Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

Hybrid View

Ip Man Movie

Hi All,

I just spoke with my Sifu, Master Samuel Kwok. He told me that one of my Kung Fu brothers, Leo Au Yeung, is working with Sammo Hung on the fight scenes and working with the cast on their Wing Chun. I worked with Leo when I was in Hong Kong last September, and he is very good. If he has a say, the Wing Chun in the movie should be good.

I understand Ip Chun is also very involved in the project in advising on the historical details. With the cast they have for this movie, it should be a major movie in terms of promotion.

-Tony Massengill

I can't help but feel that this may be a step down for Donnie, after his last couple of flicks he has shown that he can be the premiere asian MMA superstar, the choreography and his excellent technical ablity make his mixed MA moves come to life on the screen and while his past performances of "TMA" have been excellent, I think that this is a step back for him.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

there are actually two films one by wilson yip another by wong kar wai. yips version will be more like those old folk hero movies while wang's version will be more of a bio pic

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can't help but feel that this may be a step down for Donnie... while his past performances of "TMA" have been excellent, I think that this is a step back for him.
    The thing is, with Sammo involved with this project the film is bound to be released in a much bigger way than any previous Donnie flick. His talent is extraordinary so it will only help him get better mainstream movies in the future imo. Even Jackie made films like The Protector and Battle Creek Brawl before he was a household name!

Donnies presence far outweighed Jets in their Hero scene, so let's see how good he really is at Wing Chun! It's about time the oldskool Warriors Two genre film were updated...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

i donink sammo's involvment matters. as he is not as big of a star as he use to be and donnie right now is on the top of the heap in terms of modern day actioners. spl,dragon tiger gate,and flashpoint were all high grossed films both in hong kong theaters and DVD sale in the united states. this won't be donnies big film as spl was.