Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA & violence

Hybrid View

What is the point then?

You said it might fall on the shoulders of coaches in MMA gyms. So I pointed out that the poseurs who open gyms have no clue anyway. Notice you never see guys from legit gyms involved in this stuff.

I know no one I've ever trained with would do this crap. And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    if it were teenagers then they are probably fighting out there because they can't fight a full on adult rules match anywhere and, as kids, they think they are bulletproof and should be allowed and because they aren't, they take it upon themselves.

not really any different a situation than anything else that is forbidden to kids that they decide they want to do.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    What is the point then?

You said it might fall on the shoulders of coaches in MMA gyms. So I pointed out that the poseurs who open gyms have no clue anyway. Notice you never see guys from legit gyms involved in this stuff.

I know no one I've ever trained with would do this crap. And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.
    The point being that wither someone is "qualified" to teach MMA ( and I put qualified in quotations because qualifications are up in the at this time) is not the issue, the issue is instilling a sense of responsibility and common sense into a trainee in regards to what he is learning and how/where he can test it.
    If the people teaching it don't care, why should the trainee?

By the way, did you just mention "lineage" ??
    LOL !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If the people teaching it don't care, why should the trainee?
    That's my point. You can't expect an unqualified guy who opened up an MMA gym to cash in on the MMA craze or stroke his ego to instill values in the students.

Becca, my vid player at work is all jacked up. What was in that vid?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Sorry, couldn't find the story in print, only in vid. It's a story out of Cincinatti on the children's MMA program run by JG MMA Academy. Jorge Gurgel is very well known in most MMA circles as a good solid trainer.

(note: see Tu & th at 5pm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

MMA doesn't promote violence, and I'll kick anyone's arse who says otherwise!!!!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Becca, running a kids MMA program and having your students playing MMA fighter in the streets are two diffent things entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Becca, running a kids MMA program and having your students playing MMA fighter in the streets are two diffent things entirely.
    Agreed. BUT..... you teach them young how to do MMA, then deny them the chance to compete till they are 16, the kids are going to go roll in the park. It really has little to do with the trainer. What I got from what you were posting was that a good teacher would not teach a kid the wrong way and most of the people opening MMA clubs lately have no clue about MMA, as you define it. JG MMA is a very well know club run by experienced MMA fighters and world renowned trainers. But all thier training aint going to keep a basically good kid with training from being goaded into a fight. I used to be one of those moms who was shocked when my kid did something morronic that he knew better than to do. Then I woke up. Good kids do dumb things because they don't engage the brain before the mouth/body/ego, ect. You train a 6-year-old, you will get a kid who ends up using it before the age of 18. And probably before a crowd of people. MMA is the "in thing" so rolling in the park is a quick ticket to being one of the in kids.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I'll be glad when MMA craze cools its jets. All these Dieselheads really annoy the community of martial arts. If it weren't illegal, the posers would have been run out of town all over the world by real MA experts a long time ago. Alas the wild west, so to speak, is over. For better or worse? I don't know.

But it's time for all martial arts to evolve.

Security

Gyms should sign up their MMA guys to provide security for the place, kick people out more. A lot of guys go to things like that to cause a ruckus, they should be slapped on the wrists and thrown out in a blaze of pathetic glory. The government should simply make laws about security at those things, less security at concerts and more at big crazed white guy fests.
    As for MMA its high time it gives up the dogged military crap and start taking on some of the 70s style of martial arts, I'm sick of watching dudes sprawled out with their gracie ****. Western wrestling, sambo, and the sort of mongol/hung-gar/sanshou stuff is where the grappling should be going. That stuffs better than pro-wrestling for the spectator and its real.

I didn't realize there was censorship, gracie s wards.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Conway View Post
    Gyms should sign up their MMA guys to provide security for the place, kick people out more. A lot of guys go to things like that to cause a ruckus, they should be slapped on the wrists and thrown out in a blaze of pathetic glory. The government should simply make laws about security at those things, less security at concerts and more at big crazed white guy fests...
    Awwww... Did somebody get kicked out of a concert?

If you don't like modern MMA then don't watch it. I'm not sure where you are making the distinction between Jiujitsu and wrestling. Have you actually seen submissionwrestling latly?

I did juvenile boxing as a teen. we were not allowed full contact matches until 16 and no fc matches without full gear.

that's 14oz gloves, header gear, cup and mouthguard.

not sure kids should be choking each other out while their bodies are still developing.

adult and children bodies are hugely different and training in hard martial arts as a child with full contact etc does have a chance attached to it of irregularities at an older age.

if done properly and with utmost concern for children's safety, then you could do it.

better than the Thai stuff like betting on 9 year olds to knock each others lights out. That kind of stuff is just pathetic.

I do agree there are a lot of schlemiels running ma gyms out there. probably about 90% more than there should be really , but what are ya gonna do? we live in a capitalist and individually aggressive, assertive society that encourages and nurtures domination over others.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

adult and children bodies are hugely different and training in hard martial arts as a child with full contact etc does have a chance attached to it of irregularities at an older age.

if done properly and with utmost concern for children's safety, then you could do it.

better than the Thai stuff like betting on 9 year olds to knock each others lights out. That kind of stuff is just pathetic.

I agree. I think kids can participate in martial arts, but they have to participate as children, not pro fighters in training. I'm not going to bring up basic dog psychology....but there's something about that spartan pardigm of MMA that requires adult comprehension.

Teach the kid wrestling, teach him karate, kickboxing, etc. all with requisite safety gear and precautions. Let him blend later in life and develop that killer instinct on his own--not as something that's a product of his MA training, but as a competitive instinct curious to competition.

Can't tap out against a stun gun

I suspect there's a lot more to this story....
    Mixed martial arts promoter injured, 15 suspects sought after Que. hotel brawl
    Canwest News Service
    Published: Monday, July 28, 2008

OTTAWA - A 28-year-old Mississauga, Ont., man and another 38-year-old man were knocked unconscious following a brawl in a Gatineau, Que., hotel room Sunday that sent three people to hospital.

Both men regained consciousness later in the day. None of the injuries were life-threatening.

Police responded to a call Sunday of a beating at a hotel room just after 4 a.m.

Lieut. Claude Vaillancourt said six men and two women were in a room on the eighth floor when they heard a knock on the door.

When one occupant opened the door, 15 people entered the room.

The six men were shot with a stun gun and beaten with bottles, said police. The women were unharmed.

Fifteen suspects, all from Ontario, were in Gatineau to participate in an Ultimate Fighting Challenge event at a local arena Saturday night, Vaillancourt said.

The event's promoter was one of the victims taken to hospital, police said.

No names have been released.
    Brawl after Hull martial arts meet leaves man in coma
    Source: CBC News
    Posted: 07/28/08 8:25AM
    Filed Under: Canada

A man remained in a coma in hospital Monday following an assault in Gatineau's Hull district Saturday night on three men who had just participated in a mixed martial arts tournament nearby, Gatineau police reported.

As of Monday morning, no one had been arrested in relation to the attack in which 10 people allegedly showed up at a Best Western hotel room with stun guns and beat the three occupants with bottles and their fists.

The three victims, aged 28 to 38, including two Ontario men, were sent to hospital. Two of them, who suffered from cuts and facial injuries, have been released.

Police confirmed all three had participated in an ultimate fighting tournament at the Robert Guertin Arena Saturday evening and one was the promoter of the event.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart