Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I personally, would never want that to happen. What if my method completely goes against whatthe "authority" is preaching?
    Differences in teaching methods, to me, is not the issue. Differences related to growth are a good thing.

I'm thinking more of a general code of conduct that we can all relate to. Having similar goals is something I believe most of us already share, if not all.

How can we make Wig Chun a nationally recognized activitiy?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I think that only "sport oriented" systems need something like this, outside that, MA are better left for smaller study groups and things like that.
    The MA were never for the masses anyways.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think that only "sport oriented" systems need something like this, outside that, MA are better left for smaller study groups and things like that.
    The MA were never for the masses anyways.
    Good point, but at some time or another after years of dedication and training we all must feel that recognition would be good for us and our students.

How would a practitioner within a smaller group be recognized in a more traditional fashion without entering the sporting domain?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

How would a practitioner within a smaller group be recognized in a more traditional fashion without entering the sporting domain?
    By all the heads of his vanquished enemies, proudly displayed in his wine cellar.

To be recognized by the police is a different issue...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

To be recognized by the police is a different issue...
    Picky, picky...
    You said traditional...

So I did.

Better get chopping then?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Set up a school in the ghetto and proudly display a load of money on the table. If you can protect that stash day in and day out without guns or cops, you are sorted.

What is a "more traditional fashion"? What kind of recognition are you talking about? For what purpose? If you want recognition, open a martial arts school and do good work for the community. Keep the kids off the street and teach them discipline and respect. Then recognition will come that actually has some value. But that's independant of any specific art or system.

this seams to be a problem with all organizations. The main thing is, most have to change things to make it more sell-able to keep money coming in. I know at my school is was a struggle to get most people to understand that doing things a hundred times is better then learning a hundred things you cant really do.
    Nearly all organizations split over internal problems, even the VTAA in hong kong broke up for a while there.
    The main problem now is that without some sort of association, insurance in my country is heaps more expensive. By joining certain groups this can lower the bill and make it easier to get.

I think Ten tigers smashed it out of the ball park.

History has shown its a difficult task IMO. Even if you do implement this idea from the start of a lineage style etc.

Even in the days when we actually had a 'head' of a lineage (GM Ip) from what ive been told of my Sifus experiences, things got out of hand and began to segment leading to things falling aprt.

A few examples -

Towards the end of his life GM Ip was overridden and had his opinions and standards changed (better or worse, i offer no opinion) by others that took over control of the org/school.

My sifu found him crying one time because people were not respecting his opinion on who would represent them in a compition....

As far as standards go - I was also told about a discussion over Yum Cha where LS TST LY and WSL were discussing with Gm Ip how long SLT should take to preform. Everyone had a differnt answer and GM IP wouldnt say one way or the other so as to not to offend those that were not (percieved as being) right.

later things fell apart, people went thier own way....

Look at the more modern examples also... LT's org splintering, others changing due to politics (so ive heard)..

So history shows IMHO that its not that bennificial to have an overall governing body for the art of Wing Chun and in reality it only serves the few that have controll therefore opinoin with weight.

Thats my cynical view LOL.

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 06-16-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Basically, who's who in the Wing Chun world? Who has 'authority'?
    Either anyone that starts an organisation or no one or somewhere in between, depending on your opinion.

Are there any official 'governing bodies' in the USA or UK? If not, why not? If so, please share a link!
    I don't believe so, and in any case being Australian I have no interest in what happens in such backwaters

Does everybody rely on a connection or two to Hong Kong or the mainland?
    I guess so, but since my instructor broke away from his, its something of a moot point.

If so, are any of these 'associations' linked or supported by the Peoples Republic of China?
    Why would anyone care (other than the Chinese, I guess)?

Has your school received any 'formal recognition' for your work?
    Other than regular features in MA rags, not really. We are accredited by the government to teach full time students with certain financial benefits and tax breaks. To do that we had to achieve MA industry certification (which becomes the same argument on a wider scale). There is a Federation of Australian Kung Fu and Wu Shu organisations. We are not part of that (due, IIRC to longstanding feud and power struggles between my teacher's teacher and its president, SNAFU). That organisation relies a lot on Wu Shu, the sport, for its profile and cohesiveness.

A BJJ school I attended for a while won a local small business award. Not MA exceelence perhaps (though they were pretty good at that too) but it least it shows they can run a successful business their customers and the community like.

I got involved in a long argument on here about certification before that I don't care to revisit. Basically, though, we've affiliated with a number of high profile karateka (karate iare not ideal organisation wise but IMO are much better organised than WC, not that that's a big ask) in an MA umbrella organisation, which certifies coaches to a number of levels set down by the State and Federal governments here. If you have a certified coach, your prospective know they are going to be taught by someone who has a basic understanding of first aid, OH&S, and general principles of fitness, sports training and injury prevention.

You don't have to do this to teach martial arts - any unqualified moron can do that, and maybe too many do, YMMV. However, you do need affiliation with a recognised body like the afore mentiond KungFu-WuShu body to be able to run classes in schools or other government-owned premises. We've never run classes at such places.

WC won't get organised until some of its senior practitioners lose their egos and recognise they're living in the 21st century global village and not feudal China.

Even then, the general public and givernment see us as just another flavour or multifaceted martial arts and have no interest in the distinctions between one KF style and another.

IMO, if you want to be recognised, cultivate your peer martial artists outside WC and organise with them. That way you don't have to deal with the internicine struggles which plague WC.
    Last edited by anerlich; 06-16-2008 at 08:09 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!