Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Restaurants & Bars

Hybrid View

Right you are, MK

My bad. I could have sworn there was another in NYC but I couldn't get it to come up on a search. If I find it, I do the ol' merge fu...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jackie Chan used to have a ramen and gyouza shop in Shibuya, Tokyo. I was gutted when it closed down, but only cos I lost the chopsticks with the pic of him on I'd nicked so I couldn't get any more. Maybe it closed down cos the food was crap and the chopsticks kept going missing...

What's gyouza in Chinese? And what's ramen? Always wondered.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I went to the Bruce Lee eatery in 07 in Shanghai - great fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post

What's gyouza in Chinese? And what's ramen? Always wondered.
    I think Gyouza is either jiaozi (饺子) or guotie (锅贴). It's probably jiaozi but the way they make it in Japan is more similar to the latter (pan fried vs. steamed or boiled for jiaozi).

As for ramen, most of the time I see the characters 拉面, or lamian, on packages of ramen, regardless of where it is from. However, lamian in Chinese refers to hand pulled noodles. The packaged flashdried stuff we call 方便面 (fangbian mian - convenient noodles), although I have heard other names for it as well. Hope that helps!
    Grantis Mantis
    Grant's Pad

KFC

as in Kwangtung Fried Chicken

ah, memories of CTS and his fried chicken
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    You sit on benches and swords are on the wall.
    yeah, I understand business wasn't so hot with the way that they had it originally...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    ah, memories of CTS and his fried chicken
    oh thanks - thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of memory repression therapy wasted!

Now we're cookin!

The link for KUNGFU below is worth a click. It's in Chinese, but still interesting.
    American Lorain Signs Contracts With Two Popular Chain Restaurants in China

JUNAN COUNTY, China, Sept. 22 /PRNewswire-Asia-FirstCall/ -- American Lorain Corporation (NYSE AMEX: ALN) ("American Lorain" or the "Company"), an international processed foods company based in Shandong Province, People's Republic of China ("PRC"), today announced that it has started cooperating with KUNGFU Catering Management Co., Ltd. ("KUNGFU") and CSC Catering Management Co., Ltd. ("CSC").

Under the cooperation agreement with KUNGFU, American Lorain will distribute beef products, mixed vegetables, and frozen chestnut kernels for a total sales value of up to RMB 14.4 million (approximately $2.1 million) to be delivered throughout 2010. The Company has already begun supplying CSC with frozen vegetables and chestnuts and is currently in negotiations with CSC headquarters to determine the distribution of more products. The Company estimates that the increased cooperation with CSC may add approximately RMB 60.0 million (approximately $8.8 million) in revenue for fiscal year 2010.

These cooperation agreements are part of American Lorain's strategy to strengthen domestic sales channels through shifting sales to agents and entering into new market places like large- to mid-sized restaurant chains. In 2008, the Company signed a distribution contract with Yum! Brands China Division to provide frozen, canned and bulk food products for its restaurants. The Company continues to distribute products under the contract.

"We are honored to cooperate with KUNGFU and CSC and believe we can provide these restaurant chains with a stable supply of high-quality food products and superior services, thus helping them eliminate food safety concerns and the need to establish stricter quality control standards," said Mr. Si Chen, Chief Executive Officer of American Lorain. "In recent years, chain restaurants have grown in popularity in China for their convenience, consistent quality, and neatness. Cooperating with them should help us reach a broader consumer base domestically."

About KUNGFU Catering Management Co., Ltd

KUNGFU Catering Management Co., Ltd was founded in 1994. As China's first chain restaurant to achieve the Chinese Fast Food Standardization certificate, KUNGFU has adhered to international standards on quality, service and sanitation. Currently, KUNGFU operates 332 restaurants in Guangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Suzhou and other major cities, and is becoming one of the leading Chinese fast food brands. For more information, please visit http://www.zkungfu.com .

About CSC Catering Management Co., Ltd.

CSC ("Country Style Cooking") Catering Management Co., Ltd. was established in Chongqing in 1996 and operates based on a model by the American CSC International Management Corporation. CSC is the leading healthy fast food brand in the southwestern China and currently owns 70 restaurants in Chongqing. The chain plans to open more than 100 restaurants under its own control in municipalities and provincial capitals throughout China, expanding to Shanghai, Chengdu, Xi'an and other cities within the next three years. For more information, please visit http://www.csc100.com .

About American Lorain Corporation

American Lorain Corporation ("American Lorain" or the "Company") is a Delaware corporation that develops, manufactures and sells various food products. The Company's products include chestnut products; convenience foods products (including ready-to-cook foods, ready-to-eat foods, and meals-ready-to-eat); and frozen, canned and bulk foods products. The Company currently sells over 234 products to 26 provinces and administrative regions in China as well as to 42 foreign countries. The Company operates through its four direct and indirect subsidiaries and one leased factory located in China. For more information about American Lorain, please visit our website at http://www.americanlorain.com .

Forward-Looking Statements

Statements contained herein that relate to the Company's future performance, including statements with respect to forecasted revenues, margins, cash generation and capital expenditures are "forward-looking statements." Such statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are beyond our control, which may cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those anticipated. Such statements are based on current expectations only, and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those anticipated, estimated or projected. Among the factors that could cause actual results to materially differ include: general business and economic conditions, particularly the current downturn in the worldwide economy; our ability to obtain adequate supplies of raw materials; our ability to manage our expansion strategy; changes in foreign currency exchange rates; government regulation; difficulties in new product development; changing consumer tastes in disparate markets worldwide and our ability to address those changes; our ability to attract and retain highly qualified personnel; and other factors affecting our operations that are set forth in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2008 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward- looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The is just a Restaurant with the Name Kung Fu and some decorations.

I thought it was like the one in China I was told about from Yee Chi Wai.

It was a restaurant but also had a performance.

The Waiters were skilled in martial arts and you could order a demonstration from an actual Menu that listed various Hand, weapon and partner forms.

I'm not kidding.

Now if this was to open up here in the states then it would be pretty cool.

There was once a bar in NYC that was Martial Arts themed decorations andalways had some movie playing.

Once even the Palladium (showing my age ) had a Kung Fu Fighting Night complete with movies and demonstrations while the DJ had the dance floor packed.

Kung Fu Plaza Restaurant in Las Vegas

A Precursor to Peking Duck Found in Las Vegas -- Authentic Chinese And Thai Restaurant Features Lessor Known Dishes

There are only small number of customers who venture away from the most commonly ordered Asian dishes at Kung Fu Plaza Restaurant in Las Vegas, and most of those patrons are visiting from Asia.

Las Vegas, NV (Vocus/PRWEB ) March 10, 2010 -- One such receipt that most Americans would consider “off the beaten path” is Kung Fu Plaza Roast Duck. While most citizens are already familiar with Peking Duck, a famous duck dish that originated in Beijing during the imperial era, there is another recipe served daily that has humbler and more ancient origins.

“The Kung Fu Plaza Roast Duck recipe comes from a small valley in China, where the people still speak Teochew (Chaozhou hua in Mandarin),” said Allen Wong, general manger of Las Vegas Chinese Food. “Even some of their language retains archaic promotions that have been lost to modern dialects. The cuisine, Chiuchow or Teochew as it is called, relies much less on heavy seasoning and more on the quality of the ingredients, which is why we only purchase Maple Leaf Farm Premium duck.”

According to Wong, while Teochew people later migrated from southern Fujian in China, they settled from areas that were geographically isolated and remote. Many of the Teochew ancestry can be traced back to the Taihang Mountain range of north-central china, he said.

“It’s significant because just like not all Asian people are the same, neither are all Chinese people,” said Wong. “The culture is as rich and diverse as the United States and the cuisine is a varied as you might expect traveling from Boston to Biloxi and Santa Fe to San Francisco.”

Attempting to appeal to authentic preference of Asian visitors in Las Vegas, Kung Fu Plaza maintains a menu that includes almost 800 dishes, predominantly from China and Thailand. The menu selection, Wong says, represents one of the most expansive Chinese Food and Thai Food menus in the region.

To review a complete menu, visit http://www.kungfuplaza.com. Kung Fu Plaza delivers within a three-mile radius and is located at 3505 S. Valley View Boulevard, which is just east of the Fashion Show Mall on the Las Vegas Strip. For reservations, call 702-247-4120.

Founded in 1973, Kung Fu Plaza is the oldest and most authentic Chinese and Thai restaurant in Las Vegas. It is open daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The average entree is under $10 and most patrons order family style.
    So here's the deal. If any of you want to review a kung fu styled restaurant for our e-zine, email me at Gene@KungFuMagazine.com. I'm not going to compensate you for that, but you could wheedle a free meal from it. You'd just have to hustle it with the manager, get some pics and deliver a decent restaurant review. Let me know what you're doing and I'll back you up if the manager runs a check on your authenticity. I'm just putting that out there because I know some of you members could probably use a good meal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Very cool, BT

What kind of food was it? Were there any Kung Fu oriented dishes? Got pix?

If you're in Beijing, you should go check out Feng Bo Zhuang for us. That place sounds worthy of an ezine article. Maybe you could rep us there as our official food critic and get a free meal. PM me if this sounds of interest.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There is a sign posted that reads no photos. I was able to snap a few before I saw the sign.
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

Ninja Cafe Kunoichi

Not quite a Kung Fu Restaurant, but next time you're in Japan and you want to do the ninja thing: Ninja Cafe Kunoichi

One-day ninja experience
    be taught by a real ninja
    8,000 JPY(120min)
    Options
    500JPY -
    The original costume is rent for free, but you may pay for renting additional items and take a photo looking like an actual ninja!

Sayaka Ohguri Profile
    With over 20 years of combat martial arts training, our licensed instructor will pass his wisdom and knowledge on to the next generation so that they may learn the traditional fighting techniques and ways of the ninja at our Kunoichi dojo in Shibuya.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mala Kungfu

New in Boston.

Hot pot eatery Mala Kungfu opens in Allston

Photo: Mala Kungfu/Yelp
    Tue. August 28, 2018, 1:09pm
    Instagram by Hoodline
    @Hoodline

A new Chinese restaurant has opened its doors in the neighborhood. The newcomer to Allston, called Mala Kungfu, is located at 155 Brighton Ave.

The bright, casual eatery offers customizable hot pot in which diners select a spice level, protein (beef, lamb, chicken and fish ball) and from vegetable and noodle options. The concise menu also features barbecue lamb skewers, chicken wings, coffee and tea.

Mala Kungfu has proven popular thus far, with a five-star rating out of 12 reviews on Yelp.

Jiaxi W., who was among the first Yelpers to review the new spot on Aug. 22, wrote, "My friend and I liked this place and really enjoyed our time there. The Mala Tang is authentic and delicious ... They also serve pineapple bun, which was also tasty!"

Yelper Calvin G. added, “We were impressed by the flavor of the soup — it is spicy with a mix of sesame. The staff is super friendly and multi-lingual, would highly recommend.”

Intrigued? Stop in to try it for yourself. Mala Kungfu is open from 11 a.m.–11 p.m. daily.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Here's to your health! READ 4 Martial Arts Themed Bars Around the World to Visit by Monica Mizzi

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninja New York

This is slightly OT for Kung Fu Restaurants & Bars. I'm beginning to think we need a separate thread just for Ninja restaurants.

Experience feudal Japan at this ninja-themed restaurant in New York
    In The Know
    JUSTIN CHAN
    Dec 16th 2019 12:33PM

Restaurants often attempt to outshine one another by pushing culinary boundaries, but few try to provide a transformative dining experience. Ninja New York, however, is an exception to the rule.

Located in New York City's affluent Tribeca neighborhood, Ninja New York gives its customers exactly what its name suggests — a Japanese-influenced atmosphere thanks to rooms and corridors designed to echo a ninja village from the "feudal days," according to the restaurant's website.

Ninja New York's rooms, which are accessible by a private elevator, are laid out in a maze, with contraptions hidden in various places. To add to the ambience, the waitstaff is also dressed as — you guessed it — ninjas.

Decor aside, the restaurant also offers an eclectic assortment of dishes, from a lobster miso bisque to its signature prime NY strip steak. And the food isn't too bad either, according to several Yelp reviews.

"This place is a lot of fun and great for birthday events for any age," one person wrote. "Lots of showmanship, surprises, jokes, fire and table magic show at the end. Steak was excellent. One of the dishes in their multi course menu was a little too salty, but not bad overall. We had a lot of fun."

"The food was surprisingly good, but is more Japanese-American rather than traditional Japanese, as the majority of Japanese restaurants are in the States," another person posted. "Most Japanese restaurants here just tend to cater to the American tastebuds, which is different than what you find in Japan."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips