Thread: Kahp Choih Video

Hybrid View

Kahp Choih Video

Another one....

Many styles use Kahp..Lama's take on it is much different.

Remember this; Lama Pai was most likely the style that first developed Kahp. I say most likely because we don't have written proof, but it is one of the core tech of our style and it is coupled with other similiar strikes of the same type.

Plus we all know the "Ten Tigers" story, Wong Yan Lum was the #1 guy, Wong Fei Hung's Dad and other key people shared info with each other. As Wong was obviously Kick Ass, many of his tech were assimiliated (borg reference) into the other styles.

Anyway, here it is.

Kahp Choih

Enjoy.

Cool, reminds me of Wing Chun's Ginger fist.

You've got great material, good quality recording equipment, and a very watchable presentation style, especially in terms of your "casual" clips.

With a bit of planning, you guys could not only have your own DVD series, you could have your own TV show a la OCC or LA ink! Maybe follow a new student through the curriculum, or a senior student through the seminar/tournament circuit... throw in a tasty bit of philosophical application to the street, and voila!

Regardless, congrats and good luck on your future endeavours.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Another one....

Plus we all know the "Ten Tigers" story,
    Enjoy.

OOOOOHHHHHH NO YA DON'T!!!
    You're not draggin ME into this!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    but...since I'm here...
    nice vids-keep'em coming
    In actuality, we throw the cup choy pretty much the same.
    In watching your video, you actually were ending up in bow stance on each and every cup choy. The direction of your stance in relation to the opponent was angled, but the stance was the same.
    I think it has to be, if you want to use your waist to twist as you have demonstrated.
    We also slide out with the rear leg to angle ourselves off from the opponent's center and attack the blindside with cup, as well as with other strikes-when that is the desired target,

so we are actually very much in agreement.

We also use the cup choy "straight down broadway" which is probably the application you were referring to.

I think the problem arises when we look at the forms in Hung-Ga. Since there are only three-four pillar forms,depending on lineage, techniques are more or less shown as concepts, more like topics of interest to be brought up in conversation.
    Cup choy being one such topic.

yeah, I also am not a big fan of the cup choy to the floor method I have seen some people do.

Like I said, I think the video was very well done, and you should continue putting it out there.
    People need to see what Gung-Fu looks like.

I'm going to echo XM here and say hell yes to a few dvds. I do karate and I'm captivated by your presentations. Looking forward to your claw/fist strengthening dvd!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Thank you my very much. I will be doing some some.

cjurakpt Guest
    so, having had a chance to chew over my having spent some time w/si-hing Mike, a few thoughts...

I think one thing that is interesting about how kahp choih occurs when "borrowed" by styles other than lama, is that you see the difference in terms of what a technique looks like / how it's used in context of an overall approach versus when transferred in and of itself;

in other words, in Lama, kahp does not exist in a vacuum, and as such the potential for doing it "incorrectly" is simply not an option - that is, it is predicated by what techniques come before it and after it; so you have the paired bin / kahp combo: if you do bin (what I do in the vid before throwing the kahp) first, there is really almost no way that you can end up doing kahp any other way than the way lama does it - the momentum that bin initiates and which kahp takes advantage of, by necessity has to terminate in a "side-bow" stance; if you tried it any other way, it would just feel wrong; OTOH, if the lead-in technique was more linear, then you could conceivably do a kahp w/less rotation - but once you do it "the lama way" (), you understand why that is preferable to other approaches, IMPE; perhaps what is being suggested here, is that instead of looking at kahp as a single technique, we really need to look at bin / kahp as a single concept, at least initially, because of how they operate together - then, once having understood this, one can isolate the component parts and use them as needed, but never completely alone - if you look at how Mike uses kahp in the vid, you will "see" that even though he doesn't throw a bin first, his core body mechanics function as if he did - had we not learned / practiced bin / kahp as a pair, we would look very different throwing kahp alone (this follows the general concept of large to small: as a beginner, we do things very big, large circles; as we become proficient and move towards mastery, the circles get smaller, and, dare i say it, more "internal" :); so if someone from another system appropriated kahp based on observing how a master practitioner used it, he might have not gotten exactly how important the coupling with bin was...

similarly, what follows kahp in many cases is the combination fan po / paoh (ok Mike, topic for next vid here): not surprisingly, this combo takes whatever momentum is "left over" from kahp and redirects it along the arc of the sphere that conserves it maximally - meaning that it not only tries to optimize the continuity of flow, it also helps prevent injury to the body during practice (in case you didn't notice, kahp looks an awful lot like a baseball pitch, and carries with it similar risks of rotator cuff trauma over time if done incorrectly - following with fan po / pauh is a "remedy" to the forces acting on the RTC); also, in a way, fan po / paoh sort of acknowledges the inherent dangers of a kahp "gone bad", for example, one that has been evaded, and assuming that having done so the opponent would try to quickly close the distance: so the fan po / pao helps to change your line to evade, and also to create a counter-attack based on a charging opponent (again, hard to talk about it, easier to see...)

interesting to think about the lama like this after a hiatus of some time...

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    In watching your video, you actually were ending up in bow stance on each and every cup choy. The direction of your stance in relation to the opponent was angled, but the stance was the same.
    I think it has to be, if you want to use your waist to twist as you have demonstrated.
    We also slide out with the rear leg to angle ourselves off from the opponent's center and attack the blindside with cup, as well as with other strikes-when that is the desired target,
    I'm not saying it's NOT a bow stance, we just use a side one more than a forward one. We don't align our hips and shoulders with our target (at least with our Meteor Fists). Structurally, it's the same stance, but the direction we are facing when we strike is just different from most.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Another one....

Many styles use Kahp..Lama's take on it is much different.

Remember this; Lama Pai was most likely the style that first developed Kahp. I say most likely because we don't have written proof, but it is one of the core tech of our style and it is coupled with other similiar strikes of the same type.

Plus we all know the "Ten Tigers" story, Wong Yan Lum was the #1 guy, Wong Fei Hung's Dad and other key people shared info with each other. As Wong was obviously Kick Ass, many of his tech were assimiliated (borg reference) into the other styles.

Anyway, here it is.

Kahp Choih

Enjoy.
    The footwork is the same but I was taught to use the index and middle knucles boxer style raking down the temple or spine. How you guys use the second knuckles lama style like the chop choi leopard fist is interesting to me cuz of the story how when Lau Bun came to the states he stopped using his chop choi for a sun fist when facing larger Americans...I wonder if Kaido uses the boxer style raking overhead with lama footwork cuz it works better on big dudes like how Lau Bun changed his stabbing punch into a square fist to better smash guys taller than him?.

I'd rather throw big knuckle punches than second knuckle punches against a bear We still keep the thumb on the top lama style we just bend the wrist and flex the forearm more to cut his temple with the big two knuckles.
    nice clips.
    Last edited by diego; 09-30-2008 at 03:41 PM.