Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need sources for essay

Need sources for essay

I'm in a college English course that is directed towards writing argumentative papers. We are currently in the early stages of writing our second paper, but I want to have all of my sources together for the third in advance. Its going to be over Bodhidharma's mythical connection to Shaolin martial arts or just Chinese martial arts in general. Beyond some of the sources I have by Meir Shahar and Stan Henning, who else has similar research out there? Would any of you be willing to email me a scan or pdf file of the sources you might suggest?

I need at least five sources for the paper.

LOL at asking other people to do your college research.

Hit the library, grasshopper!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well...it is kinda lazy but KFM is a legitimate periodical and a forum associated with it could maybe be a source...but can you imagine how his citations would read???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL at asking other people to do your college research.

Hit the library, grasshopper!
    I've already hit the library thank you very much. The University of Cincinnati does not have very many books on the subject. That's why I'm asking around here for books or articles that I might be able to locate elsewhere.

I've also searched Project Muse and JSTOR to no effect. I already have the few articles that the search returns.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 02-17-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    I've already hit the library thank you very much. The University of Cincinnati does not have very many books on the subject. That's why I'm asking around here for books or articles that I might be able to locate elsewhere.

I've also searched Project Muse and JSTOR to no effect. I already have the few articles that the search returns.
    Are those the only online periodical sources you have access to?

Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    Are those the only online periodical sources you have access to?
    I also have access to EBSCOhost. Not much there either. I'm trying to stick with scholarly sources. The authors of the supporting evidence need to have actual credentials. I'm supposed to use the "sandwich" method of quoting--author, credentials, quote.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    hell, man...most of us have great credentials...why, i'm a master of arm wrestling at pizza joints and other various and sundry titles...

can't you use books? or just periodicals?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    hell, man...most of us have great credentials...why, i'm a master of arm wrestling at pizza joints and other various and sundry titles...

can't you use books? or just periodicals?
    I can use both. I don't trust books by martial artists like Yang Jwing-Ming. He has proven himself not be a historian. The only reliable book I have in my collection is Meir Shahar's book on Shaolin. I have a couple of his research papers and some by Stan Henning, but I don't want to rely solely on just these two.

Blog Entries
    I will think the Muslim may have stronger influence to CMA in general (such as long fist, Baiji, SC, ...). Most of the MA that existed in the Shaolin temple all came from outside and had nothing to do with Bodhidharma's mythical connection.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-17-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Look for information regarding the spread of Buddhism into china and work in regards to the foundation of zen. specifically, you could look for different translations of the lankavatara sutra which is the 'seed' sutra for zen.

Bodhidharma is attributed with bringing Ch'an to Shaolin as well as the primordial forms of martial arts development.

look through the articles here in the ezine and look towards books about buddhism instead of books about martial arts and you'll likely find out more.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ghost....................
    This is 1 paragraph if a paper I didnt on this very subject. I did research and found hundreds and hundreds or books on (Damo) I know you can do the sme thing if you try
    heres a just a taste but its up to you college student to do your own research and homework. One cannot learn if one does not do for themselves

FAITH IN MIND
    By Boddidharma attributed to the 3rd ancestor from Jianzhi Sengcan ( jeeon Zgi Sungtson) translated from Chinese to English by Michael Haley and Shyun Kwan Long

Attaining the way is not difficult, Just avoid picking and choosing. If you have neither aversion nor desire, you’ll thoroughly understand. A hairs breadth difference is the gap between heaven and earth. If you want it to come forth let there be no positive and negative. For such comparisons are a sickness of the mind. Without knowing the great mystery quite practice is useless. The great perfection is the same as vast space, lacking nothing, nothing extra. Due to picking up and discarding you will not know it. Don’t chase the conditioned nor abide in forbearing emptiness. In singular equanimity the self is extinguished. Ceasing the movement and returning to stillness, this is complete movement. But only suppress the two aspects how can you realize unity? Not penetrating the one,
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 02-18-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Ghost....................
    This is 1 paragraph if a paper I didnt on this very subject. I did research and found hundreds and hundreds or books on (Damo) I know you can do the sme thing if you try
    heres a just a taste but its up to you college student to do your own research and homework. One cannot learn if one does not do for themselves.
    The main problem I see with this comment is that they wrongly assume I'm writing a paper specifically on Bodhidharma's life and times and think I'm too lazy to look up sources on him. The paper is about his false connection to martial arts. The main focus is martial arts, not zen Buddhism. I don't know how many more ways that I can say it.

I'm only interested in scholarly books or articles about martial arts history.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 02-18-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Research our old Shaolin Specials

Meir Shahar did. You'll find our back issues listed here. There's table of contents, cover stories, and a search engine. There's also ordering information.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

when traveling from India to China he brought 3 punches in different successions with some internal breathing and mediation excersizes. this WAS his connection to the MA of China so if you wish to call that a false connection you would be incorect.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    when traveling from India to China he brought 3 punches in different successions with some internal breathing and mediation excersizes. this WAS his connection to the MA of China so if you wish to call that a false connection you would be incorect.
    Three punches? Whatever meditations he may or may not have imported (some people doubt his historicity) they were not incorporated into the martial arts until centuries after he lived.

Prior to the 17th century he was just considered the progenitor of Chan. He was not associated with unarmed Shaolin boxing until 1629 when a Taoist wrote the Yi Jin Jing and attributed it to Bodhidharma. The stories about him teaching the monks martial arts is based on this forged document.