Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighter

I hated that fight. Gurgel was injured and didn't do well. What did it prove? You got a BJJ blackbelt with 6yrs pro Muay Thai, and he couldn't do anything due to his knee. On the other hand you have a gangly alternate that looked like hell in training and even Matt Hughes wasn't counting on the win. When it was all over, probably the most gifted young fighter was sent home, and the alternate (with a face that looked like a dog's chew toy) starts talking about how he whooped a BJJ blackbelt with Muay Thai experience. It was good for Jason's confidence, but I do not believe the fight would have ended the same way if Gurgel had two good wheels.

Is Gurgel related to Fabio Gurgel, the guy who fought Mark Kerr to a draw?
    Monkey vs. Robot

Meanwhile Matt Hughes didn't give his fighter one ounce of support the whole time. But then when he thought his guy could actually win that is when he started yelling.

The 200 times around the body thing was amazing. I am still tired from watching him last night.

That guy is like a gorrilla. I think he has a good chance to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger
    I hated that fight. Gurgel was injured and didn't do well. What did it prove? You got a BJJ blackbelt with 6yrs pro Muay Thai, and he couldn't do anything due to his knee. On the other hand you have a gangly alternate that looked like hell in training and even Matt Hughes wasn't counting on the win. When it was all over, probably the most gifted young fighter was sent home, and the alternate (with a face that looked like a dog's chew toy) starts talking about how he whooped a BJJ blackbelt with Muay Thai experience. It was good for Jason's confidence, but I do not believe the fight would have ended the same way if Gurgel had two good wheels.

Is Gurgel related to Fabio Gurgel, the guy who fought Mark Kerr to a draw?
    His knee shouldn't have stopped Jason from getting out of the RNC, or the two armbars Jeorge tried.

His leg definitely could have impacted the armbars, you even heard his corner screaming at him to squeeze his knees harder together. The choke escape was not a result of the knee, but when one things goes that wrong, maybe he just came apart. Gurgel looked out of sorts even in the first round that he won.

Do you really think that two pros like Hughes and Franklin both were wrong in believing that Gurgel would kick Jason's arse if his knee held up? The footage of Jason training was painful to watch (apparently Hughes was not pleased either). Jason looked like a good opponent for Hosehead from TUF-1.

I think that Gurgel would be better for the UFC than Jason, especially at 155lbs.

That said, Jason would kick the crap out of me, then again so would Gurgel even with the bad knee.
    Monkey vs. Robot

In the stand up world the other guy had much better timing even though it looked sloppy. He hit him at will consitently and prevented many take down attempts. If your knee is hurt don't fight. There are no excuses in the octagon.

If he didn't fight, he would have been thrown off the show. Fighting at least gave him a chance of winning. I think a lot of Gurgel's bravado was him trying to scare people away from picking him because he knew it was bad. He said so a couple of episodes ago. It is no suprise that the BJJ guy had a hard time taking down the wrestler, but the stand-up victory of Jason's was helped by the bum wheel. An average boxer can look much better when his opponent isn't moving very much.

There are no excuses in the octagon???
    There sure are a lot outside it. I've been watching these fights from UFC 1 to date, and many a "famous" and "great" fighter has offered a rationalization or excuse for an unexpected loss. In the end, you hear everybody's sob story and chose to believe what you will. I believe the Gurgel's knee severely impacted his fighting skill. I believe that a healthy Gurgel could beat a healthy Jason. I believe that Gurgel fighting at 155 in the UFC would prove to be a more entertaining and successful fighter than Jason could be at 170. It doesn't really matter, all of the guys from the first shpw have gotten to fight in the UFC by now. Time will tell who has the better run. Barring the knee injury being permanent, I think Gurgel will have his day.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Unofficial 'Ultimate Fighter' thread...

So, I'm thinking this season is pretty f'ed up, and cool at the same time.

Who let Gabe on to that show, he was only there for an Emmy.

I'm rooting for Nate Diaz.

and Cory Hill?!?

Thoughts???
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I haven't been able to watch a whole episode this season.

At some point, I noticed that EVERY ONE of those guys is wearing an oversized UFC jersey, and insists on having their hats on either backwards, or sideways, or crooked. Obviously they're being told how to wear the gear, and for some reason it ****es me off.

Now every time I try to watch it, as soon as I see a crooked hat, I have to change the channel.

I do the same thing with CSI Miami whenever David Caruso pauses halfway through a sentence to take off his sunglasses.

I hate TUF. It's made so many idiots become fans of mma. It's obviously the furthest thing from reality (the fights are about the only thing that are real).
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I hate TUF. It's made so many idiots become fans of mma. It's obviously the furthest thing from reality (the fights are about the only thing that are real).

Just like 'Mind of Mencia' has made idiots become fans of comedy?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    Just like 'Mind of Mencia' has made idiots become fans of comedy?
    Those're just the transfers from Chappelle's show.

Ontopic, not really enjoying this season so far. I don't know if it's the weightclass or the ages, but most of these guys seem to enjoy talking shyte more then actually doing anything. Props to the one guy though for lasting so long from a horrible back position.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Animals1Path View Post
    I don't know if it's the weightclass or the ages, but most of these guys seem to enjoy talking shyte more then actually doing anything.

Yeah, some of them are the 'smaller the man, the bigger the talk' kind, but there are some good fighters on the show.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The Ultimate Fighter

Didn't see a thread about this anywhere. Oh well, too bad if one already existed.

Those in the states know about this show and most importantly that tonight 6/21/08) is the live Season 7 finale. Fighting for a contract with the UFC is Amir Sodallah from Team Forrest and CB Dollaway from Team Rampage.

Anyone follow this past season? What do people think of the show in general.

The last episode was a doozey...
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I can't stand this show. It was neat at first but now I just find it annoying and pointless.

I like their countdown shows though, those are pretty cool.
    A unique snowflake

That's cool. I really didn't like when it first came out. Then I studied some grappling and understand about some of the concepts. The show is an obvious plug that seems to have worked.

I don't really keep up myself but I check in from time to time. Some of the people are just idiots. But some of them know how to fight and that is what counts (for this show...in real life a different story).

Tonight's highlights in my opinioin...Diego Sanchez' win was nice. Probably the best fight of the night in my opinion. In other fights, a lot of open areas that weren't attacked. But Diego was like a bull and kept at it.

Of course, underdog Amir takes it for the contract. I was rooting for this guy. They had nothing to say about him except that he had a lot of heart...prob because CB Dollaway was already picked the winner in people's minds. Nice arm bar (for the second time to the same opponent).

The stand up fighting is not why I watch. The form is bad...arms never stay up to guard, wild punches (haymakers and supermans). The ground techniques are what I find interesting about this show It is probably the main reason I watch.

I think Quinton has some kind of speech impediment. I had trouble understanding his commentaries...was I the only one?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura