Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soul of Shaolin

Hybrid View

Soul of Shaolin

im gonna keep this simple. i saw the play last night with a friend(thanks for the tix gene). my friend as performed numerous times with the shi guolin school, she's not apart of the school but her school performs with them. and we both were only semi impressed. the opening of the film was impressive and some of the fights(one in particular with a bullwhip) where really risky and even scary from a fight choreographers point of view. but the repetition was killing me. i mean certainly the show was a spectacle and young kids and the uninitiated will love it. but for those who have seen shaolin demos will have a soso out look on it. i give it a 6 out of 10.

Thanks for the article, Doug

The tix came from the show. They were pleased with your review: Soul of Shaolin - Shaolin Comes to Broadway by Douglas Ferguson (photos by Kelly Fung

I may merge this with our Do the Shaolin Monks still tour? thread someday, since that's where this spiraled out from... I may not. We'll see.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Another review

But ours was first. And we gave away tickets.
    Duck! These Monks Have Feet and Fists of Fury
    Andrea Mohin/The New York Times
    By CHARLES ISHERWOOD
    Published: January 16, 2009

Who says nothing new ever happens on Broadway? We are merely days into the new year and I have a fresh sensation to report. The other evening at the Marquis Theater I sat squirming in my seat, possessed by anxiety that I might at any moment be hit by a flying monk.

I don’t mean to suggest that the kung fu masters in “Soul of Shaolin,” the Chinese martial-arts pageant that opened there Thursday night, are anything less than precise in their airborne gymnastics and kicks and thrusts. But as they fling their jabbing limbs around the stage, emitting menacing guttural shrieks and grunts, they achieve such velocity and altitude that a viewer could be forgiven for wanting to duck.

As cultural propaganda, “Soul of Shaolin,” which was performed during the recent Olympics as part of the Beijing arts festival, has a tough act to follow in the opening ceremonies of those games. I was as dazzled as everybody else by the breathtaking spectacle orchestrated by the filmmaker Zhang Yimou.

All that massed humanity moving in unison was a majestic sight, as long as you could put aside the fear that if a nervous flag-waver waved in the wrong direction at the wrong millisecond, a whole family might be banished to a distant province. The artistry and scale of the enterprise were breathtaking, like a series of moving Christo sculptures made of human flesh. All that, and Sarah Brightman warbling away on top of a giant globe, too.

“Soul of Shaolin” is obviously a far more modest piece of pageantry. It features 30 Chinese performers trained in Shaolin kung fu, a style originating at the Shaolin temple in Henan Province. They enact a very simple story about a baby torn from his mother’s arms during civil conflict and raised by the temple monks in the arts of kung fu.

Mostly the show is a series of collective or individual displays of rhythmic acrobatics and crisply choreographed combat. Although the program states that achieving inner peace is part of the Shaolin discipline, the monks depicted onstage at the Marquis don’t seem to spend much time in contemplation, unless it is contemplating one of their brethren spinning across the floor on his head or being hoisted in the air on the tips of spears.

The three performers who play the main character, Hui Guang, impress with their contortionist feats and physical prowess. The littlest, Wang Sen, naturally gets the zestiest oohs, aahs and aaws with his grim little scowl and the back flips onto his shaved head. The splashy all-monks-on-deck numbers combine the pop of a Broadway dance routine with the testosteroney thrill of Hong Kong action movies.

But “Soul of Shaolin” ultimately seems a pretty cheap enterprise. The sets are mostly painted flats, and the music (by Zhou Chenglong) is recorded. Much of it is schlocky; for long stretches it sounds as if someone loaded up the world’s most bombastic movie soundtracks on an iPod and then pressed the shuffle button. The passages of more relaxed indigenous music come as a big relief.

Unfortunately for the makers of “Soul of Shaolin” (the choreography and direction are by Liu Tongbiao), the innumerable Cirque du Soleil shows have set a far higher standard in terms of stagecraft. And they have plenty of contortionists, too. Watching someone fling his leg behind his head as if merely scratching an elbow is not the wince-inspiring feat it once was, thanks to those enterprising French Canadians and their hordes of international performers. (I suspect even Madonna can perform that trick these days.)

“Soul of Shaolin” is being presented on Broadway by Nederlander Worldwide Productions, a joint venture between the producer Robert Nederlander Jr. and Chinese partners. It is produced by China on Broadway, “established by Nederlander Worldwide to bring the best of Chinese culture to Broadway.”

I seriously doubt “Soul of Shaolin” represents the best of Chinese culture. Then again, the shows Nederlander Worldwide is bringing to China include the musicals “Aida,” “42nd Street” and “Fame” — hardly the best of American culture, either. All things considered I’d much rather see “Soul of Shaolin” again than “Aida.” And I’d happily be hoisted aloft on metal spears rather than endure once more the wretched “Fame.” But maybe it’s better in Mandarin?

SOUL OF SHAOLIN

Directed and choreographed by Liu Tongbiao; chief martial arts director, Jiao Hongbo; producer, Wang Jingbo; executive producers, Fang Jun and Robert Nederlander Jr.; music by Zhou Chenglong; sets by Xie Tongmiao; costumes by Huang Gengying; lighting by Song Tianjiao; sound by Wu Feifei and Keith Caggiano; martial-arts directors, Jiang Dongxu and Zhu Huayin; makeup by Chen Meiping; production manager, Fang Yongnian; general managers, Don Frantz and Laurie Brown; general manager, Li Zhixiang; executive director, Xue Weijun; stage supervisor, Wang Zhenpeng. A China on Broadway production, presented by Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai International Culture Film and Television Group. At the Marquis Theater, 1535 Broadway, at 45th Street, (212) 307-4100. Through January 31. Running time: 1 hour, 40 minutes.

WITH: Shaolin Temple Wushu Martial Artists: Yu Fei (Hui Guang as a young man), Dong Yingbo (Hui Guang as a teenager), Wang Sen (Hui Guang as a boy), Zhang Zhigang (Na Luo) and Bai Guojun (Abbot).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it was my mistake; cause i went in with higher expectations then usual, i took my little nephew to see it again, cause i was sure he would love it. and he did, and i gotta admit on second viewing the show was a little better. they seemed to work most of the kinks out. its the reason i never go to opening night on shows. so im gonna raise my rating from 6 to 8. its still typical shaolin fare. but again its the way its presented that makes the show work. i mean they did something that is scary in terms of fight chorey, the freaking used a real bullwhip in a staged fight. that i thought was crazy and dangerous and all i kept thinking is, these guys must not have any insurance. and all the high jumps had me cringing as well. so like i said people who are not jaded or not too jaded to the shaolin thing will love it. and it was packed both nights i saw it. so im sure an extended run anouncement will be coming soon. glad they liked the article. mr.neederlander was a pleasure to talk too. at the preview.

inspired

Kudos to the one-armed Shaolin monk; it was a great inspiration to see his skill. It just reminds me of how capable one can be if your heart is in the right place.

The one-armed monk

There's some good pics of him doing chain whip on the 1st article.
    Photo Coverage: SOUL OF SHAOLIN Opens on Broadway
    Friday, January 16, 2009; Posted: 11:01 PM - by Peter James Zielinski

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group have partnered to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle. The production began previews on Tuesday, January 13 and opened on Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre. BroadwayWorld's cameras captured the high flying opening night celebration.

"Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway.

"Soul of Shaolin" features 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the inaugural production of China on Broadway which is a historic partnership between Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. China on Broadway's American and Chinese partners will work together to develop and produce theatrical projects for global audiences. China on Broadway will bring an annual theatrical event featuring leading Chinese artists to Broadway in celebration of the Lunar New Year.

Robert Nederlander, Jr. of Nederlander Worldwide Productions said, "We are thrilled to bring ‘Soul of Shaolin' to Broadway as the first production of ‘China on Broadway,' our historic partnership with our colleagues at The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. This partnership has already experienced tremendous success with our touring production of Aida in China. We are honored to be able to bring this partnership to Broadway with ‘Soul of Shaolin,' an amazing show that blends the fantastic spectacle of Shaolin Kung Fu with the rich history and tradition of the Chinese people in a new show that has been created by world class artists from Chinese theatre, opera, and ballet."

Tickets will are $95, $75, and $50. Student Rush tickets will be available for $30 day of the show at the Marquis Theatre Box Office with a valid ID, two tickets per student pending availability.

* TUESDAY, JANUARY 13 - SUNDAY, JANUARY 25: Tuesday at 7 PM, Wednesday at 2 & 8 PM, Thursday and Friday at 8 PM, Saturday 2 & 8 PM, Sunday 3 PM.
    * MONDAY, JANUARY 26 - SATURDAY, JANUARY 31 (WEEK OF LUNAR NEW YEAR): Monday at 8 PM (Day of the Lunar New Year), Tuesday at 7 PM, Wednesday at 2 & 8 PM, Thursday and Friday at 8 PM, Saturday at 2 & 8 PM. Please note there is no performance on Sunday.

Nederlander Worldwide Productions, LLC and affiliates (NWP) are led by Robert Nederlander, Jr., a third generation member of the Nederlander family, one of the great dynasties of the American theater. Mr. Nederlander founded and has personally overseen NWP's efforts in China since 2000, establishing the first Chinese foreign joint venture in the performance industry and creating a highly successful network of Chinese theaters for their touring productions including, in part, Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Ningbo, Wuhan, Xi'an and Tianjin. Recent productions presented by NWP that have toured China include 42nd Street and Aida.

Eastern Shanghai International Culture Film and Television Co., Ltd. is an entertainment conglomerate with interests in television, film, and live entertainment. The company is supported directly by the Shanghai Mayor's office, with a goal of making the city China's premiere world-class city for musical theater and live entertainment. As a comprehensive culture and performance organization in the People's Republic of China, Eastern Shanghai has dedicated significant resources to improving the Cultural Industry in China as well as the export and introduction of Chinese cultural products around the world.
    Photo Flash: SOUL OF SHAOLIN
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009; Posted: 11:01 PM - by BWW News Desk

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group will partner to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle, which will begin previews on Tuesday, January 13 and open Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre (1535 Broadway). "Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" will feature 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the inaugural production of China on Broadway which is a historic partnership between Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. China on Broadway's American and Chinese partners will work together to develop and produce theatrical projects for global audiences. China on Broadway will bring an annual theatrical event featuring leading Chinese artists to Broadway in celebration of the Lunar New Year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow, I am glad I got to see the show for free with those ticket prices. The one armed monk is really a one armed monk, he lost his arm to a train accident when he was 9 years old.

The one-armed monk

He was featured in Riding Rails in China on PBS.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the whip fight scene was total bad ass. i will say it again and again

Another review

Siegel got the significance of Broadway as "an important cultural milestone" but she dropped it with the dance. Instead of using Dancing with the Stars as her bridge, she so should have gone with Superstars of Dance.

Fern Siegel Posted January 20, 2009 | 04:04 PM (EST)
    Stage Door: Soul of Shaolin, Champions of the Dance

Soul of Shaolin is the first show from the People's Republic of China to play on Broadway, an important cultural milestone. It's also a martial-arts spectacular, featuring 30 Chinese nationals skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu. The costumes are striking, and the music is exquisite. This is a performance rendered not by words, but by movement. And it's a wonder to behold.

Now playing at the Marquis Theater through Jan. 31, Soul of Shaolin is set in ancient China and tells the story of Hui Guang, a baby separated from his mother. Found and raised by the monks of the Shaolin temple, Hui is schooled in the ways of Kung Fu. As a boy, he is precocious; as an adult, he will embark on a poignant journey of self-discovery.

The Shaolin tradition advocates virtue and goodness of heart to develop both mind and temperament. Those precepts are rendered here by extraordinary physical feats. There is minimal narration; the story unfolds visually. Some moments are extraordinary - a man is balanced on four spears - others illustrate the thrilling artistry of Wushu martial arts. All underscore a rich cultural tradition rarely seen on stage and not to be missed. Soul of Shaolin is a family-friendly visual feast.

The American version of such physical sensations is probably dance.

Dancing With the Stars is a spectacular hit on TV. The ABC reality show even out paces acclaimed sitcoms and dramas. Now Town Hall is getting into the act - kicking off its 2009 season with Champions of the Dance, this Friday, Jan. 23. The show features world-renowned performers, including some from Stars, as well as the elegantly sexy American Ballroom Challenge. For one night, audiences can bask in the wonders of tango, meringue, rumba, cha-cha, fox trot and swing. The dances, like the music, are hypnotic.

Champions of the Dancewill showcase some of the brightest stars in the dance firmament: Erin Bomboy and Tony Scheppler, the reigning North American Smooth champs who appeared in Enchanted, Evgeny Dyaachenko and Inna Ivanenk, World American Show vice champs, and the current mambo champs: Matt and Karen Hauer. All are mesmerizing performers.

What accounts for the medium's current revival? "Life is stressful, and people want stable, romantic relationships. Ballroom dancing is the symbol of the ideal relationship between men and women," says Taliat Tarsinov, the co-creator and choreographer of Champions. "People used to meet at dances; now they meet over the Internet. That's why everyone is glued to dance shows on TV. Fashion changes, music changes. But dance stays as one activity that embraces everyone," he says.

A second reason for dance's enduring appeal is the artists' ability to express "inner feelings through their physical being - in the most seemingly impossible way," says Hong Cheng, a competitive ballroom dancer and director of Dynasty Entertainment, which specializes in cross-cultural artistic exchange between the U.S. and China. "Great dancers demonstrate unlimited vitality and energy," she says.

That beauty and energy ensure a lively launch for Town Hall's '09 season.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just found out that my article on the shaolin on broadway was deleted.

out of the system. guess it happened during the system crash. oh well.hopefully ill be able to write more.

No it wasn't

It's right here: Soul of Shaolin - Shaolin Comes to Broadway by Douglas Ferguson (photos by Kelly Fung). It dropped off the front page and is currently on archive page 3, but it's still there.

Don't scare me like that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i was searching for it by name and the only thing under my name was lee/gendary so i thought it got erased. oh sorry for the mix up, gene.

No worries

Since we just migrated the site to a new server, there's liable to be some broken links and funky search issues for a spell. Wait until the cyberdust settles and it should come up again.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

interview with Nederlanders

Interesting insight in China/US theater relationships.

Give My Regards to Beijing: Five Questions for Robert Nederlander Jr.
    September 15, 2009 Davi Napoleon

There are people who love to pack their bags and head out. Me, I’d rather vacation in my backyard. And when producers bring shows to me, I’m grateful.

During my formative years, I circled the globe with the help of Harvey Lichtenstein, who brought the world to the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Since I moved to Michigan, I’ve depended on the University Musical Society (UMS), which has saved me innumerable schleps to London; I’ve enjoyed top Shakespeare companies and Simon McBurney’s remarkable Complicite in Ann Arbor. This season, UMS has booked my passage to Russia for the Maly Drama Theater of St. Petersburg’s Uncle Vanya.* I’ll be home by bedtime.

Thanks to the Nederlanders, whose theaters in Detroit present a variety of national tours, I’m also able to enjoy the best of Broadway without boarding a flight. I’ve always associated the Nederlander name with Broadway and Detroit, where the family began to build the theatrical empire David T. Nederlander founded in 1912 when he bought the Detroit Opera House.

Now the Nederlanders, who produce, co-produce, and book in their theaters, own nine houses on Broadway, three in London, and several in various parts of the United States.

Fortunately, Robert Nederlander Jr., president of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment (NWE), who acquired the Nederlander theaters in San Francisco, Bethesda, and Sarasota for off-Broadway as well as Broadway offerings, doesn’t share my aversion to travel. In 2000, he began exploring the possibility of taking mega musicals to China, and in 2005, NWE formed Nederlander New Century (NNC) with a Chinese partner, marking the first foreign joint venture the Chinese government allowed in its performing arts industry. Audiences throughout China and America are the beneficiaries.

In 2007, NNC brought 42nd Street to nine cities in China, and the next year, they brought a Chinese dance company to New York to perform The Dream of the Red Chamber. That was just the start of something new. I talked to Robert Nederlander Jr. about it.

DN: You toured Savion Glover’s tap dance show internationally. But when you started taking huge Broadway musicals to China, you took touring to a new level. What’s different and what’s the same about taking a Broadway hit to, say, Detroit and taking the same show to Beijing? Do you market a show the same way, for instance?

RN: There are several aspects to that. One relates to the technical challenges that we or any Western producer faces traveling about China. The audience is still relatively new outside of Shanghai and Beijing, so there’s a an educational process to exactly what Broadway is….It’s only recently that the concept of having to purchase tickets as a single ticket buyer has developed in many markets. You acquire tickets through friends or through your workplace as opposed to buying them as an individual, and changing buying habits is one of the challenges for any Western company.

It’s not an easy environment to do business in. It just takes time. You have significant cultural differences in how business is undertaken, and there’s a language barrier. English is taught in the schools, and it’s widespread. With that said, this certainly isn’t universal, and any show that comes in has superscript text translation that most theaters are capable of supporting.

You learn that without a great interpreter, you’ll have trouble in whatever you do. I remember early on I was conducting a negotiation, and it was an interpreter I hadn’t worked with before. I don’t remember the exact nature of the point that was being negotiated, but I recall saying I needed to consult an attorney regarding it. After a long pause, the response I received was something to the effect, ‘Well go ahead, you can try.’ I thought that was a puzzling response, so I asked the interpreter. ‘You said you were going to explore suing him.’

You want to catch those mistakes early. You just gotta be flexible and you gotta be prepared to take your lumps.

There’s also the language of our business. We have particular terminology and having great interpreters who understand the vernacular [is essential to creating] an effective bridge between a local technical team and our technical team. You’re locked into a schedule and being able to load in and out is essential. The more time it takes to set up a show, the fewer shows you’re able to perform whenever you tour across anywhere. In the United States, there are certainly regional differences in how shows are presented and marketed, and having a local partner with a strong familiarity with local conditions is fundamental, too.

DN: How do you develop those partnerships?

RN: I’ve probably hosted between 50 and 100 cultural delegations to China. Over time and through those visits, you find as you would anywhere groups or individuals with common interests. You seek out those who share the same goals, and it’s a win-win arrangement. Like any solid partnership, it takes time to mature, and a lot of patience.

DN: You brought a bit of China back to Broadway. How did you become involved in The Dream of the Red Chamber and Soul of Shaolin? Can you tell us a little about those shows?

RN: This began as a mutual interest between ourselves and the different Chinese partners that we have. There’s a genuine interest in China and Chinese culture here in the United States. [People want to understand China and make connections.] What better way to bridge that gap than through cultural performances?

DN: It seems to this casual onlooker that you were born to Broadway, even if you’re taking Broadway half way around the world. But you didn’t study theater or arts management, did you? Your University of Michigan degrees are in economics and computer science, then law, and you practiced law for a while. I gather you also enjoy football. Still, you’ve become part of and expanded the family business. How do you blend your interests?

RN: I practiced law for several years here in New York City. Then I thought there were some interesting opportunities working in the family business and taking advantage of my education and legal skill set. I use it quite often. Everything we do is contract based. What a contract means is a bit different in China than here, and my legal background allows me to be a more effective negotiator.

DN: I bet I missed something important. Please answer a question I didn’t think to ask.

RN: I’m asked quite a bit ‘Why China?’ and perhaps today there’s an obvious answer. It’s one of the fastest growing economies in the world with tremendous opportunities. It wasn’t as obvious ten years ago when I started this. I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to the opportunity back then.

We’ve had a tremendous response to 42nd Street and Aida. We have Fame, which will open at the end of the year. We co-produced a Chinese language version of Fame last year with Beijing Central Academy of Drama [but] there’s a preference for authenticity in China and having Western actors performing the show in English is something people are willing to pay the premium necessary to support the high cost of touring.

Aside from the distance, I always enjoy going there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips