It seems to me that in order for Chinese martial artists to be competitive in kicking boxing events, it will be necessary to develop good BOXING. Looking at SOME of the full contact sporting events around the country, it’s obvious that fundamental boxing skills are necessary in these sporting events. Too often we see “bad kickboxing” by CMA fighters who are poorly trained in boxing and/or have no real boxing training. This is the bridge that CMA will have to make in order to COMPETE in SPORTING or full contact events. My opinion in regards to the sporting events is that fundamental boxing skills will create a bridge for more stylistic/CMA techniques and concepts to be applied.

Coming from a boxing background into CMA (Jow Ga) I don’t see a difference in fighters based on style, I only see the difference between training methods and individuals. Not to promote my school, but the best example I have is that the most of the gung fu application taught in our school not only apply to the principles of boxing I learned, but they also expand what I can from a boxers stand point. With my boxing foundation, the CMA style that i train now has expanded my view on fighting

Obviously wrestling and grappling skills will come into play depending on the event, but that’s another thread. I’m new to CMA and this forum so your thoughts on the “Boxing Bridge Theory In CMA” would be appreciated.

Thanks
UmFu