Thread: The Pole

Hybrid View

Phil and Andrew N

I know Phil. Wing chun is a diverse world.

Andrew- Of course - depends on how one counts. Not being coy atleast not intentionally.

But if you look at some possible basic strikes -not pure "blocks"( the kuit on the kwan:not more than one sound) there can be many more than
    6 strikes.
    For starters-
    Top of the head, center of the forehead, wind pipe cavity, chest, solar plexus, dan tien, groin, both sides- temple, sides of the neck, hands, elbows, knees, ankles. shoulders, colar bone indentation etc. Too many "points"---that is why I am skeptical of the name coming from 6 1/2 strike points. Each strike would involve different manipulations of the pole.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    I know Phil. Wing chun is a diverse world.

Andrew- Of course - depends on how one counts. Not being coy atleast not intentionally.

But if you look at some possible basic strikes -not pure "blocks"( the kuit on the kwan:not more than one sound) there can be many more than
    6 strikes.
    For starters-
    Top of the head, center of the forehead, wind pipe cavity, chest, solar plexus, dan tien, groin, both sides- temple, sides of the neck, hands, elbows, knees, ankles. shoulders, colar bone indentation etc. Too many "points"---that is why I am skeptical of the name coming from 6 1/2 strike points. Each strike would involve different manipulations of the pole.

joy chaudhuri
    Hi Joy, according to some WC lineages the 6 1/2 strikes are the motions used which can strike various targets. Not the "many" target areas themselves. There are clearly 6 distinct strikes to cause damage. The half strike is another thing.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Words from an Wing Chun non-expert

The pole form according to Wong Seung Leung and Tsui Seung Tin line:

The first six moves are for striking. The seventh (Lau Sui, or Running Water) is for redirection. Hence six and a half point.

I've seen students of both Wong and Tsui doing the pole. Similar moves, different flavour.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Anyone ever think it was related to the length of the "traditional" pole ?
    (Meaning the one most commonly used....)

Although these days it wouldnt relate exactly to 6 1/2 of anything as there are many different measuring units....

This is the idea of what was passed to me ...

Lok Yiu - Yau Soong Ying - DREW

Anyone know what the common measuring unit is in China and how long its been used...or what it once was..... ?
    Last edited by Liddel; 10-15-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98