Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing your power

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I am by no means an expert in MA, but wouldn't the (simple) answer be weight/resistance training, heavy bag work and mastering your technique/form?
    Sounds good to me.

The moot point is mastering your technique/form. As T and Hendrik have already stated (my god! They're agreeing! Watch the skies!) in the main traditionally this is against the principles of resistance training. However, just as I think it's easy enough to cross train without confusing principles as long as you're not a moron, I also think it's easy enough (and much better) to lift weights AND keep to your traditional training. I think of it like this: if I miss my perfect wing chun punch or JJ takedown or whatever, I can just rely on brute force and ignorance!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Believe it or not, and some dont realized it.
    what you post is a totally opposite of what the TCMA's direction.
    Thus, WCK will not work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu
    The two principles that facilitate the body to become stronger and more powerful (power is defined as ability of the body to move ballistically) are;

i) overload – adding greater degrees of resistance/loads/weight; and
    ii) specificity – making the training as specific to the sport as possible
    Hi, actually i do it like Wu Wei, i normally separate such "power" training" away from Wing Chun training, as in 2 separate sessions.

What i mean is e.g. throwing a yat ji kuen with full power is in contrast to Wing Chun principles, so during yat ji kuen training, there is no power. (This is a very poor analogy, lol)

But in a separate training on e.g. weights, then power training comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by -木叶- View Post
    Hi, actually i do it like Wu Wei, i normally separate such "power" training" away from Wing Chun training, as in 2 separate sessions.

What i mean is e.g. throwing a yat ji kuen with full power is in contrast to Wing Chun principles, so during yat ji kuen training, there is no power. (This is a very poor analogy, lol)

But in a separate training on e.g. weights, then power training comes into play.

See, we cant train in two totally opposite direction and makes them work in the same body.

See, we cant train in two totally opposite direction and makes them work in the same body.
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. I train to push. I train to pull. 2 opposite directions, and both work quite well. Perhaps I am not understanding your point.

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. I train to push. I train to pull. 2 opposite directions, and both work quite well. Perhaps I am not understanding your point.
    yup. you dont. because I am posting for 木叶 in response to his post in different methodological direction. not the push and pull direction as you think.

your push and pull is fine because you are actually training in one methodological direction.

Nonsense. They're very different, but they're not opposite directions at all. I can train yoga and it doesn't interfere with my wing chun. I can train tai-chi and it doesn't interfere with wing chun. I can train kyokushin and it doesn't interfere with wing chun. I could even train goju and it wouldn't interfere, despite having at least superficially similar stances yet having hard conditioning and weights.

And yes I know tai chi has many parallels with wing chun but it too has many differences and is much closer to the aim of practising wing chun so there is much greater potential for confusion than with weightlifting and practising wing chun.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Nonsense. They're very different, but they're not opposite directions at all.
    I can train yoga and it doesn't interfere with my wing chun.
    I can train tai-chi and it doesn't interfere with wing chun.
    I can train kyokushin and it doesn't interfere with wing chun.
    I could even train goju and it wouldn't interfere, despite having at least superficially similar stances yet having hard conditioning and weights.

And yes I know tai chi has many parallels with wing chun but it too has many differences and is much closer to the aim of practising wing chun so there is much greater potential for confusion than with weightlifting and practising wing chun.

Sure, according to you you certainly right.

however, according to the TCMA expert such as WXZ that is not the case.

呼吸自然勿紧张,如犯此错误,则全身紧张,力和气就憋在身上,放不出去。

气不能沉,沉者劲 惰,气即不能浮;浮者劲僵。

所以说要自然腹式深呼吸。气贯周身,肌肉得温养。

拳语曰:“用力则力死,用气则 气滞。”体内的真气得以转变成真劲。

BTW

one's training is either a hard bow or a soft jin cant be both.
    doing both default to hard bow which soft jin never could be reached.

from your description above you are within the Hard Bow region and it doesnt matter you train in Kyokushin, WCK, Taiji, Yoga.....etc.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 06-03-2009 at 02:55 PM.

呼吸自然勿紧张,如犯此错误,则全身紧张,力和气就憋在身上,放不出去。

气不能沉,沉者劲 惰,气即不能浮;浮者劲僵。

所以说要自然腹式深呼吸。气贯周身,肌肉得温养。

拳语曰:“用力则力死,用气则 气滞。”体内的真气得以转变成真劲
    Well done. That's certainly the end of the argument since I can't read Chinese!

from your description above you are within the Hard Bow region.
    Did you do wing chun and kyokushin at the same time?

Yoshiyahu (sp?),

You asked about resistance;

The principled approach I use as follows; firstly, I take the activity that I am trying to improve. As well as analyzing it as a kinetic chain I also break it down to its smallest components. For instance, you can take a straight lead punch in its ‘wholeness’ as well as view it in terms of e.g. the step, the drop in weight over the lead leg, hip and shoulder rotation, extension of arm, structural integrity/alignment of wrist and elbow… etc etc.

Once I have a breakdown of the whole and dissected components of the motion, the formula I use is a simple one; ‘how do I train the same motion, using the same dynamic, but load it with weight or resistance in the opposing plane of motion that the action uses?’

To give you some idea of where this leads some of the tools I rely upon to provide resistance include, 2lb dumbells, resistance/rubber bands (like bicycle inner tubes), weighted vest, heavy bag.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Did you do wing chun and kyokushin at the same time?
    Yup. I am dong both with Hard Bow once upon a time in my life.

And according to you, what part of my descriptions tell you I'm 'hard bow'?

I practice yoga at least once, sometimes twice a day, MA about once every other day, and weightlifting max 4 times a week. I can't do weightlifting if I neglect my yoga because of various injuries. My MA is all about moving with efficiency: how to hang my meat off my structure. I have tried bong sao 'exercises' and lop sao 'exercises' on a cable machine: it doesn't work to make you stronger in a way useful to martial arts (though it is useful for testing imbalances in stance under pressure to some extent).

So how am I 'hard bow'?! (And what is 'hard bow'?! )

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    And according to you, what part of my descriptions tell you I'm 'hard bow'?

I practice yoga at least once, sometimes twice a day,
    MA about once every other day, and weightlifting max 4 times a week.

I can't do weightlifting if I neglect my yoga because of various injuries.

My MA is all about moving with efficiency: how to hang my meat off my structure.

I have tried bong sao 'exercises' and lop sao 'exercises' on a cable machine: it doesn't work to make you stronger in a way useful to martial arts (though it is useful for testing imbalances in stance under pressure to some extent).

So how am I 'hard bow'?! (And what is 'hard bow'?! )

Seriously, I am not picking at you but speaking the truth.

Hard bow is a chinese MA term on develop muscle, sinew, bone via excercise it, tensing it.... dynamic tension...etc

Why I know? because your dont have any signature of soft jin training but hard bow training signatures.

BTW. Yoga is hard bow in general.

Soft Jin deal with multi-dimentional force vectors.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 06-03-2009 at 03:50 PM.

I am by no means an expert in MA, but wouldn't the (simple) answer be weight/resistance training, heavy bag work and mastering your technique/form?
    Follow that, you'll probably do at least as well as you would following all of the more "traditional" and "sophisticated" advice given above.

You'd also want some drills to learn timing for the kicks, some set-ups, and sparring ot get timing and dynamic distancing.

Mr Punch is right about stretching methodology. My point is that most people don't bother to stretch at all, and some stretching is better than none. My experience is that Pavel can be a bit too gung-ho - I ripped a hamstring once doing hard PNF stretches and it took nearly a year to get all the flexibilitiy back again. I still do PNF, but no longer trying for mximial tension in the stretched muscle. I realise my mistake was a technical one, but IMO at the extreme end of this training the margin for error is too small and the risk too big. YMMV.

I agree techniique is very important, but seeking perfect form can sometimes impede effectiveness. Performance overrides precision.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hard bow is a chinese MA term on develop muscle, sinew, bone via excercise it, tensing it.... dynamic tension...etc

Why I know? because your dont have any signature of soft jin training but hard bow training signatures.

BTW. Yoga is hard bow in general.

Soft Jin deal with multi-dimentional force vectors.
    Ahh, that makes perfect sense. And yes, I can understand how yoga can be put in with weight-training purely in terms of how you use the muscles.

I still reckon you can train both say, weights and wing chun, mind. And obviously would appreciate a translation of the above Chinese.