Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am new as of

Thumbs up Am new as of

tonight. I've enjoyed reading books about qigong and learning from others through website forums about qigong. Have used the breathing exercises, but have never had a trainer of qigong. I look forward to discussions about qigong with you all. Hope to make some friends in here too?

Welcome, I can relate. Never had a teacher, but I excell in meditation. I'm not good at starting engaging discussions though, someone else may need to start the topic of discussion (well, subtopic of qigong really).

Hope to see you elsewhere in the forum. Martial Arts all the way!
    "There is a point in every person's life when they choose to see through their own eyes" -Daniel09

"It is one thing to get over each others differences. It is something else entirely to think you can stop fighting over differences simply by avoiding them entirely" -Daniel09

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel09 View Post
    Welcome, I can relate. Never had a teacher, but I excell in meditation. I'm not good at starting engaging discussions though, someone else may need to start the topic of discussion (well, subtopic of qigong really).

Hope to see you elsewhere in the forum. Martial Arts all the way!
    Thanks for the warm welcome Daniel Is there a good thread in here where you can discuss your meditations with qigong and how it's enhanced your health in body and spirit that you can suggest for me to begin a discussion on qigong meditation for beginner's whom don't have a qigong trainer?
    Last edited by kfm; 07-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    I excell in meditation.
    what is meditation?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    what is meditation?
    And what it the definition of "excel" within the context of meditation?

There...now we have a thread starter!

what is meditation?
    Its like Dictation, but with less anal play.

How bad to you wanna know ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post

There...now we have a thread starter!
    well, if he tells us what he thinks "it" is in the first place, then we would most certainly "examine" the bit about "excelling" within that context, my doppelgaenger friend...

Well, *taps finger tips together nervously* by excell I suppose I meant I thought I did pretty well for never having any training. By that I mean I can calm down and meditate without looking like I am in public and when I meditate down-to-earth with my eyes closed I see multiple colors depending on my mood.

What is meditation? I would take that to be a state of consciousness where peace resides. Not sure how best to describe it. There isn't a noticable change in knowledge or physique. It seems to be very gradual in making things better.

I can say that since I began meditating about a year ago I have been generally healthier and clear-minded. My analitical skills appear to have improved and I can do anything I set my mind to doing. All these things may also have to do with maturing though, so I can't count anything out or in just yet.

If I forgot to add something let me know. I tend to go on about something and forget to do some parts.
    "There is a point in every person's life when they choose to see through their own eyes" -Daniel09

"It is one thing to get over each others differences. It is something else entirely to think you can stop fighting over differences simply by avoiding them entirely" -Daniel09

Hi Daniel,

Actually everyone has experience meditating, most just don't realize it because they think of it as a formal or stylized practice.

What does your practice of meditation entail? What is your purpose for meditating?

Hi kfm,

What does your practice of qigong entail and what is your purposes for practicing it?

my doppelgaenger friend...
    This is just too much!!!!

Are you calling me some kind of weather radar here?

to you!!

how can one excel at meditation? when we think in dualistic terms regarding our practices (and yes, i am both pot and kettle here ), aren't we missing the mark?
    no success, no failure--just practice.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

cjurakpt Guest
    Well, *taps finger tips together nervously* by excell I suppose I meant I thought I did pretty well for never having any training. By that I mean I can calm down and meditate without looking like I am in public and when I meditate down-to-earth with my eyes closed I see multiple colors depending on my mood.

What is meditation? I would take that to be a state of consciousness where peace resides. Not sure how best to describe it. There isn't a noticable change in knowledge or physique. It seems to be very gradual in making things better.

I can say that since I began meditating about a year ago I have been generally healthier and clear-minded. My analitical skills appear to have improved and I can do anything I set my mind to doing. All these things may also have to do with maturing though, so I can't count anything out or in just yet.

If I forgot to add something let me know. I tend to go on about something and forget to do some parts.
    bravely spoken - and very forthright in your response; I think the point here is to simply suggest that one consider what the "point" of meditation is, and what it involves; and what it means to "excell" at something that may not necessarilly be qualified accordingly, or could give one a false sense of accomplishment

that said, it seems like your approach is very utilitarian, and my personal opinion is that if you can have the results that you have based on no formal instruction, then well done (not that my opinion matters, really); I would only suggest that the phenommena of seeing colors, according to the "classical' literature, is a sign of imbalance being "worked out", and should not be fixated upon - meaning that if it happens, that's ok, simply hold one's awareness of whatever comes into it, but don't search for it, or try to hold onto it or try to avoid / get rid of it; personally, I wouldn't get hung up on the imbalance bit, but I would agree with the idea of not getting fixated on things you may see or hear or feel - it's all like clouds floating across the blue sky...

good luck in your pursuit of balance

Hi Daniel,

Actually everyone has experience meditating, most just don't realize it because they think of it as a formal or stylized practice.
    this is the "secret"; 'nuff said...(listen, this guy may be a bit odd, but he seems to know a thing or two...)

This is just too much!!!!
    Are you calling me some kind of weather radar here?
    to you!!
    so what's tomorrow's forecast? at least be of some use, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by qiphlow View Post
    how can one excel at meditation? when we think in dualistic terms regarding our practices (and yes, i am both pot and kettle here ), aren't we missing the mark?
    agreed - it's all practice; at the same time, the success / failure issue is this: what accomplishment is there if one can sit in full lotus unmoving for 2 hours and experience "bliss" at length, and then goes home and acts like a sh1t to his family? so, there is a degree of success - if one can utilize one's practice create a brief pause when one wants to react with hostility, to consider for a moment one's response and then act without aggression (assuming that it's not warranted) to limit the degree of suffering one causes, that would be success, no?

or it would be failure, from another point of view.
    (not trying to be an a$$--just playing devil's advocate...)
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

this is the "secret"; 'nuff said...(listen, this guy may be a bit odd, but he seems to know a thing or two...)
    Well if I know "A thing" you could say I might be odd, but if i know "TWO things", I could be even! So make up your mind then...am I odd or even?? Or both? Or neither? Or all at the same time? Or each at its own time? If I were two odds that makes an even, but if I were an odd and then an even or an even and then an odd I would be odd. On the other hand if I were three odds I would still be odd.......

Pant, pant, pant......all this math talk is confusing me and tiring me out!!

I need a nap now! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

so what's tomorrow's forecast? at least be of some use, sir!
    For you I predict SEVERE thunderstorms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by qiphlow View Post
    This would depend upon one's purpose for meditating. Not everyone meditates according to the principles of Zen. For some it is mental exercise designed to attain understanding, or peace of mind, or supernatural experiences, etc. We even had a guy on here a few years ago that practiced for the purpose of life extension/immortality. Each will measure their success or failure according to their original purpose.

To say there is no ultimate purpose other than the practice itself only applies to a specific context and is in itself a form of measure as well.