Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: rare hfy clip

Hello
    I for one don't speak portuguese so can't comment on the commentary or the context of the interview, so unless KPM is fluent in the aforementioned language, to state that HFY are deceiving the public in Brazil could well be taken as an inflamatory remark.

I do know that Alex Magnos is a member of the HFY family, but knowing that he comes from a Yip Man background and is certified to teach, who here is to say what material he may or may not present to the public ? or to what extent he had control over the TV presentation.

Obviously the Bruce Lee stuff is not HFY, nor the wooden dummy (looks like the opening of YM dummy). As Savi stated at about 1.30 looks like a part of HFY SNT form without the detail expected from students with exposure to the formula. So looking at that part only, from the perspective of the four big seals I can recognize some of it as HFYSNT.

ATB
    Mark

Guys,

The TV clip from our school in Brazil was already explained. Sifu Alex Magnos is just teaching the best he can while he himself is learning HFY and transitioning from his prior YM program.

As for no secrets in KF in the 21st century?? Ha! That's a joke. I guarantee you that every single WC school has their own "insider" knowledge. No big deal.

However, this is not the case in this instance.

Beginning students are discouraged from making videos for the public simply because from this point in their learning... what would documented ultimately is a video full of structure/space distortions and lack of true HFY body karma/awareness.

Our concern is that these incorrect documents would then be past down and transfered to other students. Bringing in self-interpretations into the system and before you know it, the true identity is lost.

We base our system learning on what we call Hou Chun San Sau. Direct learning... therefore much less personal misinterpretations can be had, and when they do, they are corrected first hand.

Due to popular demand .... we plan to make legitimate HFY videos direct from our HQ in SF under the guidence of our GM. But until then, don't expect to see any video's from our members.

Best to all, and good luck with the training!

PS... on another note. TV in Latin America sensationalizes EVERYTHING. That's just how their TV culture is. It would be wise to take this into consideration upon viewing the news clip.
    Last edited by duende; 03-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.

what a crock !

Thanks Savi that was quite simple and to the point.

If Mr 8 posts hhe, actually said something to that effect in the first place we could have avoided all this B S.

HFY is written on the baseline key in the interview etc (the on screen Graphic at the bottom)

Ever see a Car commercial where they have a baseline key saying "overseas model shown". Perhaps they should have put a "Ip Man VT shown" key at the bottom of this clip

PS... on another note. TV in Latin America sensationalizes EVERYTHING. That's just how their TV culture is.
    Duende, you obviously dont watch FOX NEWS. LOL
    Last edited by Sihing73; 03-24-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

I see few sincere efforts to help "understanding" - which lead to the accusations of secrecy, though there is little evidence that anything unique lies beneath the veils.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 03-24-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post

Duende, you obviously dont watch FOX NEWS. LOL

Touche'

Actually I try to not have any TV in the house whatsoever. But somehow, with every new season of "Project Runway" my girlfriend manages to drag one in!

I'm happy with watching Battlestar Galactica DVD's on my computer.
    Last edited by duende; 03-23-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Keith, I fail to see any deception. As Savi stated, they are doing a version of HFY SNT in the background. Yes, it does lack certain technical things, but Alex Magnos is most certainly a HFY guy.

As a rule, we as a family don't do videos. Sifu Magnos was granted an exception to promote his school. Trying to keep the HFY shown to a minimum is not deceiving in any way.

Let's say you're watching a news clip about a new Jaguar dealership in town. 80% of the video footage is of people driving around in all kinds of cars, none of which are Jaguars. But that's ok, because you realize that its just filler as the news person talks about the background of the Jaguar company. But now let's say the footage cuts to an interview with the owner of the new dealership. He is obviously talking about Jaguars, but you notice that the car parked in the background is a Cadillac with a Jaguar hood ornament. Wouldn't you be wondering what's going on? Wouldn't you see that as a bit deceptive? Now let's say you asked about this and were told that the Jaguar Headquarters won't allow that dealer to film any of its cars. Wouldn't you be wondering what's up at Jaguar HQ? Why would someone do a promotional spot for their new service or product, and then purposely show the public that they are promoting it too something that is not the actual product they are selling? Whether intentional or not, that seems to me to be a little deceptive.

Here is a post from a student under Sifu Alex Magnos:
    Hello everybody,

My name is Cesar and i live in Aracaju, Sergipe - Brazil. I am one of sifu Alex Magnos' s students here. I was present in Aracaju when this video by TV Sergipe was made. In fact, in my personal opinion, the final edition and report presented by this network was a fiasco. They totally misinterpreted the information not only about Bruce Lee, but also about Anderson Barreto, who is not a HFY teacher in Brazil.

It seems they are very slow to understand about families and other points concerning Kung fu. So when it comes to kung fu, many people here tend to think of Bruce Lee only and that's the reason why he was present on the report.

So again, Anderson Barreto is not a HFY teacher, and this and all the other mistakes, including Bruce Lee's participation, come from the TV network only.

Best wishes, Cesar A.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

wow, thanx for the info guys and the general level of respect. I hope the instuctor in the clip is not offended by the criticisms of his students training. they seem to have come from hfy guys anyway though. Hopefully more will be shared in the future so that hfy can be recognised for whatever is unique to them. experience can only make us all better students. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Savi View Post
    Here is a post from a student under Sifu Alex Magnos:
    Thanks for the input Savi. It sounds like even the guys in Brazil would view that clip as deceptive and inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by hhe View Post
    Keith, your attack on HFY is very deceptive.
    I'm not attacking anyone. But what does urk me is the secrecy surrounding HFY. Its an out-dated attitude in modern society. This clip was rather deceptive in how it portrayed HFY. I thought that was obvious. I think others did too. But some of the HFY faithful didn't think so. So I had to point out the obvious. If you see that as an attack on HFY, then I apologize. That is not what I intended. And besides, if you want to talk about attacks, YOU were the one that called ME an ahole!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I'm not attacking anyone. But what does urk me is the secrecy surrounding HFY. Its an out-dated attitude in modern society. This clip was rather deceptive in how it portrayed HFY. I thought that was obvious. I think others did too. But some of the HFY faithful didn't think so. So I had to point out the obvious. If you see that as an attack on HFY, then I apologize. That is not what I intended. And besides, if you want to talk about attacks, YOU were the one that called ME an ahole!
    Keith and others that think there is some secrecy to HFY... not showing video of them does not equate to secrecy. I'm fortunate enough to live near a HFY club so I could go check them out first hand. I realize that many others don't have the same situation as I and you may be frustrated that they don't have video for you to evaluate. Still this is not secrecy.

All I did to see HFY was give a call and show up to class. I've seen invitations extended right here on this forum but some people haven't taken the HFY guys up on the invite.

They generally don't believe in video because they feel much is lost when their system is communicated that way. Big deal. That does not mean they are secretive.

edited to add this...

My name is Tony Myers and I live in Kansas City. Don't want to be thought of as posting anonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    . . . I've seen invitations extended right here on this forum but some people haven't taken the HFY guys up on the invite. . .
    Hi Tony, a student of mine was invited but when I offered to accept an invitation I got no response as of yet.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Hi Tony, a student of mine was invited but when I offered to accept an invitation I got no response as of yet.
    PR
    haha - not really trying to drag this thread down any further, but Phil, are you implying that you are awaiting a formal, personal invite to come see HFY for yourself? That's a bit much don't you think? You 'offered to accept an invitation'?? why not just go see what it's about for yourself? Now you feel people need special invites from HFY?
    C'mon man, you lived in Detroit for some time, and there was a workshop just 4 hours or so drive to ohio every year for the past what, 8-9 years? You could have made the trip and seen for yourself if you were really interested. But now you're waiting for your personal invite...

Looks guys, it's really not that big a deal - like Tony said, all someone has to do is stop in at one of the kwoons/clubs. Or, go to one of the many public workshops that happen each year all over the country (california, arizona, texas, ohio, new york, etc)
    Nothing secret about anything.

Jonathan

** edit - thanks Tbone for your honesty
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 03-25-2008 at 03:37 PM.

They generally don't believe in video because they feel much is lost when their system is communicated that way. Big deal. That does not mean they are secretive.
    I don't regard an organisation that put a 222 page book as "secretive".

I think the issue many have with HFY are that they make claims about their system, some of which border on the grandiose, but are unwilling to properly answer the many legit questions begged by those claims. There are terms for such behaviour - marketing, propaganda, etc.

I live in Australia. I could pay large amounts of money to go visit, but a cost benefit analysis indicates my best course of events is to make a judgement call on the veracity of available info. Which I have.

The last TWC guy mentioned on this forum that went to an HFY kwoon didn't have a particularly positive experience, IIRC.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Keith and others that think there is some secrecy to HFY... not showing video of them does not equate to secrecy.
    Hey Tony!

Video is just a small part of it. Stick around, you'll see. Or go back and do a search in the forum for past threads concerning HFY. But Andrew is right, maybe "secrecy" is not exactly the right word for it. Maybe "obscuration" is a better word? Let's just say "not very forthcoming" and leave it at that.