Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Man with the Iron Fists

The restaurant manager was not Doo Wai; it's actually long-time HK actor Dennis Chan, who was also in Kickboxer with Van Damme.

Interestingly, Jon T. Benn (who played the "Mafia" boss in Way of the Dragon) played the slave owner.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-04-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The restaurant manager was not Doo Wai; it's actually long-time HK actor Dennis Chan, who was also in Kickboxer with Van Damme.

Interestingly, Jon T. Benn (who played the "Mafia" boss in Way of the Dragon) played the slave owner.
    LOL I was wondering if anyone was gonna call me on that one, lol.

Can't wait to see it... tomorrow probably.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Cover story...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yea, the Jon Benn reference came up in my Nov+Dec cover story RZA on The Man with the Iron Fists. It's packed tight with cameos and nods for those of us who follow this sort of thing.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

they took the kung fu out of kung fu.

so first off let me say, i loved this movie...it was a really great first effort from the ra i enjoyed it. however, the fights just wasnt there for me. it wasnt distracting because there were so many cool moments. two things made me think the fights would suck in this movie. corey yuen and all the talk of no prep time from the stars. however the action it did have was fantastically well executed. my biggest quam is that RZA especially as his first film, shouldnt have starred in it. would've like to have seen someone else play this role..djimon honsou kept coming to mind or maybe even idris elba. russel crowe was great in this movie, and you can tell he was just having a ball making this. lucy liu once again, while her character was really cool and badass, ultimately her acting is so forced, that it takes me out of the movie. jamie chung and dave bautista were the break out stars of this movie. especially bautista. he was believable the way he spoke, his movements. i just wish there were more hand to hand combat. i can go on and on about this film. i want a directors cut thou, cause you can see where there should have been more to the story.

i expected more. it was ok

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    so first off let me say, i loved this movie...it was a really great first effort from the ra i enjoyed it. however, the fights just wasnt there for me. it wasnt distracting because there were so many cool moments. two things made me think the fights would suck in this movie. corey yuen and all the talk of no prep time from the stars. however the action it did have was fantastically well executed. my biggest quam is that RZA especially as his first film, shouldnt have starred in it. would've like to have seen someone else play this role..djimon honsou kept coming to mind or maybe even idris elba. russel crowe was great in this movie, and you can tell he was just having a ball making this. lucy liu once again, while her character was really cool and badass, ultimately her acting is so forced, that it takes me out of the movie. jamie chung and dave bautista were the break out stars of this movie. especially bautista. he was believable the way he spoke, his movements. i just wish there were more hand to hand combat. i can go on and on about this film. i want a directors cut thou, cause you can see where there should have been more to the story.
    I generally agree on the fights. For the lack of prep, they were good, but I would have liked a different choreographer, like Sammo, the Lau Brothers, or maybe even Kuo Chui and Lu Feng, of the Venoms. Corey Yuen's choreo is often choppy, and his fights start out great but tend to fizzle out at the end, or end abruptly due to some outside factor. However, they got Corey, and he did a good job with the actors, especially considering many of them are not specifically MA actors.

As for Bautista, the role of Brass Body was made for him. He was pretty much being himself; similar to his persona in the WWE. I could definitely see him as the right-hand man to a Bond villain. With his look, menacing demeanor and athleticism, he would put the other big men of the Bond films to shame. And with Daniel Craig being the most physical of all the 007s, it would be a great match-up.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.

I would have loved to help them with their gung fu

Man with the iron fists was fun and well done!
    RZA is the new Run Run Shaw
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Man with the iron fists was fun and well done!
    RZA is the new Run Run Shaw
    For RZA's directorial debut, I think he did a good job. But hopefully he continues improving his craft as time passes. Everyone I know said it was good, but was missing something they just couldn't put their finger on. They were saying "Flight" was the money picture for last weekend. It was interesting that RZA's character didn't really have to demonstrate any martial skill. Could he have done what a Don Cheadle did in "Rush Hour II", or is that why he just made his character have the super power (the fists) instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    For RZA's directorial debut, I think he did a good job. But hopefully he continues improving his craft as time passes. Everyone I know said it was good, but was missing something they just couldn't put their finger on. They were saying "Flight" was the money picture for last weekend. It was interesting that RZA's character didn't really have to demonstrate any martial skill. Could he have done what a Don Cheadle did in "Rush Hour II", or is that why he just made his character have the super power (the fists) instead?
    don cheadle has got some skills... idk what he studies but he knows something.. as for what was missing..how about... "kung fu" as there was none in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBchNFW0JcY
    this is the movie that most reminds me of iron fist.

rza had too many celebrity faces and not enough talent.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I loved the darkly comedic tone of the film. It carried the over-the-topness and the choppiness of the script.

Sometimes the right level of self-aware winking and nudging can work. This was a rare instance where it did.

Was it high cinema? Hell no.

But it was highly entertaining.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

don cheadle has got some skills... idk what he studies but he knows something.. as for what was missing..how about... "kung fu" as there was none in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBchNFW0JcY
    this is the movie that most reminds me of iron fist.
    But there were "styles"
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

don cheadle has got some skills... idk what he studies but he knows something