Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Taoist to fight Bill Duff

[QUOTE=Ray Pina;869931]If he's training submission grappling with experienced people the conditioning will take care of itself.

I agree with that. I started doing Judo again now that I'm back in the states for a few months. Last night we did 4 rounds on the ground and four standing. That will get you in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not sure if you can make a call on a person's conditoning based on how they look, look at Fedor and a few others.
    Really, I'm not. But he's really winded after a couple of seconds grappling. I'm betting he doesn't have the conditioning.

BTW, I think he has some innovative ideas. Granted, I also think he'd get handled by a good MMA guy, but I don't know who Bill Duff is, unless he's the Duffman. But his ground applications are the same as jujitsu and BJJ, so why not just study the art those guys study and add it to Bagua? He says he started studying BJJ, so it's not really Bagua, is it? Hopefully because of that he's gotten in better conditioning. BJJ wears you out, because it's a different kind of cardio and you have to maintain self-control to keep from wasting energy. I'm sure he's in somewhat better shape. He'd be interesting to watch.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 06-28-2008 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    If he's training submission grappling with experienced people the conditioning will take care of itself. Last week I almost puked. This week I almost fainted in the bathroom.

Rolling in a gi in Puerto Rico in June is sweat inducing to say the least.
    ****, and i thought forms training in a non-shaded park in GA was bad. . LOL. We've got outdoor conditioining for six weeks coming up. Can't wait!

If he's training submission grappling with experienced people the conditioning will take care of itself.
    Gosh, I wish this were true! I can verify, after years of competitive grappling at high (and sometimes not so high ;-) ) levels, that it's just not enough.

Don't get me wrong, by normal standards it's a great workout. But it's not enough on its own to put you over the top in terms of conditioning as a competitive athlete.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Gosh, I wish this were true! I can verify, after years of competitive grappling at high (and sometimes not so high ;-) ) levels, that it's just not enough.

Don't get me wrong, by normal standards it's a great workout. But it's not enough on its own to put you over the top in terms of conditioning as a competitive athlete.
    And neither is Bagua.

That's why I assume he's just a big guy that can push around his friends in a park. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Has a date been set?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    ****, and i thought forms training in a non-shaded park in GA was bad. . LOL. We've got outdoor conditioining for six weeks coming up. Can't wait!
    I'm going to HK and Thailand for some R&R and training this August-the hottest time of the year!- can't wait. I am doing all my cardio during the hottest part of the day to get acclimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I don't know who Bill Duff is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Duff

From http://www.history.com/

Bill Duff
    Pro football player, bodyguard, wrestler and stunt double, Bill Duff holds a brown belt in Korean street fighting (Toa So Dou) under Master Davis of the Wa Wrang Studios in Riverside, NJ. Duff is a two-time heavyweight state champion wrestler, member of the NJ Hall of fame, and undefeated in bar fights. At 6'4, 280lbs, Duff was a professional football player for seven years. He started for the Orlando Rage in the XFL and spent the 2000 and 2002 NFL Europe seasons with the Berlin Thunder, helping them win the 2002 World Bowl Championships. Continuing his career with the Arena Football league, he played for the Indianapolis Firebirds and Columbus Destroyers. Prior to this, Duff played for the Cleveland Browns in their expansion year 1999-2000. He was also co-captain of the 1997 SEC champion Tennessee Volunteers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Has a date been set?

Anyone taking bets?

Well... Bill Duff is not very far from a joke as far as fighters go... Unless his credentials have somehow greatly changed since the show started airing...

Id still put the odds on him for this match at any rate.

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    Well... Bill Duff is not very far from a joke as far as fighters go... Unless his credentials have somehow greatly changed since the show started airing...

Id still put the odds on him for this match at any rate.

what you don't believe in the iron baqua fingers? I would love to actually see someone who can fight using bagua..

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Duff

From http://www.history.com/

Bill Duff
    Pro football player, bodyguard, wrestler and stunt double, Bill Duff holds a brown belt in Korean street fighting (Toa So Dou) under Master Davis of the Wa Wrang Studios in Riverside, NJ. Duff is a two-time heavyweight state champion wrestler, member of the NJ Hall of fame, and undefeated in bar fights. At 6'4, 280lbs, Duff was a professional football player for seven years. He started for the Orlando Rage in the XFL and spent the 2000 and 2002 NFL Europe seasons with the Berlin Thunder, helping them win the 2002 World Bowl Championships. Continuing his career with the Arena Football league, he played for the Indianapolis Firebirds and Columbus Destroyers. Prior to this, Duff played for the Cleveland Browns in their expansion year 1999-2000. He was also co-captain of the 1997 SEC champion Tennessee Volunteers.
    How can one validate the bolded portion?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    How can one validate the bolded portion?
    Ask the Bar?

heck I am undefeated in all my street fights, you can ask any street I have beaten up.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ask the Bar?

heck I am undefeated in all my street fights, you can ask any street I have beaten up.
    I saw my friend lose a bar fight once. He just walked right into it while he was talking and got KTFO.

Was really really, and boy do i mean REALLY funny.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I saw my friend lose a bar fight once. He just walked right into it while he was talking and got KTFO.

Was really really, and boy do i mean REALLY funny.
    The bar sucker punched him?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !