Thread: Reign of Assassins (Jianyu Jianghu)

Hybrid View

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    never quite got the technical difference betweem Jianghu and WuLin.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    never quite got the technical difference betweem Jianghu and WuLin.
    anyone care to comment on this??
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Reign of Assassins

I should change the title of this thread soon.

Here's the new trailer: Reign of Assassins - Promo Trailer

TT: Jianghu literally means 'river lake' and it refers to itinerant martial artists that traveled the waterways of China. Wulin means 'martial forest' and it refers to the community of Chinese martial artists. Wulin is a bigger term - we are all wulin. Jianghu is a little more secular, a little more 'street' if you will.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, I was under the impression that Jianghu was actually more broad. It not only refers to martial artists, but also bandits, thieves, gangsters, and other sorts of outsider underworld elements as well as the yuxia of the Wulin.

Hmm, good point

I was thinking that those dark society aspects of the jianghu would be included in the wulin and of the jianghu as the itinerant sector of the wulin, thus a subset, but that's not quite right. Wulin does imply an attitude of chivalry, so I might concede your point.

Rivers, lakes, trees...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm excited about seeing Michelle Yeoh again.

I want to have her babies...

a romantic love story...

...with lots of fight scenes, I hope...
    Publicity launched for "Reign of Assassins"
    English.news.cn 2010-08-20 13:46:07

BEIJING, Aug. 20 (Xinhuanet) -- John Woo's new multi-million dollar martial arts film "Reign of Assassins" set up its official website on Thursday, August 19, and released posters of the twelve leading roles.

Director John Woo, actors Wang Xueqi, Shawn Yue, Leon Dai, Guo Xiaodong and Li Zonghan attended the press conference in Beijing. At the conference, director Woo said he would like to be Jing Ke, a famous assassin during the Warring States period, if he could be a historical martial arts figure.

The upcoming film, budgeted at 14 million dollars, stars Michelle Yeoh, Jung Woo-Sung, Wang Xueqi, Barbie Hsu, Shawn Yue, Kelly Lin, Leon Dai, Paw Hee-Ching, Pace Wu, Guo Xiaodong, Li Zonghan and Jiang Yiyan. The all-star film has popularly been called the "film without a supporting role."

John Woo, praised for his ability to depict the friendship between men in his work, has decided to turn his attention on women. The director explained, "'Reign of Assassins' is not a film that simply focuses on kung-fu and hatred. In fact, it tells a romantic love story.''

However, all his actresses were absent from the conference. When the five main actors were asked about their collaboration with the actresses, , Dai summarized that Michelle Yeoh had strong and tender tempers in the same body, while Barbie Hsu was good at performing and very accurate.

In the posters, the twelve astrological horoscopes are used to describe each character. For instance, Michelle Yeoh, of course, is a Pisces girl, and actor Wang Xueqi belongs to Leo.

At the conference, the five actors were divided into two groups, a group of good guys and a group of bad guys, according to their characters in the film.

The three actors in the group of villains, Wang Xueqi, Leon Dai and Shawn Yue, described their combination as a cleaning company, which takes charge of killing aliens. They also showed off their own weapons, such as sword, double blades and a pair of long chopsticks.

The film will be released nationwide on September 28.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips