Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Killer

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Kung Fu Killer Part 1 is great. Part 2 comes out tonight on spike. Can't wait to watch it. On a side not Daryl Hannah looks hot in the movie. Not bad for her age.

Got a question though.....Shaolin is Buddist and Wudang is Toaist, right? Why then did David Carradine have the brandings on his arm if he was Wudang? Historically did Wudang brand your arms as well?
    Last edited by mkriii; 08-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Historically speaking, no one branded their arms...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Historically speaking, no one branded their arms...
    Why is it that everyone thinks that then? Hell, I thought it was true about having to move a hot cauldren with the dragon and tiger on the sides to brand the forearms......LOL.

part 2 isn't as strong

Carradine admits it himself in our interview. And no one blows their spinal cord out of their back. It's a lot tamer.

Read the interview about the Buddhist Taoist thing.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

living rooms, hotels, school floors and outside.

I liked it.

Some of the gore scenes were unexpected for t.v. bonus points for catching me off guard.

but my fav. movie besides the starwars saga is big trouble in little china...

I blame TNT and USA for playing it everyday for the last 22 years of my life. and my OCD for making me watch it every time I see it.

very good film

Well, I just got through watching part 1 of Kung Fu Killer and was impressed. I went in with pretty low expectations and was happy to see good fight scenes, acting, and camera work. David did a great job with the choreography for a seventy plus year old in my opinion.

In regards to Gene's interview, I found it very interesting. Gene did seem to come on strong in some of his questions, but I understand he has to get his subject to budge a little bit any way he can. That's his job. David has been in the business for decades and has heard about every question there is. I thought Gene allowed him to give some more candid answers about things than many others have in the past. As an actor I appreciate a lot of David's points of view and like his analogy of Mel Gibson playing Hamlet. Many people forget that after Kung Fu in the 70s, David gave some brilliant award winning and nominated performances in such films as Bound for Glory and North and South.

I'm looking forward to seeing part 2 of Kung Fu Killer. I've got the DVR set, so hopefully I will get around to it later in the week.

i tried watching it, but the olympic beach volleyball was more interesting. kung fu killer looked cool, but was pure garbage filled with carradines hippy and mystical taste on kung fu, from the 1 minute i did pay attention. i left it on but didnt pay attention to most of it my opinion.

i acutally enjoyed circle of iron more.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 08-18-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

second part not even in the same atmosphere as the first

i didn't like it to much. maybe cause i was tired from being awake for 48 hours. but i didn't enjoy nearly as much as the first. i didn't feel that that story was even necessary.

I didn't like part 2 near as much as the first one. Almost all the fight scenes were filmed at night time or in a cave. I don't know if it was my tv or the filming but it was so dark you couldn't see what was happening. I think if they had a little more lighting when filming I would have liked it a little more.

I interested in watching the project because it starred a local wushu artist from Vancouver BC.

I wasn't expecting much in terms of production, though it looked very nice, I couldn't stand the dialogue. The faux Chinese in English was very irritating...it stinks of what Western people think is Asian rather than what is geuinely Asian. Which is too bad...since it could've been both. I like the noir-ish time period and all that. I think there was a lot of potential with actors and budget that wasn't capitalized. How come David Carradine fights like Kwai Chang Cane again? (I thought all the training for Kill Bill would have helped...but I guess that's more about choreography).

What's with the "Wu Dang" temple and huge "Fut/fo" Chinese character on building? Cheng Pei Pei dressed like a taoist but students like monks? Bai Yang's turn to evil is as convincing as Anakin turn to Vader in the Star Wars prequels.

Just too much....much too much....

Anya Wu is hot...I think that is something we can agree on?

thanks for the props on the interview, peace&love

it was a phoner, which is always challenging. i was only allotted 15 minutes, in which david had to break to quiet down his dog. his dog started barking in the background. i should add that i really enjoyed talking to david. every martial artist has an opinion about his contribution to martial arts but no one can deny his overall impact.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

F*CK DAVID CARADINE! DEATH RACE 2000 WAS HIS BEST MOVIE BECAUSE SLY STALLONE WAS IN IT!!! DAVID CARADINE AINT SH*T AND KUNG FU (TV series) RUINED PEOPLE'S VISION OF OUR ART!!!! F*CK IT.

man i had to get that off my chest.
    moving along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

^Hahaha.

A Taoist monk turning evil... sounds like Deng Ming-Dao's "The Chronicles of Tao" which is a great book.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    Anya Wu is hot...I think that is something we can agree on?

uummmm... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I agree with SLL

Death Race 2000 was my personal fav Carradine film. Remember that old videogame based on it? And now there's a remake with Jason Statham opening this Friday? How cool is that?

I don't think the Kung Fu TV series ruined America's vision of the art. It was one of the first visions and was groundbreaking during its day. I think Hai-Karate did more damage to how the martial arts are perceived. Did you ever get a whiff of that stuff? Jow smells better.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips