Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MA after 50

MA after 50

So when you turn 30 years of age;

you said that I have to slow down a bit.

When you turn 40 years old;

you said that may be I may work on some aspects more.

When you turn 50;

1. forget about it?

2. do's and don'ts

3. why bother?

4. focus on breathing exercise and relaxation exercise more

--

what do you think, and comment.

Depends how torn up your body is.
    Someone who was moderately active from a young age until 50s, who took breaks from training at various stages of life, will be much more "fresh" physically and mentally than someone who went hard core from a young age, without stopping.

I've known people who started young and were burned out in their 20s.
    I've known other people who didn't start till their late 30s, early 40s and defied the stereotype of the fighter over 34 with no reflexes, speed, or stamina.

Wear and tear means something; especially when the brain's involved, which is why it's important to take care of your health.
    Balancing progress & pushing yourself with overtraining & burn out is a fine art.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

34.... going harder than ever. Though recovery takes a bit longer.... but maybe because that's what I've been told all my life.

I see plenty of 40 year olds surfing at a high-level, fighting at a high level.

Plenty of 50 and 60 year olds still surfing.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I still spar, and roll, although now, I choose my trainning partners more wisely. We have a small group who have around 30 years experience each. We know how to raise and lower the intensity. We know how to throw safely, choke safely, and lock safely.
    It still takes me till Wednesday to recover from Sunday;s practice!

I'm 51.
    I know I am not training for the cage, for the ring, and probably won't be getting into many fights in bars. I can protect myself. The chances of a Master starting a fight with me is probably pretty slim.
    I train to develop myself.
    I train to reach higher and higher skill levels and greater understanding of Gung-Fu.
    I train, so I can be a better teacher for my students.
    I train because it's fun.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I'm glad I started a little later in life. Most of the 40/50 somethings in our school started in their 30s. I've seen younger students come into our program and for a year or so they are at the school every time the door is open just training like crazy then, all of a sydden, they just disappear. I think being an older student gives you a little insight into paciing yourself and not burning out.

I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago. That doesn't mean my training is any less. I know I'm not as fast or as strong so I have to be smarter, more accurate, more efficient. My technique has to be better because gross abilities are less. My timing has to be improved. Also because my body is worn down my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly. Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by unyma View Post
    I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago.
    My timing has to be improved.
    my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly.
    Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.
    I am stronger and faster than I was ten years ago.
    and it is due to the above.
    My timing is better, so instead of blocking the strike, I intercept the intent and attack simultaneously.
    By understanding my structure, I am able to generate far more power.
    By training the proper power generation and development techniques (lien gung) of my system, I am much stronger.
    As your body declines, instead of slowing down, you need to increase your activity. This means more resistance exercise, more cardio, and especially more flexibility.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I am 45 in 2 months, I still practice with iron rings, still do intense heavy bag workouts, occasional sparring sessions, run every day, lift every second day and have a fairly vigorous exercise routine using sil lum martial arts.

My training partner is 51 and trains the same way as I do.
    He trains tai chi as his soft stuff, I train yoga as mine, we share.

There is no need to make less vigour in your routines.
    After so many years it should be somewhat refined and you should maintain good strength in bone and muscle so that you don't hurt yourself.

Do your basics, do your attribute development! lol.

50 can be like 30 for a martial artist with the right focus.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    As your body declines, instead of slowing down, you need to increase your activity. This means more resistance exercise, more cardio, and especially more flexibility.
    It's very important to have a young heart. If you still train your tornado kick, spin back kick, jumping front kick, and flying side kick (if you don't hear your hip joint noise), you are still young even if you are 80 years old.

I start to spend more time on standing on one leg, another leg points straight up and pointing to the sky, and make my head to bend downward to touch my standing leg. I believe if I can keep my body in that posture, my balance, flexibility, and leg strength will be maintained and my body aging process will slow down.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-14-2009 at 12:38 PM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    and don't forget to order your set of longevity rings out of this months issue of KFM!!!!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

My Sensei's 62 and still going strong. He was also an International Judo champion back in the 60's and 70's, and has been training Judo competetively since he was a kid. He may be the exception to the rule, but it can be done.

I'm 35 now, and I pay a helluva lot more attention to stretching, sleep and diet, and I stay sore longer, but I'm still training hard.

I think the trick is to just not quit.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

my Sifu is in his seventies. When he locks me, it is still with an iron grip. He is robust and energetic. Sure, I know he can't do everything he used to, but probably due to his training in Dai Sing Pek Kwar, as well as Seut Gohk, he is very limber and tough as nails.
    I only hope that when I am his age I have that kind of vitality.
    I look forward to the weekends when I see him..
    ....with dread.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

l am 74 this year ,when you get older you dont overdo anything . practice becomes habit and to keep you health l have freinds who are older than me in chinatown who still teach and practice . it will give imo a gift young people take for granted good health. l still teach my last one whos 51 that makes it fun .

Quote Originally Posted by unyma View Post
    I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago. That doesn't mean my training is any less. I know I'm not as fast or as strong so I have to be smarter, more accurate, more efficient. My technique has to be better because gross abilities are less. My timing has to be improved. Also because my body is worn down my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly. Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

I start to spend more time on standing on one leg, another leg points straight up and pointing to the sky, and make my head to bend downward to touch my standing leg. I believe if I can keep my body in that posture, my balance, flexibility, and leg strength will be maintained and my body aging process will slow down.
    Super impressive for any age. How old are you?