Thus far, I've heard a few differing approaches to managing the H1N1 pandemic. Outside of isolating yourself, washing hands frequently and avoiding touching your face, etc., the two herbal remedies I see everyone stocking up on are:

Jade Screen Formula (Yu Ping Feng San) - known to 'tighten the pores' to prevent the entry of exterior pathogens, this formula boosts the body's immunity to prevent catching colds. A delightfully simple formula comprised of: Huang Qi, Fang Feng, Bai Zhu. In summary, it raises the qi, eliminates wind and dries dampness. This is more of a constitutional formula, i.e. addressing deficiency in one's constitution.

The other formula taken by my teachers from China is Gan Mao Ling, a common cold remedy. This is more of a modern empirically derived formula that contains Ban Lan Gen (radix isatis), which has been shown to have antiviral effects in the laboratory. This is a "wen bing" or warm febrile disease formula specifically designed to combat strong flu-like influences.

This in mind, my current favorite is Ganmao Tuire Chongi, a granulated formula containing ban lan gen and da qing ye (both from the same plant) in addition to herbs to direct the actions to the lungs and respiratory system. It is usually found in a yellow or green box at the herbalist's shop, and only costs a few (under 10) bucks. I used this formula with great success last time I got sick, and beat back the cold in 3 days with no lingering phlegm, cough etc. My friends, by comparison, had the same cold and it lasted about 15 days untreated.

how do you prevent colds and flu? How do you battle 'em once you got one?

in health,

herb ox