Thread: new shuai jiao training video beijing

new shuai jiao training video beijing

A new video of the tian qi shuai jiao school i've been training at in beijing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEL4N3L_VU

Excellent!

Wow, plyometrics with kicks.

Talk about hybridizing, it probably works the body well.

thanks guys.

Thumbs up

That is one style I'd like to learn. I do enjoy watching SJ. Good Clip.

didn't say this before...

but this clip is a good example of cross training. How, after time, techniques that work are incorporated into other systems. 52 seconds- that guys doing text book judo tai otoshi. A little past that- guy in the back left of the frame ippon sei-nage. I know- you'll all go into how SJ is the mother and all- I'd agree, BUT- look at the text book Kazushi--- I know that I read somewhere that that's where you'd see the difference between Judo and SJ- Judo stresses a very formalized system of gripping and entering a throw i.e. Kazushi--- SJ's was supposed to be different. They're using Judo Kazushi- and I'd say they are using Judo Tai-otoshi and Ippon Sei-Nage.

Some of the throws are almost identical that is true. But the Kazushi in Shuai Jiao and grip work are very different. It might be hard to tell from this clip but they are. I got a yellow belt in judo right before i left to Beijing.

In my oppion the Judo Kazushi is more scientific. Shuai Jiao is more based on strenght and has a little techneque. It basicly just start yanking the guy in a general direction.

The grip work of Shuai Jiao i very complex. It seem more important in Shuai Jiao than in Judo. Maybe because of the short sleve jackets. In the short sleve jacket if some one gets a better grip and starts yanking you forcefully it's hard to defend.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 06-14-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Shuai chiao has always had a throw that looks like Tia otoshi as have many other styles of kung fu, for example that throw is one of the applications of the dai ma hung choy in praying mantis. In this video the same side grip being used is much more indicative of Beijing shuai chiao than the classic judo tai otoshi.

I also disagree that shuai chiao is strength oriented. It might be hard to be as subtle as some judo players are mainly due to the different grips being used but the throws are still based on leverage and using your opponents weakest angle against him.

It's true that there is a lot of cross training these days and most people have either done both, trained with some one who's done both or competed against some one who has done both. If your any good you're going to pick up on what your opponent is doing against you and you might like some of the techniques and try them. As someone who has done shuai chiao since the mid 70's and judo at a couple of different points, back in the early 90's for a couple of years and recently for the last couple of years I have seen both arts do things that I never used to see them do but saw the opposite art do quite frequently.