Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin toilets

Hybrid View

Shaolin toilets

For anyone who used the toilets in Shaolin Temple, I'm sure they'll agree. This is a good thing.

Shaolin Temple installs luxury restrooms
    Addition to famed tourist draw cost $430,000, state media reports
    updated 9:19 a.m. PT, Tues., April. 8, 2008

BEIJING - The simple life of monks at China's famed Shaolin Temple got an upgrade with the installation of luxury restrooms worth 3 million yuan ($430,000 U.S. dollars), state media reported Tuesday.

The official Xinhua News Agency said the most lavish of the restrooms measures more than 150 square meters (1,614 square feet) and is equipped with a diaper changing station for infants, uniformed cleaners and a foyer with an LCD television. The toilets also provide easy access for the disabled and have Braille signs for the blind.

The restrooms, which are free of charge for both monks and tourists, opened earlier this month, the report said.

"The toilets aim to better serve tourists from both home and abroad," Xinhua quoted local government official Zhang Zhongqiang as saying.

Established about 1,500 years ago, the Shaolin Temple, located in central China's Henan province, is famous for combining martial arts with Buddhism and is a popular tourist attraction.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's good to hear. The one they had at the restaurant near the Wushu Guan was... well... a **** hole... plus now they're not charging!!! Bonus on that.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    For anyone who used the toilets in Shaolin Temple, I'm sure they'll agree. This is a good thing.
    somehow I doubt this will cut down on the sale of newspapers though...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh what great character building trials that one is subjected to when in Shaolin.

The final test is to over come the toilets then enlightenment is all yours!

Ha! Sean, what I recalled, besides being charged to go in there, was the odor.
    Then there was the one at Chen Village by the resturaunt! As I was walking to it, everyone walking out was laughing. It had no stalls and the toilets were the urinal on the floor looking thing out there in front of everyone. Herman was squated down trying to hold onto his cloths and his self respect at the same time.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    Ha! Sean, what I recalled, besides being charged to go in there, was the odor.
    Then there was the one at Chen Village by the resturaunt! As I was walking to it, everyone walking out was laughing. It had no stalls and the toilets were the urinal on the floor looking thing out there in front of everyone. Herman was squated down trying to hold onto his cloths and his self respect at the same time.
    Eeeewwwww... Wen Xian... remember that one & the one in Chen Village at the old school. Oh gawd...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

geez, it sounds like some of you haven't been camping or something. lol

are we all porcelain spoiled softies?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shaolin Toilets

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...?se=yahoorefer

Is it just me or does this seem...odd?
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

it doesn't suprise me

the shaolin temple is a tourist attraction im afraid. they have rebuilt the temple many times and then make it look old
    its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

that's pretty sad. But seriously, 430,000.......on some (rappers? that's just insane
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

i was there two weeks ago showing some friends around and i didnt see any toilets
    its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

Quote Originally Posted by Mook Jong View Post
    that's pretty sad. But seriously, 430,000.......on some (rappers? that's just insane
    really? do you know what it costs just for materials to set up indoor plumbing?

It's not that outrageous depending on the facility. You might be surprised at what stuff costs. I bet that same set up in a new york mall would be comparably priced if not scads more.

I sentence you to 2 days study at a home depot and you can't get contractor rates either! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

about time, i have heard stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

so, not sure if anyone else has had a chance to go there since the installation.

but its pretty awesome. off the sidewalk between the temple and the pagoda forest.

you get your choice of chinese squatter or western throne. there is also a handicap toilet. and they all have doors you can lock. the urinals flush themselves. and its fully equipped with hand soap dispensers, and your choice of paper towel dispenser or hot air hand dryer. you dont need to bring your own newspaper for wiping and its actually clean!

i enjoyed it.