Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fa Kuen

Fa Kuen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-PFgo9olig

0:15 to @ 0:35 and 2:00 to @ 2:30 you can see a little bit of the form. It's almost the whole form, but not quite.

I love that video!!!

I often show that video to my 9 year old daughter so she can see what she calls "girl power". It does not matter how many times she see's this video in inspires her!!

I have to admit Chi Sim Weng chun is one of my favorite lineages!! It's very clear and makes since!
    Last edited by Chango; 07-08-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Greetings Chango...long time no see

The only exposure I've had to Fa Kuen or flower fist is the Jee Shim Weng Chun version taught by Andreas Hoffman that we learned. Portions of it are seen in the above video. I am not sure of how it ties into other southern systems, but I have also studied a 5 animals system that migrated to Viet Nam. The "flow" in the 5 animals system was similar, and yet not quite as connected to the core.

The value to me in the Fa Kuen I learned was "flow" or "lau". This flow originates from the core. To me the value of this is as applied to ground fighting systems like BJJ - flow originating from the core helps transitional positions and movement. I also do some work on a swiss army ball for BJJ flow and try and incorporate the same concepts or feel. The same concept is there in judo kuzushi from the feet setting up throws. Also, the Dutch system of Muy Thai that I have been working with uses a lot of angles off from a front facing, and the flow from the core there helps make flowing to these angles a little more smooth.

I don't have videos of the Fa Kuen though, or the 5 animals stuff. But it's good stuff.

Snakebyte,
    I've been away for a while! This week here at work I'm getting more net time. I'm getting prepared for a heavy work load in the comming week! The calm before the storm sorta speak!!!

I find that the Fa kuen taught by GM Hoffman offers a complete picture! From it's Heaven, Human and, Earth perspective I see a very complete approach to combat at all ranges. Flow is very evident as it is a live form in that you see connections from one movement to another! Very efficeint use of energy!

I'm sorry I will not be able to offer a video either! However in the video that was offered the form was played from start to finish (if I'm not mistaken!)

Looks like Rik's version of my old set Mui Fa Kuen...