"I also know that sometimes the block does work, and if it does you are usually in a good position to counter"

I agree a block may work sometimes, however I will bet any money that it is an extremely lower percentage than using a boxers defence. Also if you do miss the block you are in an extremely vulnerable position unlike the boxer who has his hands up at all times and can recover alot easier.

"I could easily reverse your logic to say that after 2000 years of Wu Shu, blocking is still trained. Are you saying that no one in 2000 years had a trained punch, or everyone was ignorant of punching methods"

There is a HUGE difference here. Boxing is tested in the ring literally hundreds of times everyday against 100% resisting opponents. Wushu on the other hand is not. Boxing is a science in terms, theories are derived in the ring, Wushu again for the most part (save Sanda, Kuoshu) is not. I will take the evidence derived from actuall fighting over 2000 years of passed down traditions anyday.

"What would be a mistake is trying to block every jab, the idea is that you pick one, block it and move in + strike before the opponent punches again."

Which jab do you block? how do you measure which one to. A jab is used mostly to setup and measure, you can bet that the boxer is waiting for a cross-hook combo to finish. Again, action will most of the time beat reaction, and in all the years of competion I have witnessed, wether it be boxing, Thai, MMA I have never seen that happen.

"The punch must start from ****her away in order to generate enough force to hit hard, because of the padding in the glove"

I guess the censored part of the message is f a r t h e r. HAHA, they block out the word f a r t. Anyways, I whole heartedly disagree with this statement, this is such a fallacy that the glove somehow lessens the power of the punch. The hand is taped so it literally feels like cement, then a heavy glove placed on top of that. There is more concussion force generated because of the larger volume of the glove. The glove is there to protect the hand not the head.

"Some of the ducking and rolling techiniques a boxer uses to avoid being hit cover up the legal targets well, but expose the back, the back of the head, etc. Crouching also makes the boxer susceptable to kicks."

Actually i do agree somewhat, boxers do need to adjust there styles for the streets. It is by no way a complete art.

"Boxers are judged not only by whether they win the fight. A boxer coming up through the ranks must win the fight with style, that being the traditional Western boxing style. Very few people would like to see a fighter with a radically different style. Plus other fighters might avoid fighting this guy because it might not show off their best side. "

This is conjecture and untrue, all that really matters is a boxers record and the quality of his opponents. Prince Naseem Hamed is one of the most unorthodox fighters out there yet he was the star of the lighter divisions for sometime. These men are payed huge amounts of money to fight, A boxer can use ANY punching style that he wants. Naturally it would be obvious that a boxer would use what worked.