Thread: Takashi Miike

Hybrid View

I liked both Zebraman and the Great Yokai War...

Miike kid films don't compute for most until you see these two flicks. They're really enjoyable.

Zebraman
    is a total homage to Tokusatsu. It's brilliant on so many levels. The whole take on nerdy adult fanboys is hysterical, yet respectful.

Great Yokai War is a lot like Zebraman on steriods. Terry Gilliam-esque CGI terminators versus Japanese ghost story fable characters (suited monsters ala Ultraman). Cheesy effects overall. Predictable to a point. I was raised with some of these myths so, like Painted Skin, many of the creatures are recognizable to me, which made it very nostalgic. It had some Miike moments for sure, but very tame, a kid film like Zebraman, but a little intense because some of the Japanese demons are disturbing if you aren't familiar with them. The kappa (precursor to Mutant Turtles if you will) was funny. It could have been far creepier, but it tends to go for goofy demon humor like the umbrella demon (a rather lame puppet) saying 'I'm just an umbrella'.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

man now im really stoked to watch the great yokai war. i might have to set aside time tonight for it.

i really liked in zebraman (spoiler) when he realizes that he actually is zebraman after everyting matches up. the year, his job, etc. also the final transformation to zebra man is bad ass. as soon as i saw him get up and flash into zebraman, with that slick costume i was like 'hell ya'
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That's already been on come cable channel or other a bunch of times. Kind of a wierd movie.