary for robust practice of my profession broke or otherwise out-of-commission, so at present, I dabble;
    Army officer. I went to the Ritz once, and haven't been back.

Besides, Old Colorado City/Manitou Springs has a much better selection of restaurants.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i want to compete in the mma world so me day soon so thats another factor for training hard
    you better find a good SD school then, otherwise you're gonna be in trouble...

They say being involved vs. committed is like bacon and eggs...the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed.

Everyone gets into MA for different reasons; for some it's a hobby, for others it's a way of life. And that's fine. I was a part-timer for a good chunk of my earlier years and dabbled in many different styles before I started taking it seriously. A lot of it was just pure laziness and procrastination. Or as Castaneda would say, thinking that I was immortal.

I'm still a dabbler. I use it to keep myself fit.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I've been in and out of the hardcore phase all my life. A turning point was when I was about 10 and a 12 year old up the block busted me up pretty good. After that I never took instruction at face value and began to question the why of everything.

if something takes up part of your time,

it is part of you

or your are part of it.

you know that you will come back to it

or it will come back to you.

anyhoo, "committed" seems to be a big word.

well... for me i had a crash-in experience and suddenly several thousand years of experience simply flooded my memory... the martial arts are like riding a bike, once you learn to do it you never forget and considering that i have well over a few handfuls of finger counting dealing with martial arts training in past lives, i'd say my hinges were blown off when all the memories came flooding back this time around.