Thread: Ni-Ten Ichi Ryu (musashi)

Ni-Ten Ichi Ryu (musashi)

Just curious of anyones thoughts....

So Miyamoto Musashi/Takezo/othervariations, was adamant in the method of kenjutsu by holding the sword in one hand rather than in two hands. He was famous for his style of two swords. "If you hold a sword with both hands, it is difficult to wield it freely to left and right, so my method is to carry the sword in one hand"

actually akin to many other saber methods.

So my mental inquiry is in regards to the length of the tsuka that musashi was famous for. in your opinion, or education, was this for balance purposes? to keep the blade a bit faster on his long sword perhaps due to primarily wanting to weild it one handed, or maybe additional leverage off of the under/over forearm/bicep/elbow?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Using two swords was not unique to the Niten, many other systems used it and the TSKSR formalized it first, back in the 16th century.
    In regards to the length of the tsuka, there is some specualtion about this, Musashi makes it clear to rely on anything in a certain way ( Long sword, short sword, long tsuka, etc) is detrimental to the way, one should be able to fight with anything.
    Based on that view I doubt that he used a Tsuka(handle) any longer than what was standard at the time.
    Pros and cons to the use of a longer Tsuka and, from my experience , it seems that a person becomes proficient in what they train with, regardless of what may be "better" for a set purpose.
    In other words, if Musashi trained using a "standard" length Tsuka, he would be able to use it to the utmost of his ability.
    The Niten was just about two swords, ir was beyond that, it was about suing ANYTHING as a weapon.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    To more easily move an axe close on the handle near the head.weighted tsuka or longer tsuka making more weight on the grip side of the guard starts to shift heaviness to the guard. with an understanding of balance and weight distribution the sword seems nearly weightless (If you have strength in your arm~.

Even more than limited motion of two hands is positioning. One sword grapples. one sword strikes. Defend against one contend with the other. The advantage is training in this was limited--the devoted and dedeicated with the will and opportunity to understand multiple sword cuts from angles not in early training or positioningso they cannot only use one sword to defend. However creativity, Necessity, comprehension can allow your two handed grip to be versitile. Though, it might be exceptional to cope with two strategicly moving blades.

Greater flexibility of range of motion with one handed. Power bacjed by forearm...more arm at a zero weight point Stronger swing/slice/strike...

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Ni-to

The tsuba is used to bring the center of mass closer to the hand. So for one-handed technique you can simply use a larger tsuba than average, regardless of the length of the tsuka.

I do Shinto ryu kenjutsu as a part of the Shinto Muso Ryu and it makes use of both ni-to style and one-handed use of the odachi alone, as also featured in the jo-jutsu part of the curriculum. Supposedly, our sword style was influenced by our founder's friendship with Musashi. My teacher always emphasized that one should not depend on technique; training in technique is designed to give you flexibility of mind in combat and you should be prepared to "throw away" your weapon at any moment.

Be well.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Using two swords was not unique to the Niten, many other systems used it and the TSKSR formalized it first, back in the 16th century...
    Right. And Muso Gonnosuke, the founder of our Shinto Ryu was a student of TSKSR first, so it could be that his association with Musashi only reinforced the importance of one-handed swordsmanship rather than being the source. There is no tradition in our system of preferring a sword of any particular dimensions. You use what you have.

There was a period in Japanese history in which weapons morphed into ridiculously gigantic proportions with extra-long tsuka and blades. It is said to be indicative of a general loss of martial vigor in the country.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

thanks for the replys guys
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.