Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't do Medium contact!

I can't do Medium contact!

I just can't figure out the mental aspect.

Light contact I have down. I have the sensitivity and control necessary to throw a real technique and just touch.

Full contact I understand.

Medium contact escapes me. What am I trying to accomplish and with in what limits? It’s training more that competition, so I’m not trying to win, right? And I don’t want to injury my training partner, right? But it’s ok to cause physical pain? So I’m trying to hurt them, but not injure them? How do I accomplish that? I am so confused.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

You need to learn some new forms.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I don't like medium contact either. I prefer the feedback of full-contact where if I screw up I FEEL it.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I can spread butter on a delicate cracker, and I can cut through a tough steak. I can also stab. Same hand, same knife. What's the problem?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I do admit, I still tend to break a Ritz from time to time, though.

Medium, or hard if you refer, is hitting hard enough to get an honest reaction but NOT trying to take the guy out.
    Its the level that sparring is typically done.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL! Wow- Seriously LOL- I almost pee'd myself.

Medium contact as a tournament format is absolute BS.
    The rules are a total gray area and the judges at the ring tend to make up their own anyway.
    The equipment is non-standard.
    I competed & worked tournaments for years and saw more injuries in each individual "medium contact ring" than I did in any full contact event in terms of broken noses, cuts, and even the odd KO.
    Medium contact boils down to "who gets off the hardest shot first, without blatantly breaking the rules".

I've probably told this story before, but was competing at a tourney in PA.
    Wing chun guys show up wearing mma gloves & kuoshu masks.
    I'm wearing your typical cobra glove/karate chop - viny-covered (not foam dipped) and open face headguard.
    Keep the wing chun guy off with kicks & scoring pretty well but he keeps bull rushing me out of the ring.

Ring judge (and guy running the tourney) decides "let's start them in bridge"!
    If it isn't clear, let me spell it out - southern long fist guy forced to start in bridge with a southern short hand stylist; talk about unfair...

WC guy proceeds to grab my generously padded cobra glove by the wrist strap & pull me into a chain punch combo to the face, cutting my lip open.
    I pop him right on his face guard (he's wearing a mask) and *I* get yelled at for excessive contact; think I even got a point deducted.
    Round ends; I leave the ring without saying anything, don't think I even bowed (sifu was ticked).

Afterwards, guy comes over to shake my hand and I tell him to get the F* away from me.
    Poor sportsmanship on my part, granted; but I've never put myself to do continuous sparring in a tournament again.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

That is crooked judging.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Light contact is for beginners and not experienced martial artists. I find very few skills carry over from light contact to anything else.
    Medium is for the bulk of training so as to not get injured but still throw shots that hurt you.
    Full contact is for occassional testing and fight prep but I personally cut it out 2-3 weeks beforehand. This is the only format that I think is worth competing in. No BS, no gray area...no nonsense. Just straight whoop.
    A unique snowflake

It's not for tournament purposes, but for MMA/SanDa class.

My sifu says I have to hit people harder. So, I guess I will and If I cross the line at least then I'll know where it is.

The other thing is most of the guys aren't really at my level so I don't press my advantages so much. I try to give them I chance to pick things up. Like I'll float my kicks a little to let them at least defend themselves if not catch them.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    M kuoshu masks
    Is a Kuoshu mask the type that looks somewhat like a fencing mask?

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Is a Kuoshu mask the type that looks somewhat like a fencing mask?
    I mean this one:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...HL._AA280_.jpg
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL, That's great.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Ah. Not very realistic, is it?