Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 9, 18, 72, 108.

Last edited by SimonM; 03-05-2009 at 09:07 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

the only language that Sitchin may be able to sight read is the Hebrew because he is Jewish and as part of the cultural tradition, you do Hebrew studies through your boyhood to ensure that you understand what's going on in shul, especially if you go to conservative or orthodox services which are entirely in Hebrew.

most observant Jews, if not all observant Jews will send their kids to Hebrew school to learn the language in order to facilitate their understanding.

It has been noted that Sitchin starts at that point and jumps and veritably leaps huge chasms in linguistics based on his understanding of hebrew.

just pointing it out....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

herein does lie the fundamental flaw as i see it... from his own .com site...

Mike Heiser earned the M.A. and Ph.D. in Hebrew Bible and Semitic Languages at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2004. Before attending the UW-Madison, Mike earned an M.A. in Ancient History from the University of Pennsylvania (major fields: Ancient Israel and Egyptology). Mike was hired as the Academic Editor of Logos Bible Software shortly after completing his Ph.D. Before joining Logos, Mike spent twelve years teaching biblical studies, history, and biblical languages on the undergraduate level. Mike’s main research interests are Israelite religion (especially Israel’s divine council), contextualizing biblical theology with Israelite and ancient Near Eastern religion, biblical languages, ancient Semitic languages, textual criticism, comparative philology, and Second Temple period Jewish literature. His dissertation was entitled, "The Divine Council in Late Canonical and Non-Canonical Second Temple Jewish Literature.” The dissertation sought to discern the ancient Israelite background to Judaism's "Two Powers in Heaven" teaching.
    i am a skeptic of skeptics, especially ones who have only recieved their degree in 2004 from an american university to say the least... i have a pet peeve to paper brains handed out by biased universities that reflect the mentalities of the ignorant system that they represent; biased teachers teach biased things.

So your criticism of Heiser is that because he has a recent education in the topics that Sitchin argues from ignorance on he must be wrong?

There is none so blind as those who don't want to see...

Tell me Uki, what do you BELIEVE is necessary to get a PhD these days?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    biased teachers teach biased things.
    Everyone is biased. Everyone who teaches is biased.

Everyone , Everyone, Everyone.

Everything you have learned UKI is from biased information, you post biased post, and you give sources that are biased to what they believe in.

Bad points are bad

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    So your criticism of Heiser is that because he has a recent education in the topics that Sitchin argues from ignorance on he must be wrong?
    i never said he was wrong, i merely said i am skeptical of skeptics... i question everything and everyone, even sitchin.
    There is none so blind as those who don't want to see...
    perhaps you ponder what you have written there.
    Tell me Uki, what do you BELIEVE is necessary to get a PhD these days?
    a healthy amount of money and a few friends can ensure anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    Everyone is biased. Everyone who teaches is biased.
    yes everyone is, but not everything.
    Everything you have learned UKI is from biased information, you post biased post, and you give sources that are biased to what they believe in.
    most of my learning stems from observing nature and what springs from my own internal well of understanding(we all have one)... nature is not biased in any shape or form.
    Bad points are bad.
    good and bad are two ends of the same stick...

Man I hope Uki never needs surgery, cause, he'll die! He won't trust that young surgeon and he''' not sign the waiver until there's a witchdoctor and a psychic surgeon available.

so, uki, you didn't finish high school let alone attend college or uni right?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yes everyone is, but not everything.
    most of my learning stems from observing nature and what springs from my own internal well of understanding(we all have one)... nature is not biased in any shape or form.
    Yup, but you are biased in what you want to see. (Example the opposite of -3 being 0 is something you wanted to see, but is not true). Thus even though nature may not be biased, your perspective of nature is. Clearly your "internal well of understanding" has led you in the wrong direction before, and thus can be viewed as a "bias well of understanding"

because you are human, you are biased. Clearly you must be. How can we all observe this same nature, the same state of life and all come up with different answers?

Oh and by the way no you don't learn from nature if you are sourcing it from online journals :P unless the internet grows on trees

good and bad are two ends of the same stick...
    yes, and the ass and the head are 2 ends of a person but I rather be ahead than an ass!

a healthy amount of money and a few friends can ensure anything.
    For a BA this is true enough...
    For a masters in the UK it's true though you would have trouble getting a masters in a school in the USA or Canada with that... this is because the masters is really a non-degree in most UK schools.

For a PhD you couldn't be more mistaken. I really wish it were that simple to get a doctorate but it's not. Seriously.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Exadon View Post
    (Example the opposite of -3 being 0 is something you wanted to see, but is not true)
    simon has my response to this in his signature.
    Clearly your "internal well of understanding" has led you in the wrong direction before, and thus can be viewed as a "bias well of understanding"
    highly doubtful, but as it is a given right, each to their own.
    because you are human, you are biased. Clearly you must be. How can we all observe this same nature, the same state of life and all come up with different answers?
    not everyone communicates with the same words or in the same language of expression, hence difficulties arise translating the meaning behind all that we say... much like the metaphorical lesson from the story of the tower of babel which has lead to the current state of mis-communication.
    Oh and by the way no you don't learn from nature if you are sourcing it from online journals :P unless the internet grows on trees
    obviously you are attempting to trip me up on my own words... it won't happen; you understand perfectly well what i am conveying here...
    yes, and the ass and the head are 2 ends of a person but I rather be ahead than an ass!
    well if you are only the head... how will you release the poop that builds up in it?

highly doubtful, but as it is a given right, each to their own.
    It is not doubtful because it already happened. My point being that if I never said anything about whole numbers (as I was the only one who posted it) you would go on to believe what you said to be right. And this knowledge came from your "well". It proves the biased spin we can put on anything to try to make it fit our views, our facts.

obviously you are attempting to trip me up on my own words... it won't happen; you understand perfectly well what i am conveying here...
    Nope I am not trying to trip your words. I mean what I say. You read online journals that agree with you and help form your biased opinion. Many of the information from your OP you could not have learned on your own...or just by going out side to view nature.

If I recall (I don't feel like re reading it) you bring up many things including a war in the past...clearly you would have had to read a book, or go on the internet to find said information. Then put a biased spin on what you read.

Also the author that you read it from had a biased spin on the story told as well. Thus , no matter how hard you try to fight it, you have many biased sources that fill your "well" and it is proven by information you show us. This information you gathered ...not just by going on a nature hike.

well if you are only the head... how will you release the poop that builds up in it?
    I really only said this because your point of "good and bad are on the same stick" seems silly to me. To say someones source of information is biased ...but then provide biased information of your own is well...a bad point.

Who cares if they are on the same stick...does not mean a bad point is worth giving!
    Last edited by Exadon; 03-05-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Why 108?

There are 108 desires in Buddhism, therefore 108 moves in many styles' forms, but why 108?

What's the significance of the number? And is it only Buddhist? Is there any connection with 18, which is the supposed number of the Lo Han Quan and the number of chapters in the Bhagavad Gita?

Anyone?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Always wondered about that myself. Hmmmm.

http://astrologyforthesoul.com/vp/my...number108.html

"The early Vedic sages were renowned mathematicians and in fact invented our number system. 108 was definitely the number of choice for this simple reason: 108 represents the whole of existence. Here's some interesting reasons why:

1. The number 9 represents wholeness and 108 when added together equals 9. 1+0+8 = 9. Interestingly, if you multiply 9 times ANYTHING, the answer is always 9 when you add the numbers together. Try it! 1x9= 9. 2x9=18 1+8=9. 285x9=2565 2+5+6+5=18 1+8=9. 8543x9=76887 7+6+8+8+7=36 3+6=9 The logic behind this is that 9 represents wholeness or God and God times anything is always God since God is all there is!

2. The 9 planets travelling through the 12 signs constitutes the whole of existence. 9 x 12 = 108

3. The 27 nakshatras or lunar constellations spread over the 4 elements - fire, earth, air, water or the 4 directions - north, south, east, and west. This also constitutes the whole of existence. 27 x 4 = 108

4. Consider the powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power = 1; 2 to 2nd power = 4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power = 27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27 = 108. The logic behind this is that 1 represents 1 dimensional reality, 2 represents 2 dimensional reality, 3 represents 3 dimensional reality. When you mulitply their powers together then you encompass the whole of existence.

5. The universe is made up of 108 elements according to ancient texts. The current periodic table claims a few more than 108.

6. The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the earth (give or take a few miles). "

I believe the numerological rounding up to the number 9 is also a reason for the numbers 18, 36, and 72 being significant in some styles.