Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tore Up Thread

The Tore Up Thread

Gonna gripe about my injuries, as the most recent one has me slowed down considerably.

About two months ago, shattered the joint where my left big toe joins up with the foot while doing SJ.

Just as that is getting healed up enough, this last week my left knee got dislocated doing more SJ. Fortunately, nothing seems to have been torn or anything, but I am seriously limited on what I can train right now. Basically, working a lot of striking, but can't do much moving, so I'm basically down to helping guys who aren't hobbled.

Just to give myself something to do, came up with a drill I called "shooting gallery", in which a partner puts on big gloves, the two take position in striking range, and the gloved guy throws single strikes and combos, but not continuous combos, a combo is a mark for the striker to reset(as the defender is not allowed to strike back, so endless strikes would be a bit like a mugging). The defender's goal is to simply apply his deflections and blocks, but neither can move from their position(because shifting on my knee is, um, bad). It's not as good as the drills we normally do, but it's better than nothing.

Also came up with something that might be a baddass way to ingrain defensive and offensive timing with staff at full speed without causing death, as two man sets don't really do this, imo. We'll be testing it later.

What's your pain?

you should take up water colour or something.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    About two months ago, shattered the joint where my left big toe joins up with the foot while doing SJ.

Just as that is getting healed up enough, this last week my left knee got dislocated doing more SJ. Fortunately, nothing seems to have been torn or anything, but I am seriously limited on what I can train right now. Basically, working a lot of striking, but can't do much moving, so I'm basically down to helping guys who aren't hobbled.
    Of course. Because of your toe you're going to change the way you do things. Chances of injury go up.

Baseball pitcher Dizzy Dean hurt his arm after a toe injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Of course. Because of your toe you're going to change the way you do things. Chances of injury go up.

Baseball pitcher Dizzy Dean hurt his arm after a toe injury.
    Yeah, that's definitely part of it. In addition, these drills we're doing are ones I've been coming up with the help of a friend who also knows the entire system we do. He and I started doing them controlled in February/March, and, by now, we know each other's approaches so well that we can plainly see when one was in a dominant position on one of their more dangerous moves, and so we know the risk well. The knee dislocation and the shattered toe occurred when another person who knows the system joined in, saw the pace Ben and I were going, and matched it, without us all having familiarized each other with our approaches thoroughly. Since these drills are my invention, I consider it my responsibility to keep them productive and reasonably safe, though with throws, there's always risk.

He's(the "new" guy) a shorter guy than I, and I'll sometimes work a particular takedown on shorter guys in order to perfect it, as it is lower percentage against shorter opponents. Ben(my regular training partner) is shorter than me, so, when he catches me doing this move, he can stop it using the same technique, but without carrying through to the dislocate, I know he stopped me, he knows, no problem.

With the new addition, and some outside distractions that he and I were both noticing, I went for the move, and he carried through the textbook defense, thus dislocating my knee. It was not an on purpose thing, and it was good in the sense that the guy who just joined in understood that it might be good to moderate the pace for a number of sessions with new people in order to make sure everyone develops the feel for what is being applied on them, at which point the faster pace can be done with less risk of heinous injury, sort of viewing technique as viruses, allowing ourselves to develop specific antibodies to fight them, and only then increasing to a more comfortable pace, while being careful while adding new moves to our individual repertoires.

These drills will always have some risk, no doubt. We've got a number of different stylists joining in, other taixuquan guys, a tkd guy, some guys training mma. The drills have really amped up my own ability to apply my style, going at it with the mma guys has enabled me to expand my knowledge base of what striking from my style I need to improve, what works well, etc, but what has really been a nice boost is seeing how doing the SJ drill for several months has enabled Ben and I to, in most cases, dominate the clinch against those who haven't done the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    you should take up water colour or something.

It sounded like a great idea, so I took up the guitar. Now I have tendonitis. Thanks, man.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    It sounded like a great idea, so I took up the guitar. Now I have tendonitis. Thanks, man.
    Oooh that's nasty. I hear putting jabaneros up your ho ho dilly will cure that in seconds though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The style of muay thai I'm doing is very traditional & old school.
    We do the same parrying drill with the combos.
    We have one particular parry/defensive structure that a few of us have nicknamed "the tank" and we practice using it in response to single punches & combos much in the same manner as you described.
    One of my favorite drills, because as you progress into it & can mix up the combos a little more, you really get a nice feel for how to use it in various situations.

EDIT: PS, you still don't have a cracked rib! *hi-5s xcalkid*
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    The style of muay thai I'm doing is very traditional & old school.
    We do the same parrying drill with the combos.
    We have one particular parry/defensive structure that a few of us have nicknamed "the tank" and we practice using it in response to single punches & combos much in the same manner as you described.
    One of my favorite drills, because as you progress into it & can mix up the combos a little more, you really get a nice feel for how to use it in various situations.

EDIT: PS, you still don't have a cracked rib! *hi-5s xcalkid*
    That's what I'm finding as well.

As for cracked ribs, I'll take mine slathered in bbq sauce. Mmmmm...

Oooh that's nasty. I hear putting jabaneros up your ho ho dilly will cure that in seconds though.
    AKA c0xibustion.

What's your pain?
    ------------
    I feel fine, but I'm so covered in fingerprint bruises in various stages of fading- dozens of them- that I look like the 102nd dalmation.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Your first drill, the shooting gallery seems to be a mix between what we call "parrying drills" and "the wall drill" - there is also "the line drill."

The second concept concerning intensity is what we call "play" (vs the idea of sparring) and its really almost the same thing as bjj "rolling" (vs the idea of sparring also.)

I had some injuries in 2008, I feel like I lost a whole year or more.

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    The second concept concerning intensity is what we call "play" (vs the idea of sparring) and its really almost the same thing as bjj "rolling" (vs the idea of sparring also.)
    That's funny you say that, because my whole idea behind the drills was to get our line away from teaching conditioning/forms classes with static applications followed by sparring that was too wide open in options for people to address the things they needed to, and get to some set of drills based around developing instinct and timing in resisting formats in the same way as rolling, but with different drills isolating different traits, leading into sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    What's your pain?
    ------------
    I feel fine, but I'm so covered in fingerprint bruises in various stages of fading- dozens of them- that I look like the 102nd dalmation.
    Sorry, I'll aim my pen1s more carefully next time.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have a killer neck injury after a year and three months of various therapy, physio and exercise. It's getting better, but sometimes it's one step forward, two steps back.

I'm aaall about footwork, since that's all I can do. There are days when just keeping my arms lifted is hard work, and there are days when I can function fine, and even got to lifting weights.

There's a very limited scope for just footwork, esp when you can't even practice any hand combos to set them up, and when sweeps/takedowns/reaps etc aren't really possible because breakfalling is also painful. And even less live. I get by tho. Had a good sesh yesterday of stepping drills, avoiding punches and taking their front leg, and can do the same against random kicks too at times. Since my focus is mostly wing chun, it's all about entanglements, short stamps, trips and sweeps and some leg locks through keeping pressure up with the knees. And a lot about transitioning between lightfootedness and root.

I should be ****-hot when I can use my arms again!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

BTW, MK, that was p!ss poor. Don't give up the day job. Oh wait, are you a full-time writer? In which case do give it up.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan