Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yip Man's Newphew

Yip Man's Newphew

I have just started studying Wing Chun here in Taiwan with Yip Man's newphew, Lo Man Kam. I have been reading a lot of these threads and no one seems to mention him. I am curious as to why or why not.

Here are some FACTS that I have learned so far.

-What I know so far is that Lo Man Kam is one of the first 3 students of Yip man and the only one living now.
    -He started training 10 years before Yip man's sons
    -He was an assistant instructor under Yip man and also taught Bruce Lee when he came to Yip man in the mid 1950s.
    -He has been training various governemt military forces around the world.
    -He has not stopped training since he was sent to Taiwan by Yip man to continue Wing Chun in Taiwan.

Is this LIVING MASTER of Wing Chun not known outside of asia?

Quote Originally Posted by taiwan8me View Post
    I have just started studying Wing Chun here in Taiwan with Yip Man's newphew, Lo Man Kam. I have been reading a lot of these threads and no one seems to mention him. I am curious as to why or why not.

-What I know so far is that Lo Man Kam is one of the first 3 students of Yip man and the only one living now.
    -He was an assistant instructor under Yip man and also taught Bruce Lee when he came to Yip man in the mid 1950s.
    -He has not stopped training since he was sent to Taiwan by Yip man to continue Wing Chun in Taiwan.

He is well known in Wing Chun circles. Not everyone from every lineage posts, but we have quite the spread:
    Gu Lao
    Moy Yat
    Leung Ting
    Emin Bozetepe
    Wong Shun Leung
    William Cheung
    Garrett Gee
    Augustine Fong
    Etc...

(If I've missed anyone - SORRY!!!)

So, welcome to the forum. The more the merrier (not always the case, but it IS wishful thinking with all the politics!) Contribute what you can as I can see that you have a lot of time and effort dedicated to your family's Wing Chun!

All the best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I know of Lo Man Kam and have a lot of respect for him. His son Gordon was living here in the US for awhile. Don't know if he still is or not. But like Kenton said, probably the only reason he isn't mentioned more is that his students aren't members of this forum. Please feel free to share some specifics from the Lo Man Kam lineage with us! I'd love to hear more from Duncan Leung students as well. But we can't twist their arms and make them post on our humble little forum!

Not taking away from Lo Man Kam's achievements but I read that Leung Sheung, Lok Yiu and Chu Shong-Tin were the first three HK students to join Si-Fu Yip Man from his time at the Ancestor's temple.

Wiki says that Chu Shong-Tin is still with us and hopefully for many many more years.

Cheers,
    Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQzfA1gmxQ

A video says more than a 1000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post

... and it all gets said when the man steps in at 15-20 seconds.

Youre right Chris

Sorry about the mistake everyone. I have not personally talked to Shr Fu Lo about who were the first students of Yip man, ( He speaks English, but I don't feel it is really appropriate for me to ask as I am still new to his school. )

About my source of the lineage information, I later did some checking and I found a site that seems pretty encompassing with its coverage and it confirms what you said about the first few students. I will make sure I do some more cross ref. to make sure I get my "FACTS" straight! lol

Here is the site
    http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...n=WCP.Lineages

Cheers, and thank you for the welcome!!

WingChun4ver!!

Hey there and welcome!

Don't let it worry you. Everyone loves their sifu and loves to see their sifu acknowledged and loved by others. Only natural. And everyone thinks their sifu is the bee's knees, Yip Man's nephew or son or first or last or super special, or Sum Nung's son or uncle or teacher's son, or best technician or fighter or whatever, or inside the Fung family, or inheritor of the Cho legacy, and it goes on and on.

And hey, maybe there's a little ancient man in Chinatown repairing bikes who never says a word but was the last student of 400 year old Ng Mui?

The internet is the biggest sea there is, and even the largest blue whale has plenty of room to swim around.

Best to just read, share, exchange, learn, relax, and ride them waves.

Welcome

Welcome, and don't take internet words too seriously. The important thing is your training and willingness to keep an open mind. Question, learn, apply/experiment, then question again. What you share is up to you.

Wing Chun forever. yes.

Sorry about the mistake everyone. I have not personally talked to Shr Fu Lo about who were the first students of Yip man, ( He speaks English, but I don't feel it is really appropriate for me to ask as I am still new to his school. )

About my source of the lineage information, I later did some checking and I found a site that seems pretty encompassing with its coverage and it confirms what you said about the first few students. I will make sure I do some more cross ref. to make sure I get my "FACTS" straight! lol

Here is the site
    http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...n=WCP.Lineages

Cheers, and thank you for the welcome!!

WingChun4ver!!
    The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet.
    Thats why I recommend Verizon DSL.

So what does the video say to you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    ... and it all gets said when the man steps in at 15-20 seconds.
    Buddha and Bakxie - what are you thoughts on the video? The link was posted and you guys really did not say much, thus one could assume your thoughts are negative. Overall what are your thoughts? Not trying to stir up anything as much as get your opinions? My WC is mediocre at best, but the video did not strike me as being negative. Also, I was not blown away by it, but the folks seem to be training hard and seem to be doing well - based on my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    Buddha and Bakxie - what are you thoughts on the video? The link was posted and you guys really did not say much, thus one could assume your thoughts are negative.
    You can assume whatever floats your boat.

Fact is that a video showing somebody in action DOES mean more than 1000 words - which may be twisting reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post

no need for 1000 when 2 will suffice

[[[[ Chasing Hands ]]]]]]
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    Buddha and Bakxie - what are you thoughts on the video? The link was posted and you guys really did not say much....
    There wasn't any need to say more.
    OTOH, it's entirely possible to use up several thousand words (or more) and still not "say much".
    (I know, because I used to be "tech writer", with a "major dabble" in writing "Executive Summaries")

... thus one could assume your thoughts are negative.
    Not always a good assumption.

Overall what are your thoughts?
    Overall?
    That's an easy one.... it was a video.

Not trying to stir up anything as much as get your opinions? My WC is mediocre at best, but the video did not strike me as being negative.
    My comment was NOT "negative".
    The video was presented as "saying more than a thousand words".... my response was meant to indicate that was fulfilled by the few seconds I indicated.

My own WC is nonexistent.
    OTOH, I have trained long enough to recognize good "kung fu"/"sau"/"skills" when I see them.

Also, I was not blown away by it, but the folks seem to be training hard and seem to be doing well - based on my observations.
    The "production values" weren't all that great, but the video did well enough to show the training AND what he cared to show of his own skills.... which he did pretty much "right off the bat".... and then proceeded to "lay back".

Some masters will make a "big production" out of a demo, slowly building up to "the big finish".
    Others will simply show what they want you to see "right off", and then let you "stick that in your pipe and smoke it".

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    no need for 1000 when 2 will suffice

[[[[ Chasing Hands ]]]]]]
    Students tend to "do that"... it IS a "learning process" and you usually have to "learn to walk" before doing anything "more ambitious".

OTOH , commenting that a group of "beginners" is [[[[Chasing Hands ]]]]" is not a commentary on the single "hand" shown by the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I know of Lo Man Kam and have a lot of respect for him. His son Gordon was living here in the US for awhile. Don't know if he still is or not. But like Kenton said, probably the only reason he isn't mentioned more is that his students aren't members of this forum. Please feel free to share some specifics from the Lo Man Kam lineage with us! I'd love to hear more from Duncan Leung students as well. But we can't twist their arms and make them post on our humble little forum!
    I don't know how long I'v been a member. I don't like to talk about my Sifu or his father too much. I don't even talk about my Sifu's other sifu. Their ability should do all the talking, not me. If you are near any of Sifu Duncan's students or Sifu Lo Man's students I'm sure you can judge them how you want. I have never trained with Lo Man personally only his son. I'm 100% confident that his son is a good representation of his father. Nobody has really any students that are amature or pro fighters so if your looking for that...

I'm sure you can find some sparring clips still on Sifu Duncan's old website of Lo Man's son. Why does it matter? unless you live near them .. if you do just visit their schools. Ask for proof if you want. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Students tend to "do that"... it IS a "learning process" and you usually have to "learn to walk" before doing anything "more ambitious".

OTOH , commenting that a group of "beginners" is [[[[Chasing Hands ]]]]" is not a commentary on the single "hand" shown by the teacher.
    I used to think chasing hands were the best solution and worked fine alone. Lets just say I wised up to reality.
    Last edited by monji112000; 03-09-2008 at 07:21 PM.