Yes, post the link please, I collect that kind of data.

I think the Tai Chi Symposium will be annual.

In general these studies show benefits in varying degrees. Interestingly, data has show that the physical body can improve and range of motion can increase and immunity can be restored even at advanced age.

There are many, many of the studies being done now through the NIH and its really starting to happen now. Newsflash! Exercising and relaxing is good for you!

I haven't seen a study that weighs qigong against jogging or somesuch, but I agree with your point. ANY kind of activity can be a type of qigong, or moving meditation. That's kind of the point of practicing qigong: it becomes you. After a while of regular practice, you can't help but be mindful of your alignment when climbing stairs, or how you're breathing while you drive, or how you internalize negative stressors...until you are practicing all day every day.

I think its clear that Taijiquan in all its martial glory is alive and well and there is a revived, growing internal arts community. But a simplified, short taiji or qigong form serves an entirely different purpose, and there's no need for it to be tremendously accurate to a certain lineage. A short form is a useful tool for getting people to turn attention inward and take responsibility for their own health physically, energetically, etc.

In fact, a single exercise like 'Embrace the Tree' can serve that purpose. Its got everything inside: alignment, four/five gates breathing, abdominal breathing, interaction with the earth and heavens...

But of course, people need to move their bodies too...

(said the person sitting in a c0mput3r chair...)