Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Pole

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I have my of my student Sifu Ryan Kennedy from Toronto doing the form that I'm going to put on my website soon.
    That will be good to see Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATeDTE8zUc

...The pole form... The Late GM WSL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgT_5iOIVFA

....the pole in action.... one strike is all it takes. very accurate for such a long weapon

you can 'tag' inch size 'x' on a board over 9ft away ...
    Great clips too Kev.

Are there any more of WSL that highlight more of the 'form', or is that what you refer to as the pole form? IMHO it does seem very incomplete.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

The Pole

Decent video Ed from 'Windy City' made about some important basic principles involving the pole in regards to using the body, not hands. Non-lineage specific so let's try not to get into a **** measuring contest here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2of...e_gdata_player

I always like to see people exchange ideas about the Wing Chun pole, but I have to say something about this clip because it is a very good example of Ip Mans idea. There is no 'form' it's just sets of exercises

Yes, that's true. But this is not the whole truth about the pole at all.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I always like to see people exchange ideas about the Wing Chun pole, but I have to say something about this clip because it is a very good example of Ip Mans idea. There is no 'form' it's just sets of exercises

Yes, that's true. But this is not the whole truth about the pole at all.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is the whole truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    What is the whole truth?
    It is nothing but the truth Joy

Something I fear has been missing for some time with regards to our Weaponry practises.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Lee Shing Family Pole Methods

As an example, I ask if anyone uses methods like this where empty hand and weaponry sets are connected to broaden our understanding:

"I finished the day by sharing a simple pole technique that helps to understand our arrow fist set, something that is unique to the Lee Shing family of Wing Chun. By using the first set of the pole form we connect salutation methods into fierce attacking movements that penetrate the straight lines into an opponent, taking them down to the floor using phoenix eyes and hanging elbows and fists!"

Taken from my article here
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...2&postcount=67
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    It is nothing but the truth Joy

Something I fear has been missing for some time with regards to our Weaponry practises.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't follow- but then I am not a Lee Sing guy.

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Decent video Ed from 'Windy City' made about some important basic principles involving the pole in regards to using the body, not hands. Non-lineage specific so let's try not to get into a **** measuring contest here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2of...e_gdata_player

Thanks for posting interesting to be able to see another pole idea...

Pole Form

I am yet to learn the pole form... but this got me thinking. Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun lineage, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uozp2...layer_embedded
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

I am yet to learn the pole form..
    What!???

How long have you been training?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    What!??? How long have you been training?
    Two weeks and 3 days. Why? Should I have started sooner?

In the Leung Ting WT method, coming up to 4 years. Before that, in Wing Chun (Yip Chun lineage, loosely, i.e. Kevin Chan), a couple of years in the UK.

But lots of time in martial arts generally. In between my two Chun lineages: a few years of internal stuff, some occasional training in Japanese materials (I have many friends who have been training in Japanese arts for decades), some South East Asian stuff, purely via friends from Malaysia and Indonesia. And, of course, some Thai Boxing when I lived in Bangkok, but that was when I was fresh out of Uni (centuries ago). No BJJ, though I have now have access to some good people... I just don't have access to any time. LOL.

So yes, no WT pole form for me, though I have started basic pole exercises and development stuff.

But no rush. Though I find it fascinating. Post up a clip of your pole form!

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Two weeks and 3 days. Why? Should I have started sooner?

In the Leung Ting WT method, coming up to 4 years. Before that, in Wing Chun (Yip Chun lineage, loosely, i.e. Kevin Chan), a couple of years in the UK.

But lots of time in martial arts generally. In between my two Chun lineages: a few years of internal stuff, some occasional training in Japanese materials (I have many friends who have been training in Japanese arts for decades), some South East Asian stuff, purely via friends from Malaysia and Indonesia. And, of course, some Thai Boxing when I lived in Bangkok, but that was when I was fresh out of Uni (centuries ago). No BJJ, though I have now have access to some good people... I just don't have access to any time. LOL.

So yes, no WT pole form for me, though I have started basic pole exercises and development stuff.

But no rush. Though I find it fascinating. Post up a clip of your pole form!
    Dude I didn't want your life story.

If you have been training Wing Chun for 4 years and havent learnt any pole then something is wrong. Mind you saying that I never learnt it in the Ip Chun lineage. It was only for tradition. No sparring

Dude I didn't want your life story.
    Of course you did. In this lovers' tiff you need ammunition to throw back at me.

If you have been training Wing Chun for 4 years and havent learnt any pole then something is wrong. Mind you saying that I never learnt it in the Ip Chun lineage. It was only for tradition. No sparring
    Wing Tsun, not Wing Chun, for 4 years. How dare you!

The time has really flown by, and there is a lot to be training and developing (you know, the wheats not in your PB bagel - see other thread) - so like I said, no rush to be learning the pole or the knives just yet.

Though at 39, time is maybe not on my side

What!???

How long have you been training?
    I didn't learn the pole form for a very long time. Drills and exercises, sure, but not the form or chi-kwun training until after I left LT. Actually that was a good thing. The guy that taught me is very good and didn't charge me an arm and a leg like LT would have.

I personally believe the pole form should be taught earlier and to more people, so it could be included in standard training with a variety of partners.

So when are the pole techniques taught in the PB/WSL system?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Actually that was a good thing. The guy that taught me is very good and didn't charge me an arm and a leg like LT would have.
    Oh what's this? That other LT guy said LT charged respectable prices

I personally believe the pole form should be taught earlier and to more people, so it could be included in standard training with a variety of partners.

So when are the pole techniques taught in the PB/WSL system?
    It depends on the student.