Thread: Baji or Ngo Cho kun?

Baji or Ngo Cho kun?

Hey Guys,
    have a opportunity to expand on my martial arts...background( hung gar)..choices are: Ngo Cho kun ( nearby ,worry about overlap) or baji. Any suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyT View Post
    Hey Guys,
    have a opportunity to expand on my martial arts...background( hung gar)..choices are: Ngo Cho kun ( nearby ,worry about overlap) or baji. Any suggestion
    Well for me it`s just personal preffernce, but I`d go with Baji.

Ngo Cho Kun has a reputation as a good fighting system, but shares alot of similarites with several southern Chinese systems as well as some Okinawan Karate systems. Baji is a Northern style with a good reputaion for producing fighters, but it`ll probably be something different from what you`re used to and it`s not well known in the states.

I`d just like to try to add variety to my training.

Thanks David

I know very little of Baji, but I studied Ngo Cho for a time--Whats nice about Ngo Cho is that it has some good variety. While its core is markedly southern with close, boxy frame, in-fighting, less flash, etc, it does have some forms that focus on Northern long fistish types of movements. And while I cant back the follwing up with sources or determine its level of authenticity, I do recall that Ngo Cho was one style which held a pretty good record against the Muay Thai crowd some time back.

Ultimately, you should choose the teacher that represent more closely what your goals are. If you wnat to fight, choose the teacher that emphasizes that side of the training. If formwork, or drills, are your thing, then choose the teacher that focuses moer on that; style will become less of an issue as you progress and become engrained in a certain way of thinking and doing.