Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why do wing chun practitioners think wing chun is the end all be all!!!

The Northern sh1t in that movie looked 1200 times better.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    DougMaverick-could you go into detail on what you feel are the limitations of WC? I am also npot trying to start a flame war, and if you prefer, you can pm me instead. I'm just curious.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

i thikn weng chun is a decent style, but i have no idea why the hell its so dam popular, its average shouthern short fist

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

its funny doug that we were talking about this the other day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

The human body is not always perfect in construction. Mine certainly isn't, and that probably goes for the majority of people. For this reason you will find people that excell in certain physical sports. Others might be poor at the same sport because they cannot perform the same. This is why Wing Chun is so popular. It can be quickly learned by just about anyone. And it will remain effective for the majority of one's life as they need not be of great physical prowess, which only lasts for a short time in one's life. I have seen some beautiful styles of gung fu. Wishing that I could be so good. But the fact is that I can not kick high and can not do all the fancy moves that seem to be the rage today. Looks seems to be everything.
    Wing chun is not real easy, but if one is quick enough to realize and understand the concepts he or she can move right along quickly. And do not be fooled in believing WC strikes do not have power. WC only has a small number of hand and kick techniques compared to other forms of gung fu, and all of them are based scientifically. It is easier to learn a few moves to perfection than to learn a bunch of moves partially. And then you can move on to different variations of each of the techniques. I hold black belts in Jap jujitsu, but only have about 50 or 60 basic techniques, and of each of these techniques I will have upward of 10 or 12 variations. This gives me upward of around 600 or more techniques at my disposal. Even at that, I will always tend to use a certain few of these techniques when it becomes necessary. I believe this is probably true of most practitioners of fighting styles.
    Competing calls for great form and moves, but most times it is not practical stuff that can win compititions. Stuff that looks good might not always be practical in a life or death situation. WC has plenty of on the ground fighting but it seems that most people never get that far into it, so have the impression that it is lacking in that area. I started my training in WC 53 years ago, and I still don't feel like I can clean out a room full of bikers. I was a printer by trade for most of my adult life, but I also kept a second job of bouncing or security. I have had to deal with a lot of guys, some trained in some form of martial art of some sort, but most just fist fighters and grapplers. The only fighting style I never did come up on was WC. I think it would have scared me. I have always been good on the ground, and I am guessing it might be a combination of both my skills, but I use my WC on the ground to good effect. So it is there. I don't think it is better, but it can be all you need. It is all in the way you look at it. What you are willing to put into it I guess. But I suppose that goes for all the other styles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    wing chun only works when you go FOOM FOOM FOOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAsxPEP7Tk
    It also works if someone attacks you half assed.You see that lame takedown attempt?It reminded me of my former school.Someone gives you a half assed attack,then you counter it and look cool.Then you test and you walk around thinking you can fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by lianweizhi View Post
    I'm a CLF practitioner, so naturally I don't think wing chun is the end all be all. However, based on Donnie Yen's new Ip Man film, it can certainly look pretty frickin' bad ass:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHmYJmfuWg
    Movies can make any art look good.But after I looked at that clip,I watched a wc vs bjj clip.That'll bring you back to reality.

i havent seen any wng chun people in real life use any sort of footwork, someone plz explain to me? is it they just no good?
    i know some south style "every step grows root" and many south styles are boat style, but in traditional term, how weng chun guy can beat northern kung fu with range 5 to 10 meters??

also i never heard of weng chun being rebel style? in 15 year long taiping rebellion led by southern hakka, they used northern kung fu like tanglang, mizong, chuojiao, chai li fut?

i read weng chun forums and they were arguing how to defend a hook punch, lol
    Last edited by bawang; 03-11-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

anyway, wing chun isnt the end all and be all personally i think MMA is because its constantly evolving and is a mix of everything else so by definition if you mix ALL martial arts then its is the end ALL and be ALL
    but then most martial arts are MMA they had to come from somewhere

i think that most martial arts have value but are rarely trained well enough or hard enough to make them work and have become trivialised and over complicated and ritualised

a punch is a punch weitehr its hung gar or whatever you just need to know how you can make it work.
    that and do sparring, alot of it, and ground work that always helps

spar good, wrestle good, and train good and you will be good regardless of your style.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Actually, I don't know of any decent WC practioners that think that WC is the "end all" of the MA.
    They all know they strengths and limitations of their art.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

well according to one WC practitioner we are all just glorified kick boxers, so what do we know about wing chun. heck it has had ground fighting in it for years and no one knew. not even the guy who started up the wing chun museum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    well according to one WC practitioner we are all just glorified kick boxers, so what do we know about wing chun. heck it has had ground fighting in it for years and no one knew. not even the guy who started up the wing chun museum.
    Those wacky cross training knuckle heads !

Wow, got a lot of flak for putting up a clip of a movie that I would have thought kung fu practitioners would have appreciated... in my opinion Ip Man is the best kung fu movie to come out in terms of the choreography since Jet Li's Fist of Legend. I was just trying to help it get a little exposure out in the West.

I completely understand that movies can make any art look good... as I mentioned, I'm no wing chun lover, but every art has its strengths and weaknesses. As a martial arts practitioner and enthusiast, I appreciate the differences and nuances of all martial arts, be it choy lay fut, bak sil lum, wing chun, or MMA.

With my limited ring and contact experience, I've come to the same conclusion many of you have come to - that it's not as much the style as it is the practitioner. I put in 4-5 hours a week of martial arts training (including timing drills, light sparring, body contitioning, and, yes, form practice) and another 4 hours a week strength and conditioning training, which might not seem like a lot, but it is a challenge to coordinate my engineering job, 7-9 credit hours of MBA courses, and any semblance of a life on top of that. With that level of training sustained over the last 10 years, I've been able to decimate kickboxers, grapplers, and kung fu practitioners, but have also had my butt kicked. The common denominator was literally how much better or worse shape I was in and how much more or less fighting experience I had than the other guy. That's the real end all be all.
    Grantis Mantis
    Grant's Pad

pffiiffffffff.....

you guys can't ground fight because you've never learned the REAL chin-na
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The common denominator was literally how much better or worse shape I was in and how much more or less fighting experience I had than the other guy. That's the real end all be all.
    that's just crazy talk !

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....