Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you know of KIU SAO...???

What do you know of KIU SAO...???

Literally means: "bridging hands"

(kiu = bridge)......(sao = hands).

So I look upon it as the "bridge" you cross in order to send your troops into battle - and therefore it almost always means some form of limb-to-limb connection between you and the opponent. (Although technically you could say that any path you take into his territory - even if there was no resistance met in the form of one of his limbs contacting or intercepting you - could still be considered a "bridge").

HOWEVER, my understanding of KIU SAO is that it almost always entails some sort of limb-to-limb contact point between the two of you that, if handled skillfully, allows you to defend against what might be coming "across the bridge" (or attempting to come across) and into your territory looking to do damage (ie.- a punch, a kick, a knee, an elbow, a grab of some kind, etc.)...

and more importantly...a limb-to-limb contact point that serves as a "bridge" over which you bring your troops across to do damage.

So any contact point - even a very short range one - can be considered an opportunity for a Kiu Sao maneuver of some kind.

That said, KIU SAO almost always means a LONGER DISTANCE exists as a starting point than what would be the case in dan chi sao or double arm chi sao, because the closer range used in double arm chi sao usually means that the bridge between the two of you has already in a sense been crossed - since the both of you are just within a half step or less (perhaps no step at all) from hitting each other.

And therefore the starting point of KIU SAO is usually one of your extended limbs contacting one of his extended limbs from a distance that's further away than where your bodies would be if it were double arm chi sao.

So it's going to entail more footwork than the basic half step mostly used in double arm - and usually a different angling of the body on the way in (as one example, what's done in the last section of the VT bart jum do (butterfly sword) form - which is the same MON SAO type move used in TWC's bil jee form, btw...)

(I should also note at this point that the term "kiu sao" is not used in TWC - but other words and terms are used to convey the same exact concept as I'm defining it here).

And while I'm on the subject of different wing chun systems defining it differently - Moy Yat, for example, used to teach a FURTHER EXTENDED ARMS position version of double arm chi sao that he called "cheng kiu sao". (He translated it as "long arm chi sao" - and the contact point was the four hands - not wrists or forearms).

So one of the points about KIU SAO then is that it will almost always entail having more SPACE to account for and occupy than in basic double arm chi sao...more TIME to account for since more can happen in that interval of time than what is usually the case from the more closer range double arm starting position...and more types of ENERGY to develop and work with since you must now do more than simply punch within a half steps' distance, or stick, run, grab, pak, lop, etc. from that same distance.

(And more skill sets to be developed in terms of what parts of your limbs should be used against what part(s) of his at any given moment - since the distance, timing, and energy issues also correspond to different distances on your arms, wrists, elbows, hands, and even fingers...as well as the same principles applying to different parts of your legs, knees, and feet - since the legs can also be making a "kiu sao" bridge at any given moment as well).

But back to the hands for a moment. In fact, gum sao and po pai are both "extended" hands and the corresponding more "extended" energies (or force) that seam to be a BRIDGE all their own - in that they "bridge" different energy types (push and strike and stiff arm - all in one)...and they bridge different range of distances...and a slightly different timing since it will take slightly longer to complete a properly executed jum sao or po pai.

So KIU SAO is about bridging into his territory from different starting points than dan chi sao or double arm chi sao.

And more combinations of things can happen here regarding angling, footwork, energy (or force), punching , palm strikes, kicks, (including more longer extended kicks than a front heel kick)....knees, elbows, armlocks, sweeps, etc.

And another extremely important concept thoroughly covered in KIU SAO is "facing" (Deui Ying)....for at certain longer range distances especially - you don't always face your centerline to the opponent's center-of-mass...you might have to face your centerline to another point on his body where a blow or an attack is coming in (ie.- his elbow when he punches from longer range, his knee when he kicks from a longer range)...

And you may have to punch or kick back at him from a point other than your centerline (ie.- a shoulder line or chest line)...etc.

It's going to depend upon how much SPACE you need to account for, cover, occupy, and control - for longer looping punches and kicks cannot be "faced" safely with your centerline facing his center-of-mass since you may not be close enough to CONTROL THE SPACE BETWEEN THE TWO OF YOU completely and seal the area off with forward force, energy, and instant penetration, ie.- you may get hit or kicked because you're not close enough to take advantage of the 'shortest distance between two points is a straight line' principle....

Since the preferred wing chun way is to drive back him on his heels or collapsing his structure with your "troops on the bridge and at his gates" (literally and figuratively, ie.- lop sao, chuen sao (threading hand), gum sao, kwan sao, po pai, and even an aggressive bong sao with a lan sao type energy come to mind). But first you have to have sealed the area before that strategy works - accounting for the three main factors once again: the timing needed, the space you have to occupy, and the amount (and type) of energy/force you need to use or absorb/deflect/redirect down, up, to the side, or away.

Hence very close quarter standup combat is the wing chun preference - and KIU SAO is a means of getting there.

So KIU SAO has a more dynamic flow of the entire fight than what happens in double arm chi sao,....including breaking apart completely (gor sau/sparring) and coming back in via SOME FORM OF KIU SAO - or just by punching or kicking in at targets on lines that don't entail any limb-to-limb contact before the strike is made.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks for that summary Victor! I couldn't keep up with the discussion on the HFY thread and have wondered what conclusions were reached. And you said all of that without once sounding like a Chinese nuclear physicist! It sounds like the "Kiu Sao" you describe is an organized method of teaching how to "close the gap."

Don´t understand Chinese and don´t use terminology to explain the principles and concepts I teach, but from what you say, my interpretation is simple "bridging" however I tend to use the following definitions.

Chi Sao is also called the "bridge" between forms and fighting, Chum Kiu is the "bridging hands" form.

A thought I use from the second form which is one of the few "words" from William Cheung relates to the first third, where after the 3 turns you use the double lan to maintain being square onto your opponent, the Ding Sau is used to understand range, Tan Sau brings the elbows to the fixed position, Tok and Jut control the arms before the palms are used to strike.

Essentially, always try to be square to your opponent know your range and maintain the fixed elbow position and control before striking.

What I add to the Chi Sau being the "bridge" discussion is that any bridge needs steps on and off to make it effective, I teach "entry techniques" to get onto the bridge and describe "off loading techniques" which finish the confrontation once on the other side.

From my interpretation of your post you are mainly referring to what I call "entry" strategies, whether using arms or legs the simple understanding of what goes on before you have made contact with your opponent, the whole issue of defensive or offensive methods depends upon what is at the core of Wing Chun mentality, "if´s", "but´s" and "maybe´s" of reality.

If we could predict the future we can state with certainty what a student should do when faced with a violent confrontation, but being lacking in that particular aspect all I can offer is a more generalised but flexible way of analysing potential fighting scenarios.

There is always the most well known street defence that relates to "bridging" if bridging is pre-contact, when faced with a fight situation RUN
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

"It sounds like the 'Kiu Sao' you describe is an organized method of teaching how to "close the gap." (Keith P. Myers/ KPM)

***BUT with the specific dimension being that limb-to-contact (usually one of your arms - but sometimes two) will be the guiding connector/force that leads to the actual striking of hard targets on his body and head - or a lock or a sweep.

Think of the line that extends to his body and head targets as being the actual "bridge" CONNECTION (literally just like a bridge) facilitated when one of your arms starts to contact his arm (or arms). Although getting "off the bridge" and just striking directly at targets will be done often - as the idea is not to chase hands but to hit hard targets.

And a leg against a leg can serve the same purpose - or even one (or both) of your arms/hands) against some part of one of his legs.

All these things can serve the same kiu (bridging) function.

So kiu sao, first and foremost, is a contact point CONCEPT that points a path one can take into his space and hard targets.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-17-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Actually YKS WCK's 12 major keywords (Daap, Jeet, Chum, Biu, etc.) and Gu Lao WCK's keywords (Kuen, Kiu, Jeung, Bong, Jee) are all bridging concepts. As are my conceptual keywords.

The term Kiu Sao is used in virtually all Southern fist like Hung Gar, Bak Mei, Lung Ying, Southern Mantis, Choy Lay Fut, etc. It refers to the distance from the fingers to the elbow in general, but can also relate to bridging the gap.

For example, Hung Gar has the 12 Kiu Sao: Gong, Yau, Bik, Jik, Fun, Ding, etc.
    Bak Mei has Mor Kiu, Shui Kiu, Lan Yiu... Choy Lay Fut has Poon Kiu, Chuen Kiu, Pak Kiu, etc. Mantis has various Gwaat Siu, Mor Siu, etc. They are all ways to link up and join in with your opponent.

We have a saying, "Have bridge, cross bridge; no bridge, build a bridge."

Of course, various systems have their own definitions, but this is my understanding from Southern Fist and WCK.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Actually YKS WCK's 12 major keywords (Daap, Jeet, Chum, Biu, etc.) and Gu Lao WCK's keywords (Kuen, Kiu, Jeung, Bong, Jee) are all bridging concepts. As are my conceptual keywords.

The term Kiu Sao is used in virtually all Southern fist like Hung Gar, Bak Mei, Lung Ying, Southern Mantis, Choy Lay Fut, etc. It refers to the distance from the fingers to the elbow in general, but can also relate to bridging the gap.

For example, Hung Gar has the 12 Kiu Sao: Gong, Yau, Bik, Jik, Fun, Ding, etc.
    Bak Mei has Mor Kiu, Shui Kiu, Lan Yiu... Choy Lay Fut has Poon Kiu, Chuen Kiu, Pak Kiu, etc. Mantis has various Gwaat Siu, Mor Siu, etc. They are all ways to link up and join in with your opponent.

We have a saying, "Have bridge, cross bridge; no bridge, build a bridge."

Of course, various systems have their own definitions, but this is my understanding from Southern Fist and WCK.
    You beat me to it Robert. I was going to say that the term "kiu sao" is used across the board in Southern Chinese arts. Anytime arm to arm or arm to leg contact is made a "bridge" is created.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

chi kiu

Btw, some people within the wing chun world also use the term "chi kiu" - which simply means "sticking" to the bridge...

(chi = sticking)....(kiu = bridge).

A sub category of KIU SAO, we could say.

A really simple example of such a maneuver (wherein contact is never lost because the strategy is to always stay attached)...would be the basic dan chi sao drill: the counter to the opponent's attempt to strike never loses limb-to-limb contact.

A very important CONTROL concept/principle - especially at a very close range. CHI KIU training can help teach how to completely eat up the most crucial SPACE between the two of you and provides great speed of response (TIME)...while also providing very important information about the amount/direction of the ENERGY one should use and that energy/force that one is up against.

It also helps AS A STARTING POINT in the training one needs in order to learn how to develop the ability to disrupt the opponent's balance.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-17-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how all this kiu sao relates to charging in and chain punching your opponent?

it's obvious

remember the saying

loy lau, hoy sung, lut sau jit chung

if you are beyond contact distance, charge in with chain punches!!

Quote Originally Posted by UKBBC View Post
    remember the saying

That's very funny.

Comment on UKBBC's post

UKBBC
    Registered User Join Date: May 2007

it's obvious

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

remember the saying

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Obvious-No?
    The comment is a misunderstanding of the kuit.

Context is everything- WSL is just showing some things to a student.

Over- inferring is a common problem in viewing clips.

Enjoy- as is.

joy chaudhuri

I was actually jesting

Having said that, if a 300lb person wanted to do it against a 150lb person, I bet it would work really really well...

Quote Originally Posted by UKBBC View Post
    I was actually jesting

Having said that, if a 300lb person wanted to do it against a 150lb person, I bet it would work really really well...

Size doesn’t make a difference, only the mentality…

Ali Rahim.

Re UKBBC

UKBBC
    Registered User Join Date: May 2007

I was actually jesting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((No problem with jesting. But if either person is interested in learning structure, timing, position
    etc. using muscle power 300 lb or not-it will not help in learning wing chun.IMO ofcourse.
    joy chaudhuri))

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Size doesn’t make a difference, only the mentality…

Ali Rahim.
    thats coming from someone of your size. Someone my size doesn't get that advantage. A stronger, faster, opponent is always going to have an edge. Thats why you must get a technique advantage. Sometimes you just are not lucky, and you must live with a disadvantage. A faster, stronger, more technical person...