Thread: MA after 50

Hybrid View

MA after 50

So when you turn 30 years of age;

you said that I have to slow down a bit.

When you turn 40 years old;

you said that may be I may work on some aspects more.

When you turn 50;

1. forget about it?

2. do's and don'ts

3. why bother?

4. focus on breathing exercise and relaxation exercise more

--

what do you think, and comment.

Depends how torn up your body is.
    Someone who was moderately active from a young age until 50s, who took breaks from training at various stages of life, will be much more "fresh" physically and mentally than someone who went hard core from a young age, without stopping.

I've known people who started young and were burned out in their 20s.
    I've known other people who didn't start till their late 30s, early 40s and defied the stereotype of the fighter over 34 with no reflexes, speed, or stamina.

Wear and tear means something; especially when the brain's involved, which is why it's important to take care of your health.
    Balancing progress & pushing yourself with overtraining & burn out is a fine art.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

34.... going harder than ever. Though recovery takes a bit longer.... but maybe because that's what I've been told all my life.

I see plenty of 40 year olds surfing at a high-level, fighting at a high level.

Plenty of 50 and 60 year olds still surfing.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I still spar, and roll, although now, I choose my trainning partners more wisely. We have a small group who have around 30 years experience each. We know how to raise and lower the intensity. We know how to throw safely, choke safely, and lock safely.
    It still takes me till Wednesday to recover from Sunday;s practice!

I'm 51.
    I know I am not training for the cage, for the ring, and probably won't be getting into many fights in bars. I can protect myself. The chances of a Master starting a fight with me is probably pretty slim.
    I train to develop myself.
    I train to reach higher and higher skill levels and greater understanding of Gung-Fu.
    I train, so I can be a better teacher for my students.
    I train because it's fun.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'm glad I started a little later in life. Most of the 40/50 somethings in our school started in their 30s. I've seen younger students come into our program and for a year or so they are at the school every time the door is open just training like crazy then, all of a sydden, they just disappear. I think being an older student gives you a little insight into paciing yourself and not burning out.

I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago. That doesn't mean my training is any less. I know I'm not as fast or as strong so I have to be smarter, more accurate, more efficient. My technique has to be better because gross abilities are less. My timing has to be improved. Also because my body is worn down my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly. Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    So when you turn 30 years of age;

you said that I have to slow down a bit.

When you turn 40 years old;

you said that may be I may work on some aspects more.

When you turn 50;

1. forget about it?

2. do's and don'ts

3. why bother?

4. focus on breathing exercise and relaxation exercise more

--

what do you think, and comment.

Simple.

My idea of kung fu training is that it is forever. That is the way I was taught by my sifu and I have met other sifus (real ones and not the McDonald´s variety) who have also said the same.

So when one starts his training it is done with the health aspects in mind as not to overstrain the body in ways that will cause injury and chronic problems later in life.

Take care.