Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TMA Full Contact event in NYC

Is there a way to make it just a "seminar" or "training day"... sort of how we used to do throwdowns. Everyone goes on their own accord.

I think you could just sanction it across the river but that would take time, energy and money... though guys who are going to show and do it right deserve it. At the same time, I'm all for seeing it happen instead of bad mouthing it.

Of course, and this goes for any venue, the organizers always set the stage for their advantage. For example, sounds like the ground game is not free, where a BJJ guy can take his time and wind someone down, just work them in side control.

This is why I like MMA so much: universal rules. Fair weights. Doctors.

I know how the kung fu guys think, I spent a lot of time with them.... I've done kick boxing, I've done MMA, I've done the meet in the park. Sanctioned events draw the best fighters. These are guys that like to hit people, train very hard and are at top condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Is there a way to make it just a "seminar" or "training day"... sort of how we used to do throwdowns. Everyone goes on their own accord.

I think you could just sanction it across the river but that would take time, energy and money... though guys who are going to show and do it right deserve it. At the same time, I'm all for seeing it happen instead of bad mouthing it.

Of course, and this goes for any venue, the organizers always set the stage for their advantage. For example, sounds like the ground game is not free, where a BJJ guy can take his time and wind someone down, just work them in side control.

This is why I like MMA so much: universal rules. Fair weights. Doctors.

I know how the kung fu guys think, I spent a lot of time with them.... I've done kick boxing, I've done MMA, I've done the meet in the park. Sanctioned events draw the best fighters. These are guys that like to hit people, train very hard and are at top condition.
    Seminar, throwdown, or workout might sound better. I'll pass that idea on.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

This sounds cool but is it an event or a tourney?
    If it is just one fight for an audience, you can't really expect people to pay.

For a tourney though, I'd be down.

Can't see how you would get shut down, the 10 second rules and the headgear make it not quite MMA IMO. Even so, amateur MMA is not illegal, it is just unsanctioned, big difference. Pro MMA is illiegal, not amateur.

Considering in the past the commission has shut down KICKBOXING events with full gear I wouldn't assume anything really
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Well that might be because kickboxing is under their control? Isn't kickboxing sanctioned/regulated by them on the ammy level? Where as Am MMA is not.

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1 View Post
    Well that might be because kickboxing is under their control? Isn't kickboxing sanctioned/regulated by them on the ammy level? Where as Am MMA is not.
    Above is not correct in any way. I've spent YEARS literally in the trenches with the NY commission

The problem is this, you can read the law (I suggest you do) and say "well, it means this" but the counsel for the commission can say "we interpret to mean this" and then they can send the police, fire department, state liquor authority, dep of sanitation (I've seen them use ALL of those) to close you down

Of course, you can try to take them to court AFTER THE FACT but that isn't going to help you as they've already shut down your show

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

if the commissoners come down to shut the event down, why not round them up and toss them into the ring... LOL... people need to stop being pushed around by ridiculous regulations - i thought this was the land of the free?? LOL... NOT - free to do what you're told is more like it.

If we were all free sport fighters like us would have our way with all your kung fu guys' women and there'd be nothing you could do about it < ----- my attempt at pointless forum antics.

If we were all free sport fighters like us would have our way with all your kung fu guys' women and there'd be nothing you could do about it
    that's because our kung fu women would kick your a$$.
    < ----- my attempt at pointless forum antics.
    i have a discounted seminary class... contact me for details on how to truly rip thru people on the boards with ease.

LOL there is a girl where I train BJJ, used to do Kung Fu, and I forgot how good she was. Rolled with her the other day and kept thinking "**** how is she so small and strong, AND I am WORKING to sub her!! Hard!"
    Never discount a woman in MA who has a passion for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1 View Post
    LOL there is a girl where I train BJJ, used to do Kung Fu, and I forgot how good she was. Rolled with her the other day and kept thinking "**** how is she so small and strong, AND I am WORKING to sub her!! Hard!"
    Never discount a woman in MA who has a passion for it.
    my martial arts messenger was a female... one tough lady - she is 60 this year.

dont discount a kungfu guys obsession with sharp bladed objects

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If we were all free sport fighters like us would have our way with all your kung fu guys' women and there'd be nothing you could do about it < ----- my attempt at pointless forum antics.

Master: Conan, what is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Master: That is good!

Did you hear about the Polish barbarians? Where ever they went they killed the women and raped the sheep

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Did you hear about the Polish barbarians? Where ever they went they killed the women and raped the sheep
    That was absolutely terrible.

What? They were supposed to rape the women and KILL the sheep? Why would anyone want to kill sheep?

I could understand if the joke went, "They wore the skins of the women and raped the sheep" or if they "Ate the women..." or even "Herded the women.." But KILL them? I don't get it.

Now if you add "Warriors" into the mix..as in they "Raped the warriors, Made coats and fancy hats out of the women and THEN Killed the sheep"...now THAT might make sense for a Polish joke. 'Cause they are supposed to kill the warriors, not the sheep...but by itself..it falls a bit short for me. Sorry man.