Thread: Print publishing death watch

Hybrid View

Hail and Farewell

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post

Many poeple will never give up print, there will always be the need.
    Got my copy of "Fortune Small Business" today - we all own a small business don't we? - the Editor's Letter says:

"Like the entrepreneurs we write about, this magazine is subject to the iron laws of capitalism. In a harsh advertising climate it has become increasingly difficult for our corporate parent, Time Inc., to publish "Fortune Small Business" profitably. So after 10 years of covering global entrepreneurship in all its forms (CMA shools???) "FSB" will cease publication with the current issue."

Who woulda thought Time, Inc. would have a problem carrying a little pub along???

I guess you're lucky to have an online store Gene... you're the future.. Time, Inc.'s the past...
    .... Skip

Some related trends in today's news...

...you know, Skip J., one of my biggest fears now is having to write a Publisher's Corner like that Editor's note. If I could just get half of the forum to subscribe, we'd be in great shape.

New round of cutbacks coming at Gannett newspapers
    By ANDREW VANACORE, AP Business Writer
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009
    (12-01) 16:53 PST New York (AP) --

Newspaper publisher Gannett Co. imposed a new round of cutbacks Tuesday, with USA Today reducing its newsroom staff by 5 percent, as the industry continues to suffer through an extended advertising slump.

Along with 26 newsroom jobs at USA Today, 11 positions will be cut at USA Weekend magazine, a weekly insert in other newspapers. And nonunion workers at other Gannett newspapers will have to take more unpaid furloughs, after already taking forced time off this year.

USA Today, which sells many of its copies in hotels and airports, has been hit especially hard by the advertising slump and a falloff in travel, which knocked it out of the No. 1 position in U.S. newspaper circulation.

The Wall Street Journal has grabbed that spot, although that includes online subscriptions, as it is one of the few major newspapers that charges Web readers. USA Today still has the top print circulation.

Gannett shares rose 12 cents, 1.2 percent, to close Tuesday at $10.01.

Other media companies have been shedding workers as well. The New York Times, The Associated Press and Time Inc. have announced job cuts in recent weeks.

"While advertising is showing some signs of picking up, the economic outlook for 2010 remains weak and the decline in travel has contributed to a recent drop in circulation," USA Today's executive editor, John Hillkirk, told employees in a memo.

Hillkirk said the laid-off employees would get severance pay equal to the difference between their salaries and what they can get from state unemployment benefits. He said the severance would come for one week for each year worked at the company.

USA Weekend is cutting seven positions immediately and four more in March, according to a staff memo from Marcia Bullard, the magazine's president. Its remaining staff is being combined with that of USA Today.

Bob ****ey, who heads Gannett's U.S. community publishing unit, told employees at the division's 82 newspapers that nonunion workers will have to take one unpaid week off during the first quarter of next year, amounting to about a 2 percent cut in pay. He said the company is asking union representatives to support furloughs as well. Corporate employees at Gannett are also taking the furlough, he said.

Gannett, which is based in McLean, Va., and also owns 23 television stations, eliminated 10 percent of its jobs in 2008. It also cut 3 percent, or 1,400 positions, last summer.
    Jack London Square's Barnes & Noble to close
    Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Barnes & Noble bookstore, a longtime tenant at the center of Oakland's Jack London Square, is scheduled to close down early next year due to declining sales.

The national bookseller's 17-year lease at the waterfront locale is set to expire Jan. 31 and is not expected to be renewed.

Barnes & Noble representative David Deason said in a statement that the store saw sales drop during the past few years and had "reached a point where it can no longer be operated in a viable fashion."

Last week, the New York company posted a larger second-quarter loss than the same period in 2008, totaling $24 million (43 cents per share). Large and small traditional bookstores have suffered due to online competition and the poor economy.

The store's departure creates a notable vacancy at Jack London Square as the building's owner, Ellis Partners, works to fill newly developed space nearby as part of a broader effort to recast the area.

The centerpiece of that plan is the new 70,000-square-foot Jack London Market, which sits below four floors of office space. The economy has delayed the scheduled opening of the market from spring or summer of this year to mid-2010. The office space currently is empty.

"The departure (of Barnes & Noble) provides us with an opportunity to further our vision for the new Jack London Square," Ellis Partners said in a statement. "We are already in talks with a number of possible tenants whose businesses directly align with Jack London Square's identity as a bustling dining and entertainment district."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

guys like me

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...you know, Skip J., one of my biggest fears now is having to write a Publisher's Corner like that Editor's note. If I could just get half of the forum to subscribe, we'd be in great shape.
    Hey Gene;

There's about 100,000 guys like me in this country - 50 or older, mostly 60 or older that take tai chi in a senior center class once per week; along with about two million women. Us old guys like to read print and have an interest in the CMA aspects of tai chi.

If you could find a way to get tai chi instructors to hand out one free magazine to new students, most men would take one home to read it, and some would subscribe.... Men under 50 get their CMA info off the web for free, which you know better than me... At least you do have the online-store....
    .... Skip

another one bites the dust

I hear what your saying Skip J., and we have explored that. There are two major confounding elements here. #1. Most all tai chi is taught independently, so seeking out each individual school is a daunting task. It's not like there's a national governing body such as in sports like tennis, golf or gymnastics. So it's hard to target teachers so. #2. And this is an odd one, there's a certain stigma of our title 'kung fu' within the tai chi community. I know that sounds really odd since tai chi is a form of kung fu. However we ran into this prejudice when we tried marketing more heavily to the new age readership. New agers (and here I'm clumping tai chi hippies into that demographic, despite my general distaste for the term) don't seem to want to associate with the implied B-movie violence of kung fu. The same seems to hold true for the elderly community. It's very strange, but a clear obstacle in us reaching that demographic.

Editor & Publisher and Kirkus Reviews Close
    By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
    Published: December 10, 2009

Abandoning some of the best known names in trade publishing, the Nielsen Company said Thursday that it would shut down Editor & Publisher and Kirkus Reviews, and sell a stable of other publications, including Billboard and The Hollywood Reporter, to a newly formed media company.

Nielsen’s plans to sell had been reported for months, but the news that E&P and Kirkus would close at the end of the year was a surprise. The company declined to discuss their financial performance, but executives said they had fought declining advertising and circulation, much like the newspaper and book industries they cover.

A new company, e5 Global Media, bought Adweek, Mediaweek, Brandweek, Film Journal International, Backstage, The Hollywood Reporter and Billboard from Nielsen, with rights to the Clio Awards and Film Expo trade shows. The price was not disclosed, but published reports have put it at $70 million or more.

E5 is a joint venture of Pluribus Capital Management, a private equity fund, and Guggenheim Partners, a financial services firm. The chairman of e5 is James Finkelstein, a principal of Pluribus, who also runs News Communications, publisher of the Who’s Who directories and The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper. Lachlan Murdoch, a son of Rupert Murdoch who once was in talks to join the buying group, was not involved in the deal.

Nielsen is not abandoning trade publishing. It will retain several publications, including Contract Magazine and Progressive Grocer.

Also on Thursday, Jonah Bloom, the top editor of Adweek’s rival, Advertising Age, left to join a blog publisher, Breaking Media. Advertising Age named Abbey Klaassen executive editor.

For generations, Editor & Publisher, though not well known to the public, has been a leading source of newspaper industry news and job listings. It grew out of several publications, the oldest dating to 1884.

“In a world full of people pronouncing and posturing and declaring about the media, E&P just kept doing good old-fashioned reporting about what was actually happening,” said Geneva Overholser, director of the School of Journalism at the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

Greg Mitchell, editor of Editor & Publisher, said the 10 staff members “got an e-mail last night that there would be a meeting today,” and expected to hear that the magazine had been sold or would go online only. Mr. Mitchell said that when they were told that it would close, “people were shocked and disappointed and a little angry about it.”

He added, “We’re halfway through our January issue, and we haven’t gotten word whether that’s going forward or not.”

Kirkus, a biweekly founded in 1933, annually published thousands of reviews of new books, a valuable source of promotional material for publishers and authors. Calls to top Kirkus editors were not returned.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,
    If you get the word out on my fundraiser for blood cancers, then I'll happily drop the $$ for a KFM subscription. I'll even buy some loot off martialartsmart. I'm not even asking for a direct donation from KFM. Just some visibility, and maybe a sticky for my thread in the main section. Here's my link.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/dhmomu10/dethington

Thanks!
    David
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

"The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

No bookstores means less newsstands...

Drake, I'm not into stickies. Some of the other mods here are, but for me, if you can't keep your topic ttt, then it's not worth it. Besides, I have the announcements for all the commercial biz part. It's not that hard to ttt whatever you want to promote. Just bait uki and he'll help you.

Laredo could be largest US city without bookstore
    By PAUL J. WEBER (AP) – 2 days ago

LAREDO, Texas — The final chapter has been written for the lone bookstore on the streets of Laredo.

With a population of nearly a quarter-million people, this city could soon be the largest in the nation without a single bookseller.

The situation is so grim that schoolchildren have pleaded for a reprieve from next month's planned shutdown of the B. Dalton bookstore. After that, the nearest store will be 150 miles away in San Antonio.

The B. Dalton store was never a community destination with comfy couches and an espresso bar, but its closing will create a literary void in a city with a high illiteracy rate. Industry analysts and book associations could not name a larger American city without a single bookseller.

"Corporate America considers Laredo kind of the backwater," said the city's most prolific author, Jerry Thompson, a professor at Texas A&M University International who has written more than 20 books.

Since the closing was announced, book lovers in Laredo have flocked to the small store located between City Trendz ("Laredo's No. 1 Underground Hip Hop Shop") and a store that offers $4 indoor go-kart rides to stock up on their favorite titles.

Schoolchildren even wrote letters to the parent company, Barnes & Noble, begging for the store to stay open.

"Without that store, my life would be so sad and boring," wrote a fifth-grader named Bryanna Salinas, who signed her name with a heart.

The Laredo store is among 49 remaining B. Daltons nationwide that Barnes & Noble will close by next year.

The company believes a bookstore is viable in Laredo and has identified a location for a large-format Barnes & Noble, but the space will not be available for at least 18 months, said David Deason, Barnes & Noble vice president of development.

In the meantime, without a single independent bookseller, Laredo may be in a league of its own among big cities.

Though an independent bookstore is the only one of its kind in Newark, N.J., a city of nearly 288,000, big chains are nearby in the suburbs or New York City. Laredo is surrounded by nothing more than rural ranching towns on its side of the border.

"We suffer, but we don't suffer to the extent that a Laredo would," said Wilma Grey, director of the Newark Public Library.

Some worry that the closing could send a message that books and reading are not priorities in Laredo, a hot, steamy city of 230,000 that is choked by smog from trucks lining up at the border, which is home to the nation's biggest entry point for trucks and trains.

Nearly half of the population of Webb County, which includes Laredo, lacks basic literacy skills, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

Fewer than 1 in 5 city residents has a college degree. And about 30 percent of the city lives below the poverty level, according to the 2000 census.

Laredo residents can still purchase books online, but civic leaders fear that without a bookstore, many residents will not have the opportunity to buy books.

Many also feel that the stigma of not having a bookstore hurts Laredo's reputation.

Outsiders, even other Texans, do not always distinguish between "los dos Laredos," the relatively peaceful city in Texas, and Nuevo Laredo, across the border in Mexico, which has been wracked by drug-war violence.

But some bookstore supporters are undaunted.

Maria Soliz, Laredo Public Library director, is leading the charge to get a bookstore back. The city's library system was already planning to open two more branches over the next two years to meet demand. That's in addition to the two-story main library painted in bold, Mexican-inspired colors that serves about 400,000 visitors annually.

"It's not reflective of the city that they're closing," Soliz said. "I know this city can support a bookstore."

Deason said the Laredo store is profitable, but its profits are not significant when factoring in the expenses of running a chain that's being phased out.

Some people also question the city's priorities. As Elaine Perry walked out of the bookstore earlier this month with a heavy bag of hardcovers, she criticized a recent proposal to build an indoor snow park.

"A snowboarding park in Laredo," Perry said. "Have you ever heard of anything so stupid?"

Bookstore customers tend to be well educated and to have disposable income, said Michael Norris, an analyst with Simba Information. But that demographic is hardly what makes or breaks the business, he said.

A bookstore is "either the cultural center in its community, or it's a pile of books with a roof over it," Norris said.

The B. Dalton in Laredo certainly skews toward the latter. It has narrow aisles, no coffee for sale and not a single chair to sit and read.

City Trendz employee Seve Perez said much of the traffic at Mall del Norte comes from Mexico, both from Nuevo Laredo and deal-seeking shoppers bused in from the country's interior.

Standing behind a rack of sale T-shirts that read "Save Texas Rap," the 66-year-old said his bookish daughters will be crushed when the bookstore leaves.

Next door, Laredo resident Misti Saenz walked out of B. Dalton with a sack of nine romance novels for her teenage daughter. She was stocking up before the store closes Jan. 16.

"It's going to be a total bummer," Saenz said. "It made me wish I had shopped there more."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

25% loss

Consumer Magazine Ad Pages Tumble 25 Percent in 2009
    PIB: All 12 ad categories post full year declines; Q4 improvement seen.
    By Jason Fell
    01/12/2010

To no one’s surprise, consumer magazines suffered a beating in 2009 in terms of advertising revenue. According to full-year results released today by the Magazine Publishers of America’s Publishers Information Bureau, ad pages for the year were down 25.6 percent while estimated revenues closed at $19.45 billion, a drop of 18.1 percent.

Of all the magazines tracked by PIB, fewer than 20 showed ad page gains in 2009. The biggest winners were People Style Watch (up 24.4 percent), OK! (up 20.7) and Saveur (up 12.8).

Of the 12 advertising categories tracked by PIB, all reported ad page losses for 2009—the biggest decliners being financial, insurance and real estate (-41.4 percent) and automotive (-40.5). Estimated revenues were down in all categories except for food and food products, which posted a slight 1.4 percent gain.

Despite the grim outcome, PIB said the fourth quarter showed some signs of improvement. Ad pages during the period slipped 21.6 percent compared to the fourth quarter in 2008 while revenues dropped only 12.4 percent.

“While marketers’ skittishness continued through the fourth quarter, magazine spending showed improvement compared to earlier in 2009,” MPA executive vice president/CEO Ellen Oppenheim said in the announcement. “Magazines experienced an uptick in food spending and relative improvement in other areas, especially in automotive.”
    If you follow the link, you'll notice that PIB lists full year-end results, title-by-title and that no martial arts magazines are included on that list. That's because we're all so niche. Niche mags are doing even worse.

Subscribe. Subscribe in January 2010 and you'll get a free Jackie Chan THE SPY NEXT DOOR prize pack.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I already said, Gene. If you sticky my post for my fundraiser, I'll subscribe. I don't want a Jackie Chan thingee.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If you follow the link, you'll notice that PIB lists full year-end results, title-by-title and that no martial arts magazines are included on that list. That's because we're all so niche. Niche mags are doing even worse.

Subscribe. Subscribe in January 2010 and you'll get a free Jackie Chan THE SPY NEXT DOOR prize pack.
    You know what's odd is that from a marketing perspective- niche marketing is very lucrative. You can target your market and the cost of entry is usually a lot less. Heck- there are a lot of people out there that owe their fortunes to niche marketing through magazines. It's a sad world right now. One where it's going to get a lot more difficult to get rich.

Down goes the Daily Planet

Someone better tell Clark Kent.
    Berkeley Daily Planet to end print, be Web only
    Matthai Kuruvila, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Friday, February 12, 2010

The Berkeley Daily Planet, a weekly newspaper with an often-irascible and campaigning style that matches the city it covers, announced Thursday that it would become a more frequent Web-only publication but keep its sole reporter.

Planet Editor Becky O'Malley, in her weekly column, explained the decision by citing the economy, pro-Israel "zealots," "city government's perpetual hostility to free newspaper racks," and the fact that its advocacy style isn't a natural fit for advertisers.

The tipping point came a week ago, when the Planet discovered that its payroll preparation company had embezzled money and failed to pay the paper's taxes, O'Malley said.

With "hundreds of thousands" of dollars in potential liabilities, O'Malley said she and her husband, Mike, could no longer afford to subsidize the paper, which had never made a profit in the seven years since they bought it for $15,000 from four Stanford business school graduates.

"The payroll scam made us think we had to bite the bullet," O'Malley said.

O'Malley's column, which says the paper has 40,000 readers, states the paper will publish through this month before reverting to the new Web-only format.

The paper had been downsizing for a while. In October, the O'Malleys laid off two of their three reporters. The paper had been reduced to publishing weekly, despite its name.

The paper was more than just a dutiful recorder of the machinations of government. It was a part of the political conversation, often taking a preservationist stance on issues like the proposed scaling up of the city's downtown.

But the paper's most influential and controversial role may have been as a community forum. Its letters to the editors were often published unedited for language or length.

Rob Wrenn, a neighborhood activist and former planning commissioner, said that although he is not a fan of the paper's journalism, the letters to the editor were important to the community.

"They've provided an open forum for the expression of all viewpoints in the city," Wrenn said. "The fact that they print everything is a good thing."

That wasn't so much the case when the paper, like the city's government, ventured into world events.

An August 2006 opinion piece published by an Iranian student living in India blamed Jews for anti-Semitism, from 539 B.C. to the present. The piece triggered a wave of protest from local rabbis, elected officials, and columns in the SF Weekly and The Chronicle.

Complaints from pro-Israel groups went well beyond that column, ultimately triggering a campaign against it. O'Malley said advertisers dropped by 60 percent, though she said it was impossible to discern how much of a role the recession played.

John Gertz, editor of dpwatchdog.com, a self-described Daily Planet watchdog site, has referred to the paper as a haven for "jihadists," among other things. He said it was sad the Planet was closing because he wanted only to reform it.

"Am I to blame?" he asked. "I'm only the messenger here."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Interesting New Magazine Publishing Concept

http://www.jpgmag.com/magazine

In a nutshell - their completely user generated content, advertiser supported, and they only print on demand for people who want a hardcopy, otherwise it's a PDF download.