Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Chinese martial arts *really* have any special health benefits?

Do Chinese martial arts *really* have any special health benefits?

I grew up on the stories that CMA had all these wonderful health benefits that would keep away disease and ensure longevity. I bought into all the talk of qigong, meditation, marrow washing, and "Taoist alchemy".

Now I'm wondering if any of that is true, or if was all a load of crap from the start. Do any of the CMA actually have any health benefits over and above what you would get from weight training and aerobics and stretching?

How come you get masters of internal arts dying young?

And how come Antonio Graceffo's book "Monk From Brooklyn" revealed that monks at the Shaolin temple looked like crap and old beyone their years. IIRC he wrote about a guy in his twenties that looked like he was 45. Where's all the "longevity" and "immortality" that you hear about?

At the end of the day, do martial artists in China have any longer life expectancy and health in old age than someone in the USA who goes to gym and visits a doctor regularly?

looks like ya already made up your mind there guy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

No. They have no benefits for anything actually. No martial value, no health value, no nothing there.
    A unique snowflake

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    well, yes, and no. Martial Arts training can encompass strength training, flexibility,focus, concentration, challenges the intellect, deep breathing, include nutrition, meditation, etc. All these will if followed on a regular basis, continuously throughout one's life, develop overall health and strengthened immune system, etc.
    Of course, if it is done sporadically, and one does not take care of themselves, smokes, eats poorly, has poor sleep habits, etc. it will do nothing.
    It is only by developing it as a lifestyle, that it will have the above benefits.

Then again, we all know about those old geezers that smoke a pack a day, eat bacon and cook with lard, and drink a pint of whiskey every day, and live long into their twenties.

jkng, long into their nineties, etc. You also need to take into the effect that stress places upon the body and of course, genetics play a big part as well.

And anytime Shaolin Monks are mentioned, you need to add the BS factor.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Also bear in mind, that Martial Arts were not originally developed for health, they were developed for longevity,which in this case means outliving your enemies!-meaning, for fighting. The health benefits were realized later and then more techniques and technology was included.

It's been my experience that CMA promotes health due to the fact that during training you working all three pillars of fitness(strength, endurance and flexibility). Can you get this through other exercise programs? Yes but with CMA you also get the added benefit of learning self defense
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Well...after a fight, you get to keep on living.

...And the guy who didn't do his Kung fu...well, not so much.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    And how come Antonio Graceffo's book "Monk From Brooklyn" revealed that monks at the Shaolin temple looked like crap and old beyone their years. IIRC he wrote about a guy in his twenties that looked like he was 45. Where's all the "longevity" and "immortality" that you hear about?
    Tell me more about that book and that guy. I've never heard that.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

1) There are all kinds of monks.

2) There are all kinds of genes.

3) There are all kinds of practices.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    1) There are all kinds of monks.

3) There are all kinds of practices.
    in other words, like anything, it depends...

I think it depends a lot on the martial art and how it's taught. Some people just have better training systems than others, or more emphasis on health, and better understanding of health and the body. Chinese martial arts encompasses an extremely large amount of training systems.

No magic involved

Folks, there is no mysticism or magic involved.

If you keep active and moving on a regular basis you will live longer.

Just walking for 20 min a day will help one live longer than a couch potato.

Get off your ass and excercise...its that simple.

-jo

exercise, eat right and rest well. drink your water and keep your stress at a low.

these are part of good kungfu and they will extend your life and allow you a quality of life that is better than that of those who do not include the above into their daily living.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Training internal under Master David Bond Chan changed my life remarkably for the better.

I won't talk chi... I'll say I am aware of my body at a level I never thought possible. It's even annoying sometimes. The whole ignorance is bliss thing.

I look much younger than my young 34 years. My master at 65 (last time I saw him), looked a healthy 50, strong, and extremely capable. His masters were training into their 90s.

Could easily be argued genetics. But those that have trained right know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post

Balsphemy! Heretic!

There is only one GENE and he is Gene Ching... those who do not accept Gene Ching will be forced to have long disussions with HardWork8 and to go out at night with Steeve to his "unusual" dating haunts!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....