Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: One for the married

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You are a stone cold moron.
    good point.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 09-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    where's my beer?

Good thread!

I see a lot of discussion about complaints re: the time spent in training.

But how about another isssue? How about the fact that you are training in something involving fighting? Do you ever get any grief about the fact that "fighting is bad" or that "violence is wrong"?

I know several women that don't want their husbands to know how to fight because they disagree with violence (even as self defense).

One friend of mine protected his wife from a bunch of scumbags intent on robbing her (or worse) only to have her scream at HIM afterwards because she didn't like seeing him hurt people.

Quote Originally Posted by JGTevo View Post
    It really depends on the girl.
    Good girls generally work like that.

Girls who don't respect you will leave you. Which is your gain anyway.

Some of y'all are truly weak and pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    good point.

Thank you very much.

I refuse to ever get married . . . karma is a bitch.

So, I'll stick to my karate six days a week, the occasional sparring with a local MMA gym, and the very rare opportunities my gimp-ass back allows for jiu jitsu.

And casual relationships rock. I'm too self-absorbed to really benefit a woman seeking emotional connection.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Good thread!

But how about another isssue? How about the fact that you are training in something involving fighting? Do you ever get any grief about the fact that "fighting is bad" or that "violence is wrong"?

I know several women that don't want their husbands to know how to fight because they disagree with violence (even as self defense).

One friend of mine protected his wife from a bunch of scumbags intent on robbing her (or worse) only to have her scream at HIM afterwards because she didn't like seeing him hurt people.
    **** her and leave. A woman tries to trim the balls off her mate is a double-X chromosome which does not need to be duplicated.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Getting married isn't that big of a detriment, especially if you marry a woman that has her own hobbies or interests.

Mostly, kids and yard work eat away all my free time.

Before we had kids or a house, I trained 5 or 6 days a week and she never complained. Now, I'm lucky to get three 1.5 hour classes a week, but not because she complains. I just have too many other things to do.

However, limiting my time has actually forced me to focus more, which has been beneficial to my actual fighting skills. Just don't ask me to do a form right now.
    Yep, it's the kids, full time jobs, domestic responsibilities....However, I've noticed the best sifus and fighters don't seem to be very well rounded in their personal lives.

It seems you are one of the few that can do it all.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I cant complain - my wife trains with me 5 times a week and is up for every crazy seminar that pops up. I love it!!!

Good thread!

My wife was mad (say it aint so) when I fought Toughman contests. The easiest fights were in the ring.

Nope.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

??

Good thread!

That woman needs her head checked.

Even if violence is wrong, it's still a reality. Once you leave reality, the only place to go is delusion.

If your delusional, have at pacifism.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Y'know, as I get on in years, (I'm past the half-century mark) I have developed much deep wiz-dumb. Here's some more pearls:

I only date ugly chicks.
    They are more grateful, and easy to please.
    You never have to worry about other guys checking her out, or hitting on her.
    -and if she leaves you, so what? She's ugly!

Dude, you are too much. A whole other side of you comin' out this week.

I'll pass on the ugly chicks though. So many hotties. Let them come and go. And down here, believe it or not, I've only dated college girls so far. Maybe it helps that 18 is the drinking age.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    If your delusional, have at pacifism.
    I'm the first to pass-a-fist across someone's face...

on the wif topic: as my sifu once said "marry late"; I took his advice, sorta (I was 31, not too old); but I think that it boils down to commonality of vision;

now my wife is a bit of an anomaly: for one, she's super-smart (5 language last count, started med school at 15, currently OB/GYN and will rattle off stuff about medical practice like she's reading a textbook but isn't); she's also Russian, so that is it's own thing (for those who know of what I speak, they know; for those who don't, let's say that drama takes on a whole new meaning); now, as far as the stereotypical female aversion to violence bit, well, if someone came into the house, let's say I'd be more worried if she got to them first (did I mention she did Sambo as a teen, used to go out into the woods back "home" w/her Caucasion gangsta friends and fire off automatic weapons, and once kicked a guy in the groin so hard he passed out when he got in her face while she was trying to resusitate someone as an EMT?)

of course w/her, in a way, a lot of the "rules" vis-a-vis American women don't apply, so a lot of it is a learning curve, even still 8 years in this past week; but we have a great kid, almost 4, and despite her crazy schedule, we manage to make it work (ok, admittedly I do a bit more domestic chore-work then the average bear, but whatever, I get to spend a lot of time w/my son, it's priceless); given a choice, I wouldn't change anything

again, I think that the "secret" is a commonality in terms of the way you see the world: that you can have a conversation and just be on the same page from the get-go; this, IMPE w/American women, I never had - but my folks are European and the school I went to as a kid was based on Euro-ed model, so I guess it's not that big of a surprise;

all in all, it's never going to be perfect, you will inevitably have conflict, you need to know when to put your ego in check and also when to draw the line - there is no cook-book recipe; as i said, we have a common vision, and from the ground of commonality, everything else gets worked out one way or another

if this were the 50s we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
    where's my beer?