Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniforms and Competition thread

Uniforms and Competition thread

In keeping with the recent trend of having mostly relevant threads on KFM
    I thought I'd toss out this for debate:

How important are the flashy satin/silk uniforms and why?

I've noticed through the years that a silky will get the performer somewhere up to a .5 advantage with most judges at TCMA forms competitions. Other than the person looking prettier, I really can't find the reason why that is the case, but it is the way things are. I know from the get-go that a competitor won't win the gold if he's wearing his practice jammies no matter how good he performs.

In other MAs, there's a reason for stiff uniform requirements. Mainly it's because a good/clean uniform is seen as protection from MRSA and ringworm. But TCMA forms competitors, as far as I know, don't have to deal with those issues.

So why is there that perceived advantage for silkies. Is there some type of cultural significance that I'm missing?

fire away-

Most traditional guys at Taiji Legacy wear T-shirts and black pants.

Maybe you just live in a very gay part of the country.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-29-2008 at 07:16 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Silk never helped me much

Personally, after competing for a while I feel that the cloth uniforms(whether it be any traditional uniforms , or the monk style outfits) look much better than the silks. I have also worn both in competions, and there was really no effect that it ever had on my performance at all, and I have won top 3 places in different comps. regardless of what I wear.

I dont really know why I dont like them too much anymore, probably just because of the shiny-ness of the uniform that it gives off, it just looks tacky & cheesy to me after seeing them all the time.
    Amituofo~

Well in forms competition its all about looking good. So overall appearance and performance says a lot. If that can be achieved by silky uniforms then by all means I am for it. I've been know to wear silky stuff on occassions, and not just in the ring Kinda like a job interview, the suit give the first impression, what you say in the interview gets you the job. Anything less will cause people to think twice or discount you altogether. So in a forms competition you walk into the ring looking put together, then perform well. That will give you a leg up over someone not so put together and also perform well.

Now in contact sports such as sanda/sanshou, continious sparring, chi sao, and even push hands. Silky uniforms are useless.
    Last edited by xcakid; 02-29-2008 at 08:20 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Greetings..

As a judge, i like the silk because it shows the slightest movements, imbalances, and if the competitor is utilizing certain internal methods, the silks will enhance the observation.. that being said, there is absolutely no point value for or against silks.. at judges meetings we are always mindful that we are judging the person's knowledge and skill, not the uniform or the tailor..

Interestingly, silks generate micro-currents through friction, another concept for another time.. Later, in the evening, the ladies like the silks for other reasons..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Interestingly, silks generate micro-currents through friction, another concept for another time.. Later, in the evening, the ladies like the silks for other reasons..

Be well...
    For the same reason, chicks get awful "nipply" in silk, which is why it should be standard for all sport competitions.

Even chess.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Greetings..

For the same reason, chicks get awful "nipply" in silk, which is why it should be standard for all sport competitions.
    Now, that'll get you extra "points"..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I'm a latex guy myself...but then again, I've never had an interest in forms competition. Maybe I should?
    A unique snowflake

Forms competition is ALL about presentation. You are asking 5 judges to look at someone doing a form and say who is best.

Now, let's say you have two guys who are technically 100% equal. BUT...one of them is performing in tshirt and black pants...and the other is in silks. Would YOU as a judge give a little bit of an upgrade to the silks...many would for what it is worth.

Now, a lot depends on what you are doing. for example, if you are competing in Internal forms - Taijiquan, Bagua zhang, Hsing I quan...it DOES look better to perform in silks. If not silk, then at least something with more fluid long sleeves and appropriate length pants. (sorry, high water kung fu black pants just look like you shrank them in the dryer).

If you are doing Trad. Northern...again, an outfit that flows with your body movements will look better.

Southern...you can get away with with less uniform....T shirts...but you need the arms for it. I mean, if you got flabby or skinny arms and hairy pits...it is simply not going to work.

Forms is about presentation. Silk or other uniforms make things look nice...but they do NOT make the form any less traditional. If you wear silks and still don't have speed and power...you are just doing a dance in a nicer outfit.

The judges STILL have to score on what you do.

i only wear my flashy silk uniform if the competition requires it, other then that its a school t-shirt and kung fu pants, usually not matching, MK can vouch for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    other then that its a school t-shirt and kung fu pants, usually not matching, MK can vouch for me.
    He's practically color-blind when it comes to fashion.

A few years back, I was judging and a tall, skinny, very gangly guy was competing. He did both Taijiquan and a northern style.

We was very flexible but like I said gangly...to the point where it was distracting to what he was doing.

He asked how to improve his scores. I told him that for his level, just keep training...but that long term he had a problem I had when I was younger...tall and skinny and you could see every unsmooth angle. I then told him that one way to avoid this was to wear a uniform that was a bit more loose fitting and that the pants being longer and baggier would cover up angles that were correct form but not as appealing as say a person that was more the "ideal" body type.

Mind you, I KNEW this because I had expereinced the same thing and decided that when I demo, I would pay attention to what I wore - since it was a demo and not a sparring match.

The competitor went off and then posted garbage on the web about being told to buy silks...never said that...I said he had to be aware of his body and how it looked...and how to minimize bad things and maximize good ones.

Now, after all that, saw him in a few more events...never judging in his ring...and the judges all scored him down...for the ganglieness... His choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    The competitor went off and then posted garbage on the web about being told to buy silks...never said that...I said he had to be aware of his body and how it looked...and how to minimize bad things and maximize good ones.
    Guess its not only the media that distorts the truth for their own gain.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I am involved in an annual competition where a point is given for uniform. Since the competition is dominated by traditional Kung Fu there is a mix of uniforms from t-shirts and pants to silks depending on the school. As judges in this particular competition, we are not looking for the best looking uniform (this is not a fashion contest) but are ensuring that whatever the competitor is wearing is tidy. No matter what the competitor is wearing, it needs to be neat, tidy and clean. Ripped or dirty clothing is penalized but no bonus is given for silks.
    Richard Chow

My School
    My Blog